• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone explain why higher priced copies sell, while lower ones sit...?

51 posts in this topic

Assume all other things are equal. Assume it's a 9.8 White pages of an 80's book that is common as dirt.

Can anyone tell me why a copy priced at $92 with free shipping sits, while MULTIPLE other copies sell for more, one as much as $145ish.

Can anyone explain that to me...?

Madness!

Assume all other things are equal. Assume it's a 9.8 White pages of an 80's book that is common as dirt.

Can anyone tell me why a copy priced at $92 with free shipping sits, while MULTIPLE other copies sell for more, one as much as $145ish.

Madness!

Is this eBay? Also is the $145 via auction vs the $92 BIN?

Madness!

Is this eBay? Also is the $145 via auction vs the $92 BIN?

Most of them through eBay. I think the $145 is through Lonestar or Heritage.

Sometimes it's a ton of factors on eBay, some sellers don't have their items come up right at the top if the sort is "best match", also there are people who refuse to buy things on eBay based on principle or do not have an account etc

I'm always surprised how some books will do twice as good via auction vs BIN.

Nah, it's not that. This isn't something with 400 listings, just 30. What I don't get is why someone would bid on a listing for $90 start bid plus $12.50 shipping, but not just BUY the one that was $92 with free shipping right below it.

:screwy:

I'll pay more for some issues if I am able to purchase many other issues from the same, trusted seller. As a Canadian I'm generally doing my best to spread out my shipping costs whenever I buy.

US free shipping means nothing positive to me, I'd rather see the prices for the goods and let me worry about how much it is going to cost to ship it. The exception is a seller that offers a nominal credit against my international shipping costs......beyond that, if I see 'free US shipping'' I am more than likely to pass since the pricing is built to cover single issues shipments with buried shipping costs.

I have thought this many times and still can't figure it out? If both are identical and both sellers have substantial 100% feedback why on earth would you opt for the more expensive one?

If you see a listing with free shipping are you more likely to look for more books to order from that particular seller?

Even if the real US domestic shipping costs are only $11 and a seller only loads a third to half of that cost into each free US shipping listing...when you order seven books, how much is shipping really costing you?

The mysteries of ebay users are deep and unknowable. From my own experience I only typically use BIN where sometimes a little bit of descriptive language on why this book matters will help sell.

Auctions are hit or miss. List during slow periods on ebay, of which there are many, and you could get half the real value or less. Other ways to lose money are many, including listing anything auction that is not hot, that ends at an odd hour or slow day.

Sometimes auctions have the potential to bring in more than similar BIN items. Why? Because people get in bidding wars with other people on the same rush. The problem is once it ends, will they pay? Many get buyers remorse and either take forever to pay or just don't. I find auctions on anything other than the hottest items a bad deal for sellers.

A lot of wealthier people don't invest in research, because money doesn't really matter to them as much as time.

You might also think of the too-good-to-be-true angle. Raise your price to $125 and maybe you will sell more.

Madness!

Madness!

This certainly does not apply to every situation, but in Marketing it is called a Cost Perceived Benefit. As some people mentioned, it could be trust a buyer has in a seller for grading. It could be the packaging and shipping options offered. Or, as the name insinuates, the buyer just perceives that something is better about an item because of a higher cost.

If it's a 9.8 graded from the same company then that is strange. People seem to be cheap as hell lately so I'd think they would price check the options. I'd think shill bidding but if they both are BIN sales then it's probably just one of the strange occupancies on E-Bay.

There's a variation of this trend I also find puzzling, but maybe slightly explainable.

People buy pre-orders for exclusive variants on Ebay for $100... when the original website still has them available for sale at $25. It's baffling, but I assume some people just don't know where to go.

Recent example: The Gabrielle Dell'Otto Venom #1 variant Color and B&W sketch set is currently selling on Ebay for $50-60 as a pre-order, yet is available for order directly for $24.99 at the original site.

There's a variation of this trend I also find puzzling, but maybe slightly explainable.

People buy pre-orders for exclusive variants on Ebay for $100... when the original website still has them available for sale at $25. It's baffling, but I assume some people just don't know where to go.

Recent example: The Gabrielle Dell'Otto Venom #1 variant Color and B&W sketch set is currently selling on Ebay for $50-60 as a pre-order, yet is available for order directly for $24.99 at the original site.

I think you are correct about people not knowing. I also see this over and over again for comics. I'd recommend that someone enter the comic in Google and do a little research before pulling the trigger on an E-Bay auction for a comic that has not shipped yet.

Madness!

I typically pay more for copies that have better wraps.