• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GODZILLA: KING OF MONSTERS (3/22/19)
2 2

292 posts in this topic

On 5/4/2019 at 6:19 AM, 1950's war comics said:

As a kid here is where i saw "Godzilla vs the Smog Monster" back in 1971... the line was all the way around the block.. we sat in the balcony and i will never forget how much fun it was !

Gladmer Theatre

Location? Love old theaters.

6 minutes ago, FormerReader said:

I’m surprised for the hate of Godzilla 2014. I thought it was good and the best Godzilla movie I’ve seen.

I don't know if it is hate. More disappointment it didn't have more of the main character in the film. But it's not a horrible film.

1 hour ago, 1950's war comics said:

Lansing Mi

In LA there was the Sing Lee theater in Chinatown w/balcony. Played kung fu kinda stuff circa 1986 & 1987. Been around since 40s. Saw those cool Baby Cart Assassin films there

Trying to keep upbeat and not let the negative (spoiler free) reviews get me down. Sorry Godzilla is my second favorite fictional character of all time after Bugs Bunny. Im talking decades :shy:. I will see it Sunday and judge for myself .

When I used to post in my now defunct Journal 'The Sagii Tapes' I did a segment on my choices of the best Godzilla films ever made and why. For your enjoyment  A repost of the films, all there for various reasons,  and if the new film used any of these as a 'How to' i know I'm going to enjoy it.

Shin Godzilla is a new top 10 entry since then. It is a masterpiece! Slowly becoming my #1 Big G movie. 

20190531_214223.jpg

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I don't know if it is hate. More disappointment it didn't have more of the main character in the film. But it's not a horrible film.

And that is one of the things I liked about Godzilla. Same with Alien.

30 minutes ago, sagii said:

Trying to keep upbeat and not let the negative (spoiler free) reviews get me down. Sorry Godzilla is my second favorite fictional character of all time after Bugs Bunny. Im talking decades :shy:. I will see it Sunday and judge for myself .

When I used to post in my now defunct Journal 'The Sagii Tapes' I did a segment on my choices of the best Godzilla films ever made and why. For your enjoyment  A repost of the films, all there for various reasons,  and if the new film used any of these as a 'How to' i know I'm going to enjoy it.

Shin Godzilla is a new top 10 entry since then. It is a masterpiece! Slowly becoming my #1 Big G movie. 

20190531_214223.jpg

IMO, Shin Godzilla is the #2 Godzilla film after Gojira. It's Godzilla as it's meant to be, a monster movie made by Japan that is also a metaphor for the ills that plague the country, and perhaps the world.

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

IMO, Shin Godzilla is the #2 Godzilla film after Gojira. It's Godzilla as it's meant to be, a monster movie made by Japan that is also a metaphor for the ills that plague the country, and perhaps the world.

...Couldn't have said it better myself! (thumbsu

(i'm almost ashamed to admit how many times iv'e seen it in it's relatively short release life since :shy: )

3 hours ago, FormerReader said:

I’m surprised for the hate of Godzilla 2014. I thought it was good and the best Godzilla movie I’ve seen.

Happy for you that you enjoyed it, but Godzilla 2014 is not a good movie. Why the hell have Breaking Bad in the movie, survive that horrific nuclear accident in the beginning, only to kill him for no reason a half hour later? Aaron Taylor Johnson proved he's a horrible actor in a movie that was so uncompelling to me that I yawned in the last ten minutes when we finally see Godzilla full frontal. A few years ago, Christopher Nolan's Batflicks were all the rage so there was a lot of copycatting that style. They tried it with U.S.A. Godzilla and failed bad. In my opinion.

Saw this yesterday. Overall good movie. It gets little boring in the middle part of the movie but it has a strong ending (great battle). 

Kong Skull Island was better but it had that King Kong story that people find this strange island and explore it. Then they get in to trouble and they find King Kong etc. this was totally new story.
Much better than Shin Godzilla and Godzilla(2014). It kinda had that Japanese Godzilla story vibe. The human characters and the story was more clear than Japanese Godzilla films but maybe some of that is for bad translation.
What was definitely better was the special effects. I was really disappointed on CGI on Shin Godzilla. Only the final form of Godzilla looked good. You just cannot make a good CGI movie with lots of action without loads of money.

Edited by godzilla43

8 hours ago, godzilla43 said:

Saw this yesterday. Overall good movie. It gets little boring in the middle part of the movie but it has a strong ending (great battle). 

Kong Skull Island was better but it had that King Kong story that people find this strange island and explore it. Then they get in to trouble and they find King Kong etc. this was totally new story.
Much better than Shin Godzilla and Godzilla(2014). It kinda had that Japanese Godzilla story vibe. The human characters and the story was more clear than Japanese Godzilla films but maybe some of that is for bad translation.
What was definitely better was the special effects. I was really disappointed on CGI on Shin Godzilla. Only the final form of Godzilla looked good. You just cannot make a good CGI movie with lots of action without loads of money.

FYI the buget for Shin (the better movie all around) was only 15 million, but King of Monsters was 200 million. One major notable thing to consider is that KoTM covered ALL of the special effects in dark scenes (as well as an over reliance on recoloring everything in post). Shin's effects were in broad day light and thus much harder to pull off (and to me looked great still - especially since they went the traditional route and used miniatures in combination with the CGI). So worlds of difference but Shin was a very good action movie on a budget.

Edited by Sauce Dog

13 hours ago, sagii said:

20190531_214223.jpg

As bad as Godzilla vs Megalon is, it's in my Godzilla Top 5 mostly because of Jet Jaguar.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

20 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

As bad as Godzilla vs Megalon is, it's in my Godzilla Top 5 mostly because of Jet Jaguar.

..For sure! 

That, and the fact that it was the ultimate movie with Godzilla in the role of 'superhero', and it's probably the pinnacle of unintended uncorrupted glorious camp in the franchise :D

I can remember my mom taking my brother and me to see it in the theaters waaaaaay back in the 70's :cloud9:

I can still hear the crowd erupt with cheers when Godzilla (finally) arrived in the fray to help out Jet. And who could ever forget the flying kick

6 minutes ago, sagii said:

..For sure! 

That, and the fact that it was the ultimate movie with Godzilla in the role of 'superhero', and it's probably the pinnacle of unintended uncorrupted glorious camp in the franchise :D

I can remember my mom taking my brother and me to see it in the theaters waaaaaay back in the 70's :cloud9:

I can still hear the crowd erupt with cheers when Godzilla (finally) arrived in the fray to help out Jet. And who could ever forget the flying kick

Ah yesss, Godzilla's flying kick!

Mystery Science Theater 3000 did a great episode to this.  I still remember the Jet Jaguar parody song they did

Anyway, the movie got the monsters right.  The darkness didn't bother be (nor in the GoT Winterfell battle)

The humans on the other hand.... I thought Vera Farminga's character/plot was dumb

I agree that the middle section slows down.  I enjoyed the elements of the old school music woven in.  One of the opening scenes had an overview of a protestor march.   I caught one Easter Egg on a sign.  I'm sure there were others if you could freeze frame it.  End credits have a few tidbits in it to pay attention to.

Glad I saw it.  I'll have to go watch Shin Godzilla next

Long live Godzilla!!!!  JUST GET IT 100% F$#%@ing RIGHT NEXT TIME!!!!!!!!!