• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buyer from Canada wants me not to insure books via PayPal transaction bc fees

59 posts in this topic

I am Canadian and realize that any transactions with someone from the USA will probably cost me fee's via Customs. This is the cost of doing business with Americans. Not to mention if he is willing to pay $5,500 why be so concerned about the $275 fee's if anything you the seller and him the buyer will be protected all around.

Pass on the Maroon I say.

Yup it's just part of 'the transaction" living up here.

BUT I did do a deal with a fellow boardie for a big SA key and we put a lower value on the book to help with customs.

He called collectinsure and they required a clear email chain (description of book, value etc) and that the box be sent with tracking and signature.

If anything would go wrong, he was fully covered.

Books arrived safe and sound.

His name on his email is *******************..

That name sounds familiar.

I've done a few deals with him. He's local.

I don't think that he's a scammer but I do think that

a) there is risk involved with shipping expensive books uninsured. If something happens, who picks up the pieces?

b) legally you're supposed to declare values for cross border shipments.

Your choice as to how you proceed.

Just my 2c

Great thread guys. Put the guy's name out there next to how much he's spending on books, and follow that with comments like "that's not someone you want to deal with" for no real reason other than thinking his request isn't prudent.

The OP could've gotten the same input without specifics. Better yet, on a transaction like this, just call the dude and sort it out.

Great thread guys. Put the guy's name out there next to how much he's spending on books, and follow that with comments like "that's not someone you want to deal with" for no real reason other than thinking his request isn't prudent.

The OP could've gotten the same input without specifics. Better yet, on a transaction like this, just call the dude and sort it out.

Shaddap you wanna be lawyer. :baiting:

BTW, I edited out his name from my post. You're right. :mad:

I edited mine also someone gave me the heads up... But I did ask for references... So I think it was relevant trying to find someone who could vouch for him...

I edited mine also someone gave me the heads up... But I did ask for references... So I think it was relevant trying to find someone who could vouch for him...

Because what you write on the internet is there for everyone to see, possibly soliciting people who might be in his area might be the way to go in the future and then throwing the name out via PM is much more secure.

Anyhow, we all live and learn. (thumbs u

No one actually wants to be a lawyer. I'm a wanna-be Yoga pants manufacturer.

I want to hear about any successful insurance claims made with the mail services. The two times I tried, I was stuffed and reamed by the USPS. Do they actually pay on anything?