• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buyer from Canada wants me not to insure books via PayPal transaction bc fees

59 posts in this topic

A buyer from Canada wants a direct transaction off eBay for two of my books $5500 total... Asking not to insure them saying they are $80 in value etc.. Says he's not a boardie etc... But has dealt with Sleeping Giant Vintage books on many high dollar transactions... I told him I'll cover the fees on my end if he covers his... Hasn't got back yet... His feedback on eBay is %100 crazypitty

A buyer from Canada wants a direct transaction off eBay for two of my books $5500 total... Asking not to insure them saying they are $80 in value etc.. His name on his email is Pawel Augustyniak... Says he's not a boardie etc... But has dealt with Sleeping Giant Vintage books on many high dollar transactions... I told him I'll cover the fees on my end if he covers his... Hasn't got back yet... His feedback on eBay is %100 crazypitty

The books should be sent declaring full value to protect yourself and the buyer.

If the buyer doesn't want to insure the books he is opening both of you up to serious possible issues: theft, damage, lost items, etc.

If he can afford $5500, he should be able to afford the 5% customs import costs based on the declared value, in this case $275.00.

My advice: I wouldn't deal with the guy.

Additionally it is against Ebay policy to sell outside of their site so the buyer shouldn't be asking you to do this.

His quote:

"My books get shipped USPS priority only. When labelled "written material used book" and $80 value on package I pay "0" in fees. I ask every seller I deal with to do that and get hit with fees maybe 1 of 10 packages."

"Ok nevermind then it's gonna cost me almost $200can in fees. Thanks anyway"

His quote:

"My books get shipped USPS priority only. When labelled "written material used book" and $80 value on package I pay "0" in fees. I ask every seller I deal with to do that and get hit with fees maybe 1 of 10 packages."

Good riddance.

I'm Canadian. I hate those :censored: fees. But asking a seller to send $5500 worth of books uninsured is pure asshattery.

I've never had to file an insurance claim, but I'd never take a chance on this.

His quote:

Good riddance.

I'm Canadian. I hate those :censored: fees. But asking a seller to send $5500 worth of books uninsured is pure asshattery.

I've never had to file an insurance claim, but I'd never take a chance on this.

Agreed.

You never wanted to deal with this buyer.

Buyer may also be worried about damage done by customs agents.

There's a Canadian boardie who had an expensive comic sliced up when they cut open his package.

Despite that I wouldn't do this deal outside ebay and I wouldn't ship a book this expensive without insurance and proper declaration.

Buyer may also be worried about damage done by customs agents.

There's a Canadian boardie who had an expensive comic sliced up when they cut open his package.

Despite that I wouldn't do this deal outside ebay and I wouldn't ship a book this expensive without insurance and proper declaration.

Ok thanks for the advice you guys!

I am Canadian and realize that any transactions with someone from the USA will probably cost me fee's via Customs. This is the cost of doing business with Americans. Not to mention if he is willing to pay $5,500 why be so concerned about the $275 fee's if anything you the seller and him the buyer will be protected all around.

Pass on the Maroon I say.

Lotsa groupthink on this thread ;)

If you want the sale, get him to give you a US address on the paypal payment. Then shipping it from the US to canada is his problem.