• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Collecting Icons: An Open Question

69 posts in this topic

Here's some thoughts, feel free to add (I'm adding folks to the category I think they best reflect, but some belong in more than one).

Best Collections in the WORLD:

Dave Anderson (a controversial figure)

John Verzyl

Most Significant Fan Contributors to the Creation of Comic Fandom:

Don & Maggie Thompson

& Pat Lupoff

Jerry Bails

Roy Thomas

Ronn Foss

G.H. Love

Bob Overstreet

Most Significant Industry Contributors to the Creation of Comic Fandom:

Bill Gaines

Julius Schwartz

Gardner Fox

Stan Lee

Most Significant Figures in Making Comic Collecting a "Serious" Pursuit:

Gary Groth

Denis Kitchen

Russ Cochran

Most Significant Comic Book Dealers to the Growth of Comic Collecting:

Chuck Rozanski

Bruce Hamilton

Bud Plant

Bob Beerbohm

Swan

Alan Light

Most Significant Comic Book Dealers to the Growth of Comic Investing:

Steve Borock

Stephen Fishler

Jim Halperin

Susan Ciccone

Ernest Gerber

Many more names can be added.

Who in the dickens is this guy that keeps showing up in your lists? lol
I think he was part of the group that eventually launched Flying Colors (who created FCBD). Not sure if he has any relation to Clay Geerdes who I didn't nominate on my own list.

Not sure where he would fit into all this, but Jim Burke (The Mad Maple, T.M. Maple) would have to have a spot somewhere in the history of all of this. The guy did get 3,000 letters printed in various comics (which is 2,995 more than me).

Not sure where he would fit into all this, but Jim Burke (The Mad Maple, T.M. Maple) would have to have a spot somewhere in the history of all of this. The guy did get 3,000 letters printed in various comics (which is 2,995 more than me).
Really like this. I took great interest in who appeared in LOC's during the spinner rack era. The whole "letters" thing probably falls flat to anyone whose context or perspective is post-90's communication, but yeah, how cool was seeing a Bob Rozakis, Cat Yronwode, or Al Shroeder letter back in the day?

I wouldn't classify Alan Light as a comic dealer. More of an independent publisher....

Seems like Paul Levitz ought to be in there going from fanzine to DC's editor/publisher

Shel Dorf for SDCC

Best collection I've ever SEEN would still be Don Rosa's! In the early seventies he had just about everything! (That was only the bronze stuff he let go of a few years back).

I understand Bruce Swartz has an incredible collection he assembled from putting on the Shrine Auditorium show through the '80's & '90's. At least Tony Riola seemed to think so.

I've also heard Ric Durrell had an incredible collection.

Ron Silverstein, a psychologist in Long Beach, has incredible vintage Disney animation lining his walls,. He bought and sold through his Silver Stone Gallery listings. It's probably been 20 years since I saw it....

And Forrest Ackerman's pulp,book, art collection was vast! Anyone else ever take one of his Sat. tours, when he'd allow people to visit him up on the hill?

I'd be curious what Gene Simons has accumulated! Paul Gulacy and Bob Layton have both told me he knows his stuff, having even fanzines back to the '70's .

I would love to see Terry Stroud's Tarzan Burroughs collection!

It seems unlikely that we could ever have something along the lines of a Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous with guided tours of such collections. I'd be content say owning Hearst's Castle with one of everything published (pulps, comics, paperbacks) with sliding ladders in libraries, hidden passages behind book cases, etc. etc. (so the servants can't find you?)

Wonder how Steranko's pulp collection looks for that matter.