• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do you buy your art ?

60 posts in this topic

If you submit your very best bid (and don't worry about the sniping at the end), at least you can walk away comforted by the knowledge you gave it your best shot (if you lose out).

That's what I do. I don't try to penny-pinch. If I'm serious about a piece of art, I give it my best shot.

I am amazed this works for you. I have never been able to win an auction by bidding high early. You can argue it's not high enough. The problem is doing it early allows someone time to beat it regardless of my bid amount.

If you submit your very best bid (and don't worry about the sniping at the end), at least you can walk away comforted by the knowledge you gave it your best shot (if you lose out).

That's what I do. I don't try to penny-pinch. If I'm serious about a piece of art, I give it my best shot.

I am amazed this works for you. I have never been able to win an auction by bidding high early. You can argue it's not high enough. The problem is doing it early allows someone time to beat it regardless of my bid amount.

I agree with the "set it and forget it" approach at times, especially pieces you're casual, not passionate about that's on the lower end.

A lot of times it's very penny wise, pound foolish to be to rigid in your approach. I know one collector who refuses to even participate in any eBay auctions if he's not able to bid on it at the last minute to try to snipe it, all while not wanting to use automated sniping services either. I'd say at minimum, place the opening bid price, so if there's nobody else interested, you get it. I know some bidders have this wishful thinking approach hoping nobody bids at the opening bid so they can then contact the seller to negotiate a lower price or hope they relist it for cheaper. That's not necessarily a bad idea, but if the opening bid price is roughly FMV, then just bid on it to secure a position.

I learned early on not to bid early. Too many nibblers, chillers, etc. for this not to cost you. If it is your best bid, why not just wait until the end to place it?

Sometimes bidding early, especially on places like ComicLink and Heritage, and nudging the bids up to a level where the "lookie loos" are disheartened to the point of eliminating them from contention is a good strategy.

Often times, especially with live auctions, victory in part is due to ego (not wanting to lose) and impulse (submitting the next incremental bid to continue being the highest bidder, figuring what's a few extra bucks).

So, some people win with hindsight regret, who just got caught up in the opportunity.

If the piece gets bid up and prices some folks out from even engaging, it could often benefit the upper echelon of bidders wanting the piece.

Also, in the case of "why not wait until the end" to bid? A lot of times auctions end at inconvenient times, and money isn't so much of an issue versus the value of time or necessity of the situation, so many just throw up their best offer and hope for the best and go on with their lives.

I'd say if you're looking at a piece that is a "stretch" economically whether that's $300, $3,000, or $30,000+ to your budget, then of course it's worth setting the alarm clock for and trying to get the piece for the lowest price possible.

. . . I think you can get the best deals for art via auction through eBay, but the sniping is frustrating.

I guess my frustration is misdirected at snipers. The root of the frustration is that I'm in the 2 percentile of purchasing power. Many here on the boards could absorb in a day what would take me 3 months to save. Nonetheless, in theory, I guess I can win any auction if I place a high bid, or snipe, at 2.5X, 3X, 6X, 10X, FMV, but I've yet to encounter a piece that would make me lose my rationale like that.

The root of the frustration is that I'm in the 2 percentile of purchasing power. Many here on the boards could absorb in a day what would take me 3 months to save.

I think there's a lot of you (and "us") out there who realize that the pursuit of original art is that of a luxury item and non-essential purchase in truth. It's not related to food, health, shelter nor anything that contributes to our day to day livelihood to survive.

I've seen too many passionate collectors go into debt with loans, credit cards, time payments, etc., all in pursuit of something they truly can't afford and shouldn't be buying.

I think your frustration is real, and the fact that it's frustrating, says you're probably pretty rational and a smart shopper.

Never bid or buy anything you can't truly afford, at the end of the day, art is not a necessity, and you can appreciate it for free by right clicking your mouse to save the image and look at it all you want.

So, in the case of your situation, getting in at the last minute may be the smartest use of your time in cases where you're feeling like you can contend for a piece yet want to optimize your buying power by paying the least amount possible knowing if it's not meant to be and you get outbid, you can walk away knowing you gave it a 100% legitimate attempt with your best efforts.

The root of the frustration is that I'm in the 2 percentile of purchasing power. Many here on the boards could absorb in a day what would take me 3 months to save.

I think your frustration is real, and the fact that it's frustrating, says you're probably pretty rational and a smart shopper.

---

So, in the case of your situation, getting in at the last minute may be the smartest use of your time in cases where you're feeling like you can contend for a piece yet want to optimize your buying power by paying the least amount possible knowing if it's not meant to be and you get outbid, you can walk away knowing you gave it a 100% legitimate attempt with your best efforts.

Yes, I agree on all counts. Collecting OA is my hobby, my stress relief, my distraction from the day-to-day. Ultimately, I know that my life isn't going to change because I acquired X piece; I might get a little satisfaction, but not happiness with a capital H. That said, I know what I can and can't afford--scratch that--what I can't compete with--so I don't get into bidding wars for so-so pieces. That's why I was checking in to see how disciplined I've been this year because I would rather overpay for a piece that gives me satisfaction than pay FMV for a "throwaway" piece (I believe you've written a lot about keeping one's impulse in check).

Trying to keep the topic on track, I think I've made one purchase on eBay (a prelim that I later sold for cash-and-trade) this year. Too many deep pockets out there to compete with through the auction houses. Plus, auctions tend to activate the more emotional side of the brain and shut down rationality. The upside to buying from a dealer or rep is that at least you know the price, even if it's a few ticks above FMV. With auctions, you don't know if it's going to end at $400, $800, $1200...

Here's the places or situations I've bought from:

DEALERS / REPS (Typically ONLINE as well as in-person at Conventions)

DIRECT FROM ARTIST (ONLINE as well as in-person at Conventions)

AUCTIONS (ONLINE such as ComicLink, Heritage, Comic Connect, and eBay)

FROM PEER COLLECTORS (such as CGC MSG BOARDS and COMIC ART FANS)

RETAIL COMIC SHOPS (Hard to find stores that has OA 'tho)

CONVENTIONS (as mentioned from dealers, reps and artists, but also once in a while one-off sellers who has a piece or two randomly available)

I've never purchased from Craig's List or any classified, nor gone to any estate sales, swap meets, etc.

I feel, as a collector you can do well ONLINE and there's no real need for conventions or even leave your house :) unless you like commissions or collect artist specific for those who may only sell direct at shows.

Never said anything about bidding early (on eBay).

Most of the time (once I figured out my absolute top price) I place my maximum bid on the last day of the auction, within a few hours of finish time.

Most of the time (once I figured out my absolute top price) I place my maximum bid on the last day of the auction, within a few hours of finish time.

When I said early, that meant even 2 minutes early. Sometimes 15 seconds is too early with all the sniping.

When I said early, that meant even 2 minutes early. Sometimes 15 seconds is too early with all the sniping.

Right.

From my perspective, once I've placed my maximum bid, there's no more money in the pot (from me). As I say, if I lose out I can at least walk away safe in the knowledge I gave it my best shot.

If other bidders eclipse me, good luck to them. I figure they probably want

the art more than I do. (shrug)

I remember bidding on one of Steve Donnelly's auctions some years ago. It was in pursuit of a science-fiction paperback cover prelim painting. I was the high bidder, but the reserve price was not met.

Afterwards, Steve contacted me to offer the painting at a fixed asking price that was way above my maximum bid. I replied to the effect that, "My maximum bid was just that, so end of story."

Right.

From my perspective, once I've placed my maximum bid, there's no more money in the pot (from me). As I say, if I lose out I can at least walk away safe in the knowledge I gave it my best shot.

If other bidders eclipse me, good luck to them. I figure they probably want

the art more than I do. (shrug)

OK. But here's a scenario I experienced a bunch of times. I put in a bid much higher than the price level is 30 seconds before the auction. Then I see the price go up in increments as others try and beat the price I put in. If they have enough time or a high enough bid right away they can win, but if time is limited they are forced to put their highest bid without knowing if it will work or not. So waiting till the last seconds gets everyone to put maximum bid at the same time. Highest bidder can win. Not winning in this scenario allows me to move on with no regrets.

Downside is that technical errors/phone battery/network signal etc.. can occur with no time left

OK. But here's a scenario I experienced a bunch of times. I put in a bid much higher than the price level is 30 seconds before the auction. Then I see the price go up in increments as others try and beat the price I put in. If they have enough time or a high enough bid right away they can win, but if time is limited they are forced to put their highest bid without knowing if it will work or not. So waiting till the last seconds gets everyone to put maximum bid at the same time. Highest bidder can win. Not winning in this scenario allows me to move on with no regrets.

Downside is that technical errors/phone battery/network signal etc.. can occur with no time left

Your last point, yep.

I prefer not to let that happen.

Hi People, thanks for all the replies ! I originally intended to reply to all the responses, but had not anticipated this much feedback.

There certainly are a lot of things said here that make me (re-)think about where and how to get new art.

So All, thanks again.

And if for you are looking for people to do business with, I'd say Anthony Snyder is good, as is Tom at Fanfare. Or, of course, you can always do business with me. As I rep for several artists, you can always trust the art is legit and I don't jerk you around with price or anything like that. :)

I'd say skip Anthony. One of the only pieces I ever bought from him turned out to be inks only confirmed by the artist after I bought it and say another version of the cover floating around.

Then last year I "bought" a painting off his website for $4K. He never responded to the purchase so I emailed him and he replied it was a consignment piece and was waiting to hear back from the person. He never emailed again after that point and a week or two later the piece was removed from the website...only to appear a number of weeks later listed for 7K. I don't even bother looking at this site anymore. His inventory in recent years has been pretty weak the last few years along with a hand full of other dealers obviously due to the rise of the auction houses.

And if for you are looking for people to do business with, I'd say Anthony Snyder is good, as is Tom at Fanfare. Or, of course, you can always do business with me. As I rep for several artists, you can always trust the art is legit and I don't jerk you around with price or anything like that. :)

I'd say skip Anthony. One of the only pieces I ever bought from him turned out to be inks only confirmed by the artist after I bought it and say another version of the cover floating around.

Then last year I "bought" a painting off his website for $4K. He never responded to the purchase so I emailed him and he replied it was a consignment piece and was waiting to hear back from the person. He never emailed again after that point and a week or two later the piece was removed from the website...only to appear a number of weeks later listed for 7K. I don't even bother looking at this site anymore. His inventory in recent years has been pretty weak the last few years along with a hand full of other dealers obviously due to the rise of the auction houses.

Those sound like TERRIBLE experiences. I've all but skipped visiting his site due to lack of communication and absurd prices (see: Ribic's covers.) Though, the latter could be by artist request!