• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony's UNCHARTED starring Tom Holland, Mark Wahlberg (2022)

46 posts in this topic

UNCHARTED Movie On The Fast Track At Sony Pictures; Shawn Levy Set To Direct

146295.jpg

Fans of the superb Uncharted video game series will be happy to hear that Sony Pictures has finally taken some more steps toward bringing Nathan Drake and co. to live-action life on the big screen. According to Deadline, Real Steel director Shawn Levy has now signed on to helm the action adventure flick which is apparently still working off a --script by Joe Carnahan, who was unable to take directing duties because of his commitment to Sony's Bad Boys for Life.

Mark Wahlberg has been rumored for the role of Drake on several different occasions, and was said to be the frontrunner up until fairly recently - but we still haven't had anything official on that, and there's no mention of it in this report.

‘Uncharted’ Director Shawn Levy Reveals Filming Start Date and Shuts Down Fan Casting

uncharted_drakes_fortune_video_game_box_art-520x600.jpg

During the recent IMAX screening of Shawn Levy‘s Real Steel, the prolific director and producer talked at length about his beloved 2011 fighting robot movie … and a possible sequel.

Levy will direct and produce the Naughty Dog action-adventure game adaptation that follows the roguish Nathan Drake in his quest for legendary treasure. While the film is still in early stages, Levy revealed the progress on all fronts, from the -script, to casting, to Sony’s planned start date for filming.

As for just how long Levy has been circling Uncharted, he said:

"I’ve been interested in this project for years. I’ve played and loved every iteration of the game. I think it’s largely a popularly accepted notion that it’s as cinematic a game as we’ve had, maybe ever, certainly of late. And it’s cinematic in that it’s not only wildly visual, but it’s really rooted in character and a very specific tone and a sense of fun, right? When is the last great, fun, action-dynamic, treasure-hunting movie? Right? It’s not Indiana Jones, it’s not National Treasure; it’s very specific, it’s all kind of anchored in Nathan’s tone."

"So I’ve been interested in it, and I’ve just been quietly letting people know I’ve been interested in it, but other people have been involved, I’ve been busy, and a moment finally appeared recently where I was like, “Me! Okay, me!” Sony and the producers involved were like, “Yeah, that actually makes perfect sense.” I’m like, “Yeah! That’s what I’ve been saying for a little while.”

"I am unabashedly thrilled to be making that next year."

You read that right; Levy will indeed be tackling Uncharted within the year:

"Yes, that’s my next project. Normally, as a director, you’re attached to something—I know of at least one director in this room—it’s like, the dance we always do is, “Oh, I’m attached to this,” and then you look at my IMDb page and it looks like I’m making 19 movies.

"Uncharted, I am not messing around. I am so committed to this thing and I’m in it on the -script level with Joe Carnahan, who knows what he’s doing; that’s been a really frickin’ fun collaboration."

Strangely, despite being a gamer I'm not that interested in watching film adaptations. (shrug)

A great series, though.

I've always assumed they ripped off "Firefly" lead actor Nathan Fillion's likeness and name for the Nathan Drake character. Not sure why they wouldn't immediately jump on him for the part.

NathanFillionNathanDrake.jpg

UNCHARTED Creator Positive About Direction Taken For Upcoming Film

Uncharted. Still one of the most amazing games I have ever played. Now, I’m not talking about gameplay, but more importantly, how damn cinematic the game is! Which makes an Uncharted film, a no-brainer. There was surprise when it came out that the first movie will actually not be based on one of the games. Instead of rehashing one of Nathan Drake’s amazing adventures from the Playstation uncatalogued, the film will actually be a prequel. Starring Tom Holland (Spider-Man: Homecoming) as a young Drake before he became the tomb raiding (see what I did there?) hero that we know and love.

Neil Druckmann, the creative lead over at Naughty Dog, game studio behind the Uncharted series, thinks that this is absolutely the right way to go. His reason? If you want a cinematic version of Drake going through those adventures, you can just go play the game yourself. Druckmann said this:

“We used to just be excited–oh my god, movies are looking at us! There could be an Uncharted movie on the screen, and then as more time passes on, we’re not excited by a direct adaptation of the story we told, because we feel we’ve already told that story very well cinematically, so I don’t know what else you could bring to it.”

I couldn’t agree more. If you played through the series, specifically from Uncharted 2 and beyond, you will see first hand that the games are extremely cinematic. Playing through them is what I have always described as an interactive film. The writing is phenomenal, the action is intense, and Nathan Drake is a lovable guy. Very Indiana Jones, in my opinion.

However, as Druckmann pointed out, any movie that is directly adapted from a game or book is going to be compared to it’s source material. The main character will never look or sound the same, and for Druckmann, he already knows that whatever voice he hears will not sound right to him, whether it be Drake or any of the other stars of the game.

“For me–and I know for Naughty Dog and for a lot of our fans–Nolan North is Nathan Drake. Ashley Johnson is Ellie. Troy Baker is Joel. It would be very disorienting to see someone else in that role.”

On 13/12/2016 at 12:00 PM, fantastic_four said:

I've always assumed they ripped off "Firefly" lead actor Nathan Fillion's likeness and name for the Nathan Drake character. Not sure why they wouldn't immediately jump on him for the part.

NathanFillionNathanDrake.jpg

Exactly, this movie should have been made years ago with Fillion in the role.

I wonder if this will be the proven ground there are no real issues between Tom Holland and Sony.

Director Dan Trachtenberg has exited Uncharted, the Sony Pictures film adaptation of the massive selling PlayStation game. Tom Holland remains attached to star, and sources said the studio is moving quickly to lock his replacement — meetings are underway now — and that a new filmmaker should be in place by end of summer. The film will begin production early next year.

A new development is that this film will become the first feature production of Sony PlayStation Productions, which was set up on the Sony lot last year. Headed by Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan, PlayStation Productions has come on to produce alongside Chuck Roven, Avi Arad, Alex Gartner, and Ari Arad.

Scripted by Art Marcum & Matt Holloway and Rafe Judkins, theUncharted film has a story line that captures the protagonist as a young man, as he grows into the treasure hunter Nathan Drake. The video game series was created by Naughty Dog and published by PlayStation and has sold over 41 million copies to date.

Trachtenberg just directed for Sony TV the pilot for The Boys.

15 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I wonder if this will be the proven ground there are no real issues between Tom Holland and Sony.

Why would Sony hold what Bob Iger does against Tom Holland for anything outside of the Spider-Man films?

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Why would Sony hold what Bob Iger does against Tom Holland for anything outside of the Spider-Man films?

Hardcore MCU fans are making a thing out of Tom Holland not following Sony on Instagram, yet following the MCU account. Yet he may have NEVER linked to the Sony account to begin with.

So now the story is he is looking to get out of this movie. Yet nothing publicly indicates this.

5 directors have left the film. Wow!

Sony’s live-action Uncharted film has just lost another director, making Dan Trachtenberg the fifth director to leave the video game adaptation. Tom Holland, who is slated to star as Nathan Drake, is still attached to the project.Deadline is reporting that Trachtenberg (10 Cloverfield Lane) has stepped down as director on the Uncharted movie, and Sony is quickly trying to find his replacement. The report says a new director should be finalized by the end of this summer, and the film will begin production early next year.

An Uncharted film was originally in the works from director David O. Russell with Mark Wahlberg attached to star as Nathan Drake. Russell left the project in 2011 and was replaced by director Neil Burger, who then dropped out in 2012. Director Seth Gordon was brought onto the project in 2014 with rumors that Chris Pratt would replace Wahlberg as Nathan Drake. Gordon left the project in 2015.

In 2016, director Shawn Levy was announced as the new director on Uncharted with Tom Holland announced as a young Nathan Drake. The Uncharted movie was now a prequel set before the game series. Levy stepped down in 2018, and Trachtenberg was announced as the new director in January 2019.

The Uncharted movie is still moving forward, and will now be the first film in Sony PlayStation Productions, a new film production studio lead by Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan.

44 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Not that surprising if they're going to take forever to start filming it.

Right? If you go back to the beginning of his short thread, the 'Sony fast-track' was back in 2016. :whatthe: