• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VR General Thread

7 posts in this topic

So just got the PlayStation VR headset yesterday, and am loving it so far.

I'm impressed by the number of games that are coming out for it already where this is hopefully a sign of it being permanent, and not another fad.

Of course this is just the newest VR headset coming to market, with the HTC Vive, and Facebook Oculus being the first to come out a few months prior.

You also have pseudo headsets made by Samsung that go with the Galaxy, and Note phones. Google is also coming out with their own headset that will work with their own new line of phones which will had to competition in that market.

I think the PSVR however is a great entry point, since the Oculus, and Vive not only cost more, they also require a computer that can handle them, making the entry point more difficult. The PSVR however is cheaper, and can work with your existing ps4.

I have all 3. I was very impressed with the PSVR as well. I don't think the visuals are lacking behind on the more expensive headsets either. The only clear downside is the tracking. Using the playstation camera and move controllers just doesn't stack up to the tracking on the VIVE and Oculus. So far I've had the most fun playing with the Playstation VR though. I really liked the Batman game. That being said, my expectations for the PSVR were low and the my expectations for the other 2 were very high. If I had to sell one (which I am thinking of doing), it would likely be the Rift.

The comfort of the headset is far and away the best on PSVR btw. Very light and it never feels like you need to take a break because of comfort. The Oculus I have to take off after about an hour. The VIVE feels the heaviest with the most pressure on your face.

I feel like the next generation of these things are going to be amazing. Taking the best of all 3 would make for a seriously amazing VR experience. The headset on the PSVR, combined with the tracking of the VIVE and the visual fidelity of the Rift would be the way to go.

I haven't seen a headset in Best Buy yet to test with. I'm interested, but no way am I plunking down hundreds of bucks for something that could suck without testing it. What inspired you to take the plunge on Sony's headset?

I haven't seen a headset in Best Buy yet to test with. I'm interested, but no way am I plunking down hundreds of bucks for something that could suck without testing it. What inspired you to take the plunge on Sony's headset?

I don't think it would be a bad idea to try it out first. Some people get motion sickness using them and it's bad enough to be a deal breaker.

Others just aren't that impressed. For some it blows their minds...

Personally, I've been a big fan of VR for a while and was an early adopter of the Rift Development Kit.

I'm put off by the name. Virtual reality simply isn't possible yet, but they apply it to these headsets calling to mind a concept they can't realistically approach. Yes, it's sorta VR, but no, it really isn't. I have no doubt it's the closest humanity has come and I am curious about the quality. The marketing incentive to misleadingly use that name with it pisses me off enough to be skeptical from the start.

I'm put off by the name. Virtual reality simply isn't possible yet, but they apply it to these headsets calling to mind a concept they can't realistically approach. Yes, it's sorta VR, but no, it really isn't. I have no doubt it's the closest humanity has come and I am curious about the quality. The marketing incentive to misleadingly use that name with it pisses me off enough to be skeptical from the start.

Yeah, at least it's light years ahead of where it was in the 1980s, when they first started using the term. It's all relative to your expectations. I think that's why some people are hugely disappointed in it because they expect to put a headset on and feel like they are transported to a different world. We are a long ways away from getting to the point where we can put a headset on that is so convincing we actually forget that it's just a simulation and I think that would be more scary than entertaining anyways.

I had been waiting for months honestly, and looked at all three. I was even following Oculus when they were still selling only the dev kits, and before they sold to Facebook. I even reserved the Oculus when it first became available, but canceled since I wasn't comfortable with the amount.

For this I was able to buy the basic kit since I already had the camera, and move controllers, which saved me $100 plus I had a lot left on a amazon gift card which made it really cheap. I also think that since it has 180+ confirmed games already with more on the way with console gaming being more friendly to the casual consumer than PC will give Sony the incentive to continue improving it.