• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man #55...

16 posts in this topic

Now losing some traction, as a sale of a 9.6 this month dropped to $2,800. The same thing happened with Captain Marvel #1: a sudden cross-media related surge which ebbs away long before the film arrives.

It'll be back...it'll be back.

Nothing new here as this is pretty much the exact same price movement pattern that all common cross-media related books seems to have taken. It'll never go back to its pre-hype basement levels, but also most probably won't go back to its previous GPA highs.

The book is far too common, even in high grade condition. Heck, even I found a cherry-picked copy from the LCS in my personal collection the other year, which I must have brought at full cover price. Looks like I got ripped off and didn't get the standard 10% discount. :mad:

Hopefully, I won't lose money on it when it comes time to sell, but you never know with the kind of luck I seem to have when it comes to these things. :wishluck:

So far, Thanos has been underused, considering he's supposed to be the main villain behind the current cycle of films, with what, seen for just a few minutes in total over 4 years, which in itself isn't much to sustain interest. I have a 9.4 and he's my favourite Marvel villain, but I really don't like the CGI version of him at all, with its fake, plasticine-like skin.

Now losing some traction, as a sale of a 9.6 this month dropped to $2,800. The same thing happened with Captain Marvel #1: a sudden cross-media related surge which ebbs away long before the film arrives.
Sale prices of a lot of books tend to slump a little between Labor Day and the New Year.

I don't think a single sale in the last month indicates much.

The minute Marvel drops a trailer that shows him in all his grape glory, the price will jump again. Temporary lull, I wouldn't be rushing to get rid of any extra copies just yet.

(thumbs u

In a holding pattern for a while now.

Everyone dump your well-centred 9.8s before prices crater :ohnoez:

Nothing new here as this is pretty much the exact same price movement pattern that all common cross-media related books seems to have taken. It'll never go back to its pre-hype basement levels, but also most probably won't go back to its previous GPA highs.

I'd say IM55 is both the progenitor of overnight price explosion cross-media books, and the exception in terms of longevity. Its price has continually risen since the initial eruption in mid-2012, with the 2018 & 2019 Infinity War movies ensuring more growth to come.

BTW Sep CLink's $2.8k 9.6 is exactly the same price as the GPA sale in Feb. For reference, GPA 9.6 2011 Avg is $724 :insane:

One sale drops a hair below the average and the sky is falling?

For one, you have no idea whether the book had good QP (quality of production such as centering, coloring, miscut, etc) or other factors affected the sale.

I can tell you that if a White paged, well centered copy comes up for sale it will likely sell for more.

Also, the book is selling for roughly what I think it should sell for. There was one $3500 sale that propped the market up for that book and that possibly was either someone just hitting a BIN on eBay to make a point (not a real sale) or it was an extra nice copy that someone wanted bad. That doesn't mean every copy should sell for $3500 plus now.

What do you thin is should sell for? More every month? That sort of helicopter economics is not good for anyone except for people holding on to IM #55's, and it's certainly not good for the hobby in general.

Prices will rise over time for vintage comics, unless of course people muck with the market. Then it will just scare people away and cause a mass exodus.

GotG powers this book along as well. It will never be "cheap" again.

And I've gotten multiple recent PM's from boardies asking if I've thought about selling the 9.2 military base NDS insert copy that I own. (shrug)

-J.

Agreed.

Another thing about this book is it isn't just about Thanos anymore. Drax The Destroyer is gaining quite a bit of fans do to the Disney animated series.

Google Drax The Destroyer on Youtube and you will see Drax has a lot of followers.

So IM #55 is the first appearances of Thanos and Drax The Destroyer.