• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question re Comic Book Storage

13 posts in this topic

This might sound silly, but is there any benefit to storing comics in an "acid-free" box if they are already bagged and boarded?

Thanks in advance

Yep. Especially for long-term storage.

In short, the book is always going to deteriorate. Minimising the contributing factors around the book will help in keeping its current condition as good as possible for as long as possible.

So, fully buffered acid-free backing boards, mylar and acid-free boxes. Hell, even some micro chamber paper.

Comes down to what the book is worth to you in the long-run. Things that are either emotionally/nostalgically or financially worthless to you, probably don't warrant the effort.

IMO, if you want to preserve a book, do all you can to preserve it. I don't really see the point in using partially acid-free boards in mylar, or using an acid-free box for polybags etc etc... But that's just me.

Unless it's over a thousand dollars.

I don't disagree shad, I guess this is the key part of it all... Just what the book is worth to you financially or emotionally and then what you're prepared to do to preserve it for the long run.

I don't have any raw books worth that level of effort.

"This might sound silly, but is there any benefit to storing comics in an "acid-free" box if they are already bagged and boarded?

Thanks in advance"

I have come to the conclusion that the biggest myths in collecting surround acidity and comics. It is important to keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of the acidity in comics comes from the lignin in the pulp paper, NOT from an outside source. Another important point is acidity migrates from acid to base (Yes, I confirmed with a chemist friend of mine recently!). Thus, the boxes are more threatened by acidity from unbagged comics rather than the other way around.

It is also worth understanding that the bags, especially Mylar, create a barrier that acidity cannot migrate through.

The one acid risk to your comics that needs to be considered is the backing boards. It is best to use backing boards that are acid free throughout, NOT acid free coated because the coatings do not last. That is a possible source of acidity that could be additive to the comic pages.

By the way, today's modern comics will be the 30 year-old comics in 3 decades. If you don't want them to become too yellow or brittle, now is the time to deal with it, not 25 years from now.

Rich

It is important to keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of the acidity in comics comes from the lignin in the pulp paper, NOT from an outside source. Another important point is acidity migrates from acid to base (Yes, I confirmed with a chemist friend of mine recently!). Thus, the boxes are more threatened by acidity from unbagged comics rather than the other way around.

Rubbish

Normal cardboard is chock full of lignin, since it is made from groundwood pulp. This makes it FAR more acidic than modern comics printed on high quality paper. Storing unbagged modern comics in cardboard boxes will result in acid damage from the cardboard boxes to the comic books over time.

As far as older newsprint comics, it would just be a guess as to which was more acidic, the cardboard box or the comic. But they are both highly acidic.

Drew

This might sound silly, but is there any benefit to storing comics in an "acid-free" box if they are already bagged and boarded?

Thanks in advance

If they are bagged in Mylar with buffered throughout boards from Gerber or Cole there probably would be no noticeable change after 20 years in a plain old normal cardboard box

With coated boards, I would not expect this to be the case

I know some people that mylar4 and fullback every modern.

lol, I do this. Mylites2+fullback+microchamber then goes inside one size bigger Archive. Planning on getting a few acid-free boxes from E. Gerber when I make a bulk order of Mylar bags and backing boards (currently waiting on sampler pack so I can decide on sizes).

That said, I do majority of my reading in digital. I don't have a large physical collection of comics (around 200 maybe?). When I buy printed floppies, it's because I've already read it on digital and like it a lot, and I want to have a physical copy (or two) for my collection. Financially, the storage probably costs more than the comics are worth but the emotional/nostalgia factor is worth the relatively small cost of preservation.

Granted, acid-free boxes are likely unnecessary with Mylar bags. As DrawerBox mentioned:

It is also worth understanding that the bags, especially Mylar, create a barrier that acidity cannot migrate through.

The one acid risk to your comics that needs to be considered is the backing boards. It is best to use backing boards that are acid free throughout, NOT acid free coated because the coatings do not last. That is a possible source of acidity that could be additive to the comic pages.

The point about the backing boards should be noted since backing boards usually go inside the bags with comics whereas the bag acts as a barrier between box and comics. Mind, after Mylar bags and fully buffered boards, microchamber is probably a better investment before getting acid-free boxes.

It is important to keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of the acidity in comics comes from the lignin in the pulp paper, NOT from an outside source. Another important point is acidity migrates from acid to base (Yes, I confirmed with a chemist friend of mine recently!). Thus, the boxes are more threatened by acidity from unbagged comics rather than the other way around.

Rubbish

Normal cardboard is chock full of lignin, since it is made from groundwood pulp. This makes it FAR more acidic than modern comics printed on high quality paper. Storing unbagged modern comics in cardboard boxes will result in acid damage from the cardboard boxes to the comic books over time.

As far as older newsprint comics, it would just be a guess as to which was more acidic, the cardboard box or the comic. But they are both highly acidic.

Drew

I'm not going to attempt to speak for every manufacturer, but I know ours are not made of groundwood pulp. No argument about modern comics being less acidic. Everything is in degrees. But the most acidic paper of all are older comics on pulp paper since those publishers used the cheapest, lowest grade of paper possible. Aging is also a factor as paper becomes more acidic over time, especially if it is not kept cool.

But all of this misses the point of my post: The bags form a barrier that makes whether the box is made of acid -free materials or not a moot point.

Rich

Rubbish

Drew

I'm not going to attempt to speak for every manufacturer, but I know ours are not made of groundwood pulp. No argument about modern comics being less acidic. Everything is in degrees. But the most acidic paper of all are older comics on pulp paper since those publishers used the cheapest, lowest grade of paper possible. Aging is also a factor as paper becomes more acidic over time, especially if it is not kept cool.

But all of this misses the point of my post: The bags form a barrier that makes whether the box is made of acid -free materials or not a moot point.

Rich

Happy drawerboxes customer here :hi:

I'm very surprised that you're claiming your cardboard isn't made from groundwood pulp, though - what are they made of, then?