• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GODZILLA: KING OF MONSTERS (3/22/19)
2 2

292 posts in this topic

Whoops. I guess it was 2 years ago Darkowl asked for the best film. A bit late, but here’s my list:

Godzilla

Godzilla vs. Mothra (aka Godzilla vs The Thing)

The Terror of Mechagodzilla

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack

Godzilla: Tokyo SOS

I would suggest watching them in the original Japanese, especially the first film which was heavily re-edited. We own and enjoy them all (at least the 28 films up to the current series). These days most everything is available in beautiful Blu-ray or DVD copies with both original and dubbed versions

There are three different periods of production not counting the modern films:

Shōwa period (1954–1975)
Heisei period (1984–1995)
Millennium period (1999–2004)

Don’t forget there’s lots of other great kaiju eiga films besides Godzilla; War of the Gargantuas leaps to mind.

And it looks like Criterion now has distribution rights for many of them:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3469049/criterion-collection-obtained-showa-era-godzilla-films/

On 7/21/2018 at 6:32 PM, darkstar said:

Maybe they'll actually show the monsters fighting in this one. 

I thought the climactic battle between Godzilla and the two MUTO's was awesome and had plenty of blows being thrown. Over the course of the movie there were fewer monster battles than one expects from a Godzilla movie but the climax made it count. And I didn't become desensitized to battle after battle after battle which I appreciated. In its place we got a "countdown" in which the three beasts drew closer and closer to San Francisco which created a sense of impending doom. If I was stuck in SF and three Kaiju were zeroing in on the city I'd be freaking out trying to bail. And I got a sense of that in the film which was cool. But, when it came time for the battle they really let it fly. I loved the movie and was glad they didn't go with Kaiju overload . We had Pacific Rim for that (which I liked as well). 

On 12/15/2016 at 6:57 AM, Sauce Dog said:

give us a sequel to the Shin Godzilla!

Just saw Shin Godzilla on dvd. Should have stayed on Japanese language mode :flamed: with English subtitles, as the English voices were wooden like the weak live actors. Spcl fx on the 4 or 5 mutations of Gojira better than I expected once you got over laughing at the low budget first incarnation of turtle Gojira.

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

Oh YES! I'm not missing this one! Can't wait! Loved the trailer.

I'm right there with you Michael. Trailers #1 & 2 have gotten me so excited for this movie I can't wait. The Mothra design is very very cool IMO. Wondering if Rodan ends up being friend or foe. Saw 2 other Kaiju in that trailer but I know they have to be newly created ones as Legendary was only given rights from Toho to use Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah along with Godzilla. Yeah, I'm super jazzed for Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 but Godzilla KOTM has really captured my imagination.