• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics and Credit Card Fraud

15 posts in this topic

Last week I traveled down to Houston for a Meeting downtown at a law office, once it was done I did what any sane person would do in Houston I made a stop at the closest Bedrock City Comics picked up some nice comics and filled up some holes in the collection. Went to pay and my card was declined, thought it was weird and tried again and still declined. I knew there was money in the account so I paid another way.

Got into my car and called my bank to find out what happened, after waiting on hold was told the card was flagged for a suspected fraudulent transaction. So spent 20 or so min going through past transactions to get the card working again. I would think with as much as my wife gets on me about buying comics a purchase at a Comic shop would raise any red flags. :)

Did you notify the card company that you were traveling outside of your usual purchase area?

Yep. This is key. Only took me one time to learn that lesson.

Did you buy any breath mints? Usually a dead giveaway that a fraud is occurring.
Bedrock City sells breath mints. Or so I heard.

And yet they claim to be comic stores. It just doesn't add up. hm

Did you buy any breath mints? Usually a dead giveaway that a fraud is occurring.
Bedrock City sells breath mints. Or so I heard.

And yet they claim to be comic stores. It just doesn't add up. hm

Do they also sell deodorant?

Mastercard declined my payment to comiclink. Called Mastercard and they put a note on my account to allow the payment. Told comiclink it was ok to rerun the payment and Mastercard declined it again. :censored:

I tried my discover card to buy my wife some slippers today, and it was declined twice. Got home and checked the account and all is good.

Use Amex everywhere you go in the US? That's always my solution.

But it's been about 3 or 4 years since my regular credit card got declined for travel. I called the bank when I wasn't able to use it to pay for parking once and they put a note on the account that I travel often & it shouldn't be declined for that reason, rather to notify me instead when it's used out of the usual purchase area.

Use Amex everywhere you go in the US? That's always my solution.

But it's been about 3 or 4 years since my regular credit card got declined for travel. I called the bank when I wasn't able to use it to pay for parking once and they put a note on the account that I travel often & it shouldn't be declined for that reason, rather to notify me instead when it's used out of the usual purchase area.

I have a business card and travel for a living (and they know this) and they still decline it from time to time.

I was in a store and it got declined. 15 minutes on the phone and they couldn't tell me why it was declined but they reauthorized it. I hang up, try the card, declined again. Another 15 minutes on the phone until they reset it (only this time I stayed on the phone until it worked - which it didn't for a few minutes).

Sometimes it's your card activity, sometimes it's the vendor's activity, sometimes it's just algorithmic magic that nobody can explain.

My MasterCard does an excellent job with this stuff. They seem to allow nearly all transactions to go through and then send me a text on a questionable one, freezing my card until I respond. Once I respond, the card immediately becomes usable again.

If I don't respond to the text, they send me an automated call that I then have to respond to.