• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did Wolverine 10 (Sabretooth vs Wolverine) lose a lot of steam?

47 posts in this topic

It seemed like the big boost for Wolverine 10 came well after its release (several years later). It always seemed like an artificial pump to me (possibly Wizard-induced, but I can't remember). I collected the series from the first issue and up through the 40's or 50's numbering. I don't remember 10 being any different from issue 8 where the Hulk guest-starred: Books like this had a minor bump over common issue prices, but I can't recall anyone caring about its significance in the Wolvie/Saber history. I only mention it because, again, it just seemed like a very artificial hype that came out of nowhere a few years later and all of a sudden the book was commanding outrageous prices. I never understood it.

Whether it was Wizard-induced or not, the bump was real.

I remember because I bought my Wolverine # 10 literally two months before it broke out. I was missing only issues 7-10, and they were each $3.50 apiece back issues at my LCS.

The only reason I bought # 10 that day rather than # 7 was I thought it'd be better to have # 10 to current, rather than # 11-current plus # 1-7.

Fast forward a year, and Wolverine # 1 and # 10 were both $22 wall books, while 2-9 languished in the bins.

But, as others have said, the reason for the book being a key (Wolverine & Sabretooth's first _chronological_ meeting and the origin of their mutual hatred) has been retconned out, probably several times over.

But at the time, in terms of Wolverine mythology, it was the equivalent of Detective # 168 with the definitive Red Hood origin of the Joker.

Today Wolverine # 10 is analogous to Batman # 428 -- also a former key due to retcons. 428 ceased to be important when a) Batman got a new Robin (in Tim Drake) and b) Jason Todd ceased to be dead.

As someone else noted earlier, as soon as Origin revealed Creed had met Logan earlier, Wolverine 10 ceased to be an important key.

I hate that "retconning" happens and that it can affect the significance of a book ..... but Wolverine 10 is still an awesome book and a great cover IMO (one of my favorites).

It seemed like the big boost for Wolverine 10 came well after its release (several years later). It always seemed like an artificial pump to me (possibly Wizard-induced, but I can't remember). I collected the series from the first issue and up through the 40's or 50's numbering. I don't remember 10 being any different from issue 8 where the Hulk guest-starred: Books like this had a minor bump over common issue prices, but I can't recall anyone caring about its significance in the Wolvie/Saber history. I only mention it because, again, it just seemed like a very artificial hype that came out of nowhere a few years later and all of a sudden the book was commanding outrageous prices. I never understood it.

I remember because I bought my Wolverine # 10 literally two months before it broke out. I was missing only issues 7-10, and they were each $3.50 apiece back issues at my LCS.

The only reason I bought # 10 that day rather than # 7 was I thought it'd be better to have # 10 to current, rather than # 11-current plus # 1-7.

Fast forward a year, and Wolverine # 1 and # 10 were both $22 wall books, while 2-9 languished in the bins.

But, as others have said, the reason for the book being a key (Wolverine & Sabretooth's first _chronological_ meeting and the origin of their mutual hatred) has been retconned out, probably several times over.

But at the time, in terms of Wolverine mythology, it was the equivalent of Detective # 168 with the definitive Red Hood origin of the Joker.

Today Wolverine # 10 is analogous to Batman # 428 -- also a former key due to retcons. 428 ceased to be important when a) Batman got a new Robin (in Tim Drake) and b) Jason Todd ceased to be dead.

As someone else noted earlier, as soon as Origin revealed Creed had met Logan earlier, Wolverine 10 ceased to be an important key.

I hate that "retconning" happens and that it can affect the significance of a book ..... but Wolverine 10 is still an awesome book and a great cover IMO (one of my favorites).

lol You know that Wolverine 10 is itself a retcon, right?

The cover is okay, but I don't think it's one of Sienkiewicz's best. It's certainly nowhere near my favourite Bill S. cover.

lol You know that Wolverine 10 is itself a retcon, right?

The cover is okay, but I don't think it's one of Sienkiewicz's best. It's certainly nowhere near my favourite Bill S. cover.

Is it a retcon? I have not read it in a very very very long time - I just remember it from my childhood and have no recollection of it as a retcon .....

Also, I have a soft spot for the cover because it was one of my favourites as a kid .... so for me one of the best :)