• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reading X-Men #1-544?
1 1

55 posts in this topic

On 6/27/2017 at 4:22 PM, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Currently I am reading the remaining first 200 issues in an online format. I am about 50 issues in and looking forward to finishing the full series soon. Probably around early August.

Interested in your thoughts for the last 200 issues.

I think most of us here have read the first 300 and know all there in that run,but a lot of of us didn't read those last 200 issues so

How are they as a read compared to the earlier issues?

Do any of those issues stick out like the Uncanny X-Men run 94 to 143?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

Interested in your thoughts for the last 200 issues.

I think most of us here have read the first 300 and know all there in that run,but a lot of of us didn't read those last 200 issues so

How are they as a read compared to the earlier issues?

Do any of those issues stick out like the Uncanny X-Men run 94 to 143?

I know Gambit being a very popular character( and with out trying to give out spoilers )his focus as a major player sort of ends in issue 350. So technically that is within the last 200 issues. 

So as far as other major players coming along not so much. It is mostly a rehashing of the same team members in different locals and such. I believe the Onslaught was a huge crossover event just before that run as well but I really just found extraneous. 

Spoiler

I was surprised to find that the run held my attention through the 400's although there really was no depth to the stories. I mean Poptopia? The "romance" between Husk and Angel? The "X-ranch"? No comparison to the formation of the original team. No keys to be found in there. But there was finally a full storyline  devoted to Nightcrawler's origin. Interesting. Emma Frost becomes a major player on the team and sort of deals with Sebastian Shaw once and for all. Magneto does some crazy repentant things to prove himself once and for all. Juggernausus , Illyana returning and Cytorrak  are pretty important.

I enjoyed it all. Glad I finally read it all. It has been on my bucket list as a collector for a long time. The online copies were harder to read and took more time than the actual books though.

10 hours ago, bababooey said:

Did you read the crossover stories?   There has to be at least 150 other books that continued to/from the Uncanny run.:popcorn:

Yes, aware of how many crossover issues there are involved with the original UXM series, but no intention of reading them anytime in the near future. 

If you ask me the whole crossover idea in general started out well enough but by the time of the Onslaught event it just seemed like an extraneous gimmick to sell more of the over-published issues in an over saturated market. (shrug)

One last thank you to anybody out there still  listening. I could not have completed this read with out the assistance of the people that contributed here on the CGC boards. 

So thank you all!:bigsmile:

2 hours ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

One last thank you to anybody out there still  listening. I could not have completed this read with out the assistance of the people that contributed here on the CGC boards. 

So thank you all!:bigsmile:

:applause: I've been meaning to get around to reading 94-142. (I've never been a huge UXM guy)

Well done!

3 hours ago, piper said:

:applause: I've been meaning to get around to reading 94-142. (I've never been a huge UXM guy)

Well done!

It's interesting to hear what new readers think about this Claremont / Byrne / Cockrum run. In the UK at the time I could only get 96 to 101, and then 108 up, and there was a sudden jump in quality once Byrne joined, and for me it just continued getting better and better, and more involving.  

What's often been said, when it's first read decades on, is that Claremont's writing can feel quite cold, even with Byrne as a co-creator, and also very verbose and expositional. That's not uncommon for the Bronze Age, though, and there were worse than him, such as Don McGregor.

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 hours ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Yes, aware of how many crossover issues there are involved with the original UXM series, but no intention of reading them anytime in the near future. 

If you ask me the whole crossover idea in general started out well enough but by the time of the Onslaught event it just seemed like an extraneous gimmick to sell more of the over-published issues in an over saturated market. (shrug)

In my signature there are links to web pages I put together years ago regarding Silver and Bronze Age crossovers, if you haven't seen them already.

On 7/12/2017 at 6:37 PM, OldGuy said:

In my signature there are links to web pages I put together years ago regarding Silver and Bronze Age crossovers, if you haven't seen them already.

Some fascinating links there. Thank you.

On 7/12/2017 at 2:37 PM, OldGuy said:

Never mind.  I figured it out.

Edited by Gatchaman

On October 19, 2016 at 5:33 PM, drotto said:

The entire series is available in omnibuses and large collects. There are also places online to get the collection of all 544 issues.

If you are looking to read this is the RIGHT answer;
if you prefer a book in your hand try your local Library...

2 hours ago, MagnusX said:

If you are looking to read this is the RIGHT answer;
if you prefer a book in your hand try your local Library...

Actually I mainly used a combination of MyComicShop and MidTown comics to finish purchasing the run. Although alot of the issues had been sitting in my long box for the last 20 years; which I got at my LCS. Plus rolling back the clock a few years I used eBay as well.  I suppose if I want to  complete the rest of my run I would use Metropolis for the silver age reader books but that will never happen.(Even if I win the lotto, which I do not play anyway.)

One thing that stood out during this reading was how the issues sort of alternated through the 90's. For example the Jim Lee X-men series ran like the bi-monthly portion of the Uncanny series for something like 75 or 100 issues I believe. I think that was the hardest thing to follow. If wanted the rest of the story from one you needed to buy the other. Not to mention the many Marvel wide crossover events and other mini-series.  Not even counting the Vol.2, Vol.3 and Vols. 4 out there right now. This is why I would not try to say I know everything about the X-men just from reading the '63 series. Tons and tons more reading that I will likely never even scratch the surface of. Just a bucket list thing that I wanted to do as a comic collector. I just wondered what it would be like to read near 50 years worth of a monthly title.

It was cool.

Ed Piskor of Hip Hop Family Tree fame announced this project on his Facebook page yesterday. Definitely going to check it out, love his work on HHFT, and I know from his postings that he's always been a big X-Men fan.

image.jpeg