• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tampa Bay Comic Con - July 28-30, 2017!

40 posts in this topic

Just wanted to say it was a pretty productive show for me, even though I was there less than the full day today.  Found a good amount of stuff to buy, thanks especially to Earl Shaw and a few others.   Good assortment of both comics and toys in the room, overall, very good depth of offerings for the vintage fan.  Crowds were very manageable today....tomorrow will probably be insane...good luck to those of you going.

1 hour ago, JiveTurkeyMoFo said:

Any reports from dealers or other attendees on how the show went for them?

Very poor show for me.  I had to leave early for family emergency last night.  Tons of cosplayers having fun but few customers.  Earl Shaw left early so I bought his leftovers.  I can recoup some by selling that in my store.   Think I will stick to going picking at these big shows.

1 hour ago, AllStar-Comics said:

Very poor show for me.  I had to leave early for family emergency last night.  Tons of cosplayers having fun but few customers.  Earl Shaw left early so I bought his leftovers.  I can recoup some by selling that in my store.   Think I will stick to going picking at these big shows.

Best wishes that your family emergency resolved favorably for all involved.  

Sorry to hear about the show.  I received similar feedback from one of my toy dealer buddies about Friday...hopefully, his weekend ended up being better overall.

Edited by JiveTurkeyMoFo

We are driving back from the con now but we had our second best Tampa con sales wise

sold thousands of $1-5 comics, which is always good because once my locals go through them, I need a new audience to buy

we sold dozens of $50-500 silver and bronze and sold about 20 of our 4-5 figure books including an af15, multiple sc22 and couple other major silver and bronze slabbed keys, as well as some golden age  dc and timelys. 

Overall was a great con for us

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

We are driving back from the con now but we had our second best Tampa con sales wise

sold thousands of $1-5 comics, which is always good because once my locals go through them, I need a new audience to buy

we sold dozens of $50-500 silver and bronze and sold about 20 of our 4-5 figure books including an af15, multiple sc22 and couple other major silver and bronze slabbed keys, as well as some golden age  dc and timelys. 

Overall was a great con for us

Great news, hopefully not all the WWII covers were bought up.

24 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

One thing to consider was there was  a con down the state in Fort Lauderdale, maybe that had an effect?

And another large Con in the exact same building 2 months from now. 

:tonofbricks:

This definitely was a great show! There are three major shows that take place in Florida and having two of them occur on the exact same weekend definitely affected sales. Another item which affected sales was having a local store with a very large backstock close with the last month and had blown out there inventory locally. Many dealers were there reselling this inventory at rock bottom prices. With that said my sales overall were still great for a major convention! 

1 hour ago, Pike's Comics said:

This definitely was a great show! There are three major shows that take place in Florida and having two of them occur on the exact same weekend definitely affected sales. Another item which affected sales was having a local store with a very large backstock close with the last month and had blown out there inventory locally. Many dealers were there reselling this inventory at rock bottom prices. With that said my sales overall were still great for a major convention! 

I noticed that one place selling quality books at 50c. That affected our $1 sales a bit compared to years past but we brought 40 boxes of $2-5 that sold well so evened out for me

I was curious if florida could support 2 monster shows same day, and it sounds like it is a yes.  As a quick point of reference, I know this is the Tampa thread, but I was set up in the "other" show in ft lauderdale , 4 day show.  Attendance was flat out bananas there, saturday exceeded capacity and ticket holders that could not get in were told they could use the saturday tickets on sunday, so sunday again was otherworldly busy. I love setting up at the Tampa show and it bummed me out to have the calendar with both shows on same date.  Hopefully next round works out so that both shows arent same weekend.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 0:14 PM, G.A.tor said:

I noticed that one place selling quality books at 50c. That affected our $1 sales a bit compared to years past but we brought 40 boxes of $2-5 that sold well so evened out for me

I'm finding this more and more which stinks from a selling standpoint but love it from a buying stand point.  Nothing like grabbing a stack of books that sell quickly for $8 - $10 in my E-Bay store for $0.50 or $1.  Looks like guys like Gator grabbed all the money in the room which left the smaller guys coming up short.  Sounds like pretty much every Con I set up at last year:cry:

20 hours ago, pastandpresentcomics said:

Had my 2nd best Tampa Con ever, even with Gator sucking up all the money in the room. Sunday was as good a selling day as Saturday was for me.

Good job!  Just curious - would you label yourself as someone who is blowing out $1 inventory or did you do well selling key books? 

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Good job!  Just curious - would you label yourself as someone who is blowing out $1 inventory or did you do well selling key books? 

Had some dollar books. Suprisingly had a lot of keys on the wall(and sold a few) but few people asked to see them all weekend. Mostly digging thru the boxes.