• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buyer from Canada wants me not to insure books via PayPal transaction bc fees

59 posts in this topic

It's funny how this gets relegated to being a "Canadian" problem. The last two people I've dealt with were "Americans" - one of them wanted me to declare a $25K piece as being worth $100, and the other wanted me to declare a similarly valuable item for even lower.

While I don't condone the practice, I feel there is an equally concerning pattern of "thefts" I read and hear about. Not sure if you can pin it on insiders, or just terrible luck, but the indication of high value does seem to be the common thread these "mysteriously disappearing" parcels share.

I will also say that there are third-party insurers who ask for a tracking number. They don't seem to care about how it's declared on the parcel - they just want proof you paid that much. Whether that can be established via PayPal invoice, eBay invoice, or an email referencing the transaction, the details on the parcel don't matter as much having proof of purchase and a tracking number that corresponds with the senders address.

I hate the thought of people's personal property being stolen more than any overlying concerns of cheating a system that lacks accountability and mechanisms to arrest internal mail theft.

Insurance is cold comfort in situations where people's personal property is of a sentimental or irreplaceable nature.

IMHO the backdrop to any discussion on the topic has more to do with the fact that until the corrupting elements of the system are fixed, people will continue to find ways to exploit and/or subvert it.

The pick-up point/local warehousing hub concept might be one way we might eliminate some of the delivery logistics in the future, but I think it's human nature for people to sweat over a parcel that screams Steal Me!, whether that indication happens by the value declaration, the insurance value, or the brand name recognition of the sender known to ship high value merch. 2c

Buyer may also be worried about damage done by customs agents.

There's a Canadian boardie who had an expensive comic sliced up when they cut open his package.

Most definitely the #1 reason why you would not want a high value to be placed on your packages.

Every single time you put a relatively high value on a parcel and say that it is comic books or magazine periodicals, Customs will almost assuredly open up the package and go though the contents as they simply do not believe the declaration. Not being collectors, they most definitely do not know how to manhandle raw comic books.

In the past with dealers which I have dealt with before, I simply state that I will take the responsibility for any damage or lost items in transit. The only condition I have is that the sender packs securely in terms of using a secured box with proper packing materials such as bubble wrap, newspaper, packing peanuts, etc. Have never had a problem with damage to any of my previous shipments as they usually arrived with all 3 types of packing material inside the box. (thumbs u

It's funny how this gets relegated to being a "Canadian" problem. The last two people I've dealt with were "Americans" - one of them wanted me to declare a $25K piece as being worth $100, and the other wanted me to declare a similarly valuable item for even lower.

While I don't condone the practice, I feel there is an equally concerning pattern of "thefts" I read and hear about. Not sure if you can pin it on insiders, or just terrible luck, but the indication of high value does seem to be the common thread these "mysteriously disappearing" parcels share.

I will also say that there are third-party insurers who ask for a tracking number. They don't seem to care about how it's declared on the parcel - they just want proof you paid that much. Whether that can be established via PayPal invoice, eBay invoice, or an email referencing the transaction, the details on the parcel don't matter as much having proof of purchase and a tracking number that corresponds with the senders address.

I hate the thought of people's personal property being stolen more than any overlying concerns of cheating a system that lacks accountability and mechanisms to arrest internal mail theft.

Insurance is cold comfort in situations where people's personal property is of a sentimental or irreplaceable nature.

IMHO the backdrop to any discussion on the topic has more to do with the fact that until the corrupting elements of the system are fixed, people will continue to find ways to exploit and/or subvert it.

The pick-up point/local warehousing hub concept might be one way we might eliminate some of the delivery logistics in the future, but I think it's human nature for people to sweat over a parcel that screams Steal Me!, whether that indication happens by the value declaration, the insurance value, or the brand name recognition of the sender known to ship high value merch. 2c

Yep. Great post.

There is a gaping hole in the shipping process that relates to theft and that gap needs to be closed, especially in the globalized world we live in.

Yep. Great post.

There is a gaping hole in the shipping process that relates to theft and that gap needs to be closed, especially in the globalized world we live in.

Agreed.

I have sent books to the USA that had full declaration of value, insurance and signature required in an attempt to protect both the buyer and myself.

I have had these books go missing or be "successfully" delivered with signature but not get delivered to the buyer.

What happens?

There is no insurance claim as the postal system considers the book successfully delivered so I had to refund the buyer and I am out the book.

Isn't signature the best way to go ? At least if no one is home it goes to closest post office for pick up with ID

Yes it is, however in my case there was a signature obtained, it just wasn't the buyer's it was someone elses: IE the thief signed something.

Isn't signature the best way to go ? At least if no one is home it goes to closest post office for pick up with ID

Yes it is, however in my case there was a signature obtained, it just wasn't the buyer's it was someone elses: IE the thief signed something.

Or when the fed ex driver signs for you and accidentally leaves it at someone else's doorstep.

Canada Post and perhaps USPS have a service called Card For Pick Up. When the delivery employee scans the barcode his scanner automatically prompts him to write a cardout card and he can't attempt to deliver the item to the door. I'm not sure if this is a service available to the general public but if so it's a good option if you want to avoid the delivery agent from making mistakes.

There's a Canadian boardie who had an expensive comic sliced up when they cut open his package.

Despite that I wouldn't do this deal outside ebay and I wouldn't ship a book this expensive without insurance and proper declaration.

Don't remind me. :tonofbricks:

Despite that I wouldn't do this deal outside ebay and I wouldn't ship a book this expensive without insurance and proper declaration.

Don't remind me. :tonofbricks:

sorry

Canada Post and perhaps USPS have a service called Card For Pick Up. When the delivery employee scans the barcode his scanner automatically prompts him to write a cardout card and he can't attempt to deliver the item to the door. I'm not sure if this is a service available to the general public but if so it's a good option if you want to avoid the delivery agent from making mistakes.

This can be annoying, but it really works

Not insure $5500 worth of books?

DrryBas.jpg

But seriously, why would you even consider this?

Seriously. Why be cheap when you are spending $5500? :facepalm:

Because you will never win any insurance claim, and if you claim that much $ amount, the package will be marked delivered and you will never see it. Wash, rinse, repeat.

DrryBas.jpg

Sold the buyer many books in my day. We made a deal on a book, after I took his price that he offered. He asked me to hold it for two weeks until he could put the money together and then he would come see me. The day he was to come see me, he texts me and says that he found it on the weekend for cheaper. "Sorry but business is business" he said. So then a few weeks later, he wants to buy some more books of mine and we can't make a deal over $25 (we were over a thousand on two books, and I was sticking to my guns after being slighted last time) Needless to say I had to block his texts, and will no longer do business with him.

This "new school" buyer thinks this is okay, as do many others. I don't think they get it. I would be embarrassed to ever show my face again at any show if I pulled that stunt yet they think it's okay to say "hey buddy what's up" as they shake your hand and pretend like everything is okay.

Jim

DrryBas.jpg

Sold the buyer many books in my day. We made a deal on a book, after I took his price that he offered. He asked me to hold it for two weeks until he could put the money together and then he would come see me. The day he was to come see me, he texts me and says that he found it on the weekend for cheaper. "Sorry but business is business" he said. So then a few weeks later, he wants to buy some more books of mine and we can't make a deal over $25 (we were over a thousand on two books, and I was sticking to my guns after being slighted last time) Needless to say I had to block his texts, and will no longer do business with him.

This "new school" buyer thinks this is okay, as do many others. I don't think they get it. I would be embarrassed to ever show my face again at any show if I pulled that stunt yet they think it's okay to say "hey buddy what's up" as they shake your hand and pretend like everything is okay.

Jim

Be a man & slap that beyotch :sumo:

A buyer from Canada wants a direct transaction off eBay for two of my books $5500 total... Asking not to insure them saying they are $80 in value etc.. Says he's not a boardie etc... But has dealt with Sleeping Giant Vintage books on many high dollar transactions... I told him I'll cover the fees on my end if he covers his... Hasn't got back yet... His feedback on eBay is %100 crazypitty

If you do this, you are opening yourself up to about a dozen ways to get beat out of the books and $5500.

A buyer from Canada wants a direct transaction off eBay for two of my books $5500 total... Asking not to insure them saying they are $80 in value etc.. Says he's not a boardie etc... But has dealt with Sleeping Giant Vintage books on many high dollar transactions... I told him I'll cover the fees on my end if he covers his... Hasn't got back yet... His feedback on eBay is %100 crazypitty

Tell him to send cash, wire transfer, email transfer or send money draft (and wait minimum of 30 days to clear without a chance of bank reversal) and then you will honor his request.