• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

By The Numbers by PikesComics
1 1

43 posts in this topic

Good point that if you want to get $2 each when at least some of the books can be found in the room for $1 or fifty cents, it's best that they look spectacular and that you get a rep for great books in your $2 boxes.

Nice goal to donate 50 boxes. My goal is to just work through six longs per month of the moderns that I never get to. In a year I'll really be on top of everything and have cleared out most of those.

Invest in solid tires on hand truck, I learned that inflatable tires blow out when hauling boxes of mags, trades/hard covers. Keep expenses low, if doing lots of shows, own the cargo van.

There is more than 1 way to skin a cat. Key for me, turnover, and opportunity windows, as in move more books, and do more shows. I do more than 2 dozen shows a year, be it the big well advertised one that draws wall to wall people for 4 days, or the small show, with little foot traffic, in a less developed area, and to me every show holds value.

It is not enough to just set up, the profit lies in working the room, buying from depressed vendors or walk ins, in being approachable and making some bulk offers, or being open to someone trying to bundle your material, be it vendor or customer, and in following up with developing contacts with want lists.

Invest in solid tires on hand truck, I learned that inflatable tires blow out when hauling boxes of mags, trades/hard covers. Keep expenses low, if doing lots of shows, own the cargo van.

The HAND TRUCK! These things hate me. If you are going to be doing multiple show and are hauling more than just 10-12 boxes invest in a good convertible hand truck! Spend the money! I have busted 3 of the ones they sell at U-Hual/Lowes/Home Depot and they are all garbage. There is nothing worse than trying to load in 50 long boxes into a vehicle and having a dolly break.

This year I followed advice of an old friend Tom Raupp and bought a Magliner Gemini Jr This has been one of my best purchases ever. It is worth every dollar.

Side Note: If you are ever down at a Florida convention you definitely will run into GCSstomp. Great guy who definitely knows his market. He knows way more than he lets on and is a great resource to have if you are in need of something.

GCSStomp also brings up another good discussion:

TURN RATES vs PROFIT MARGIN

Lets assume we are just getting started in our comic vending career. Its January 1st and I have $100 dollars. I continually reinvest that $100 dollars in buying one book with a flat non-changing market value.

Here is the question. We can sell the book for A, $130 every other month or 6 times a year very easily. Or we can hold on to the book and B. sell it twice a year for $175.

Method A. means we have to purchase and sell 6 books which accounts for more work but it is a faster turn rate at a lower profit margin. In the end we would make $180.

Method B. will be less work but with a higher profit margin. In the end we would make $150.

So we could make more money by selling it for less if we are willing to work more. Of course this little breakdown doesn't take into account market fluctuations, popularity of the character and so on.

LOST IN A SEA OF AUCTION SITES

So I am looking to send some books off to Auction. The question is which auction house to send them to? I most likely will send them to multiple auction houses as some do not take raw books.

My Graded books for Auction:

Annihilation: Conquest 6 9.6 SS

ASM 410 9.6

ASM 129 4.5 Needs pressed

ASM 9 5 (1st Electro)

Marvel Premiere 47 9.2 SS

Alpha Flight 17 9.8

Brave and the Bold 200 9.6

Legends 3 9.6

Deadpool 1 9.4 (1997)

Deadpools secret secret 2 9.8 Gwenpool variant

Fantastic Four 46 7

Detective Comics 742 9.8

Detective Comics 431 7.5

Detective Comics 871 9.8

Jungle Comics 54 6 Color Touch

Rat Queens 1 9.8

Rat Queens 1 9.8

Monstress 1 9.8

New Titans 99 9.8

Nightwing 1 9.8

Tales of the Teen Titans 44 9.6

Rat Queens 1 9.8 Fiona Staples

Swamp Thing 37 9.6

Thanos Quest 1 9.8

Thanos Quest 1 9.8

Thanos Quest 1 9.8

Thief of Thieves 3 9.4

Preacher 13 9.8

Preacher 13 9.6

Strain 1 9.6

Suicide Squad 1 9.6 1987

Suicide Squad 23 9.6

Superman Man of Steel 17 9.6 2nd print

Superman Man of Steel 17 9.6 2nd print

Spawn 1 9.8

Swamp Thing 25 9.6

Tales of Suspense 74 8.5

Strange Tales 180 9

Amazing Spiderman 300 5.5 Needs a press

Then I have some raw books that are worth some $ but would not benefit from being graded or pressed:

3xBatman Adventures 12 Fan Boy Expo Error Variant,

New Mutants 98

Daredevil 158

Birds of Prey 8

Superman Man of Steel 18 4th Print

Marvel Super Heroes 13

2xCaptain America 117

Lastly I have a list of books if graded and pressed would be worth at least $125+ if graded:

Captain America 117

Captain America 117

Captain America 117 (Color Touch)

Hulk 180

Silver Surfer 44

X-Men 100

X-Men 101

Marvel Premiere 15

Fantastic Four 46

X-Men 135

X-Men 115

X-Men 107

X-Men 104

X-Men 103

X-Men 102

X-Men 99

X-Men 93

X-Men 90

X-Men 88

X-Men 87

X-Men 85

X-Men 85

X-Men 84

X-Men 78

X-Men 75

X-Men 62

X-Men 58

X-Men 57

X-Men 56

X-Men 53

X-Men 51

X-Men 42

X-Men 38

X-Men 32

Avengers 118

Avengers 112

Avengers 100

Avengers 96

Avengers 93

Avengers 88

Avengers 87

Avengers 85

Avengers 80

Detective Comics 411

Fantastic Four 86

Fantastic Four 75

Fantastic Four 75

Fantastic Four 62

Fantastic Four 47

Fantastic Four 44

Daredevil 114

Daredevil 92

Captain America 121

Amazing Spiderman 85

I also have a huge number of silver filler books that sell in that $50-99 range that I would consider auctioning. My next post will be my breakdown of what I know and hoping some of you peeps out there provide some opinion or insight from your past experiences.

Edited by Pike's Comics

Continuation of Lost in Auction:

My Goals: During the winter downtime move books that I most likely won't move at conventions.

Reasons for Auction vs Selling myself: TIME and costs. If I decide to sell this on ebay my fees will end up being almost the same as if I sold it on most auction sites and for some actually higher. The only two methods for selling which are better are in person sales, here on the boards or on facebook.

Grading Costs/Pressing: First question. Do I do this first or do it myself? I have dealer accounts and good friends who do this... But the auction houses offer full service assignments. Why not trust them to get stuff graded and decide what needs pressed?

-Issues with this Mycomicshop I do not believe will do these for you. However:

Non-Graded books: From what I understand the only major auction house that will take consignments and/or auction off raw books is Mycomicshop. They also will take books worth $50 or higher for consignment. I am fairly certain I will be split submitting with them getting the lower value ones or items that shouldn't be graded.

The most important question is: Which gets higher sale figures for these types of books?

Comiclink will also take raw - and they have the CGC slabbing service for appropriate books.....

looking over a lot of the posts ( I typically sell on ebay as I am small time, lol) --- it really is somewhat random as to what site will get you the most $$$$.

Generally - heritage has the highest fees - so you make the least. If you have BIG books - they will negotiate fees with you.

For the others - really has to be a combination of luck ( bidding wars) - and unique/hard to find books.

Pressing/slabbing - usually best to do yourself ( or submit through one of your friends accounts) - that way you have more control of the process. If you have lots of books you want to get slabbed --- time them out! it is very tempting to pay the "fast track" fees to get them back quick - but that is a money pit, especially if you have a LOT to slab. Better to submit 20 (or whatever) books at a time - once a month - then you start getting back books on a regular basis.

Pressing/slabbing - usually best to do yourself ( or submit through one of your friends accounts) - that way you have more control of the process. If you have lots of books you want to get slabbed --- time them out! it is very tempting to pay the "fast track" fees to get them back quick - but that is a money pit, especially if you have a LOT to slab. Better to submit 20 (or whatever) books at a time - once a month - then you start getting back books on a regular basis.

Thanks for the reply. I do live driving distance to the grading companies. I'm actually more worried about the money pit pressing books that won't benefit can be. I definitely won't be fast tracking any of these books.

I also agree in regards to pacing out books and what I listed is me pacing. I still have about 5 long boxes of silver age books I haven't even processed yet! It is part of a few very nice and mostly silver age collections I have gotten in over last few months.

Thanks for the reply. I do live driving distance to the grading companies. I'm actually more worried about the money pit pressing books that won't benefit can be. I definitely won't be fast tracking any of these books.

I also agree in regards to pacing out books and what I listed is me pacing. I still have about 5 long boxes of silver age books I haven't even processed yet! It is part of a few very nice and mostly silver age collections I have gotten in over last few months.

Driving distance is NICE - saves on shipping......

-- if you are close - might be worth asking to see if one of the CSS team will meet with you.... they might be able to go over a couple of the books and describe what they can improve.

with GPA - pretty easy to see what a grade bump is worth

alternately - post some pictures /scans in the grading/resto forum here - some of the pros ( joeypost is great) - can give you a good idea of what can be fixed from a press. After you see some results - you do get a good idea of what can be improved.

From there --- really just a compare thing - as a small timer - I do not mind the fees but I have to be careful with what I slab.

I usually make a list of possibles - then go to GPA to see what the minimum grade that makes sense to slab would be.

I usually ( now anyway ) do not press/slab books that will sell for less than $200 --- I am confident enough in my grading to sell those raw- and do not mind the ebay return if someone is unhappy. Over that - I like them slabbed so my buyers are confident, and also for the grade bump a press can give.

Example - some of your xmens -

100 9.2

101 8.5

102 9.6

103 9.6

--- I also consider what I paid for the book and if there is a quicker path to cash out even for less $$$. The above books - 102 and 103 I would not want to slab at all - as the minimum grade I would want is pretty high with little upside. If you press/slab a modern (1975 - so the listed xmen fall in that range) - you are paying around 30 a book non fast track. Related back to one of your posts --- how much do you want to put into the book and how long to wait - when you can sell quicker and make less $$$..

Those lower end books - will also probably be a higher margin raw anyway. 10$ into a collection book - sell for $80 raw or 150 slabbed.. Make 70 or 110 ( with $30 into press/slab) --- but margin is 85% vs 73% margin.

If you have plenty of stock - churning through the books raw might be a better use of your time.

So I was reading Gabe's journal and I was highly critical of his speculation buys. His last pick ups were for around $125. So I figured I would share a comparative.

I went to 2 different swap meets this weekend and made two different purchases that were around $125.

1st purchase (cost $125)

-2x Shazam 1 NM+

-- Uncanny Xmen 266

-Avengers 196

-8 random Deadpool issues from 1997 run

-Amazing Spiderman 252

This dealer also sold me a box of Marvel Comics mostly in order but more importantly they were all freshly bagged and boarded. I paid $40 just because the labor this saves me.

Luck have it I get home and the box had some okay stuff in it which I most likely won't put in my $2 boxes. It included Marvel comic presents, wolverine, Hulk (future imperfect prestige), silver surfer (lots of infinity gauntlet issues) and full runs of the dark horse star wars series!

Edited by Pike's Comics

Nice haul -

I would not try and make too many comparisons to Gabe - while I do not think he is a lost cause - he does not seem to grasp some of the long term strategies. So - fairly easy to "beat" him if you buy smart.

The Shazams -- if indeed NM+ - pay for the whole day ( assuming they are the bronze age series) - if you CGC - they have been pretty steady at 170ish. Even if yo do not CGC- might be worth 100+ each on the bay.

I do not know if you were thinking higher - but the infinity gauntlet surfer books should be at least $2 bins.

This was more to show the difference in focus than to beat anyone. He focuses on speculation picks. I focus on blue chips. Books that always sell and are in demand.

He also buys his books off of E-Bay and you hit up 2 flee markets. Definetely a lot better odds of finding cheap keys at a flee market.

Edited by 1Cool

This was more to show the difference in focus than to beat anyone. He focuses on speculation picks. I focus on blue chips. Books that always sell and are in demand.

:foryou: - sorry - my wording may have looked like I though you were one upping him

I like your journal MUCH better ------ easier to share ideas, lol.....

The Shazams - interested to hear your take -- do you think they are worth slabbing?

Why or why not?

:foryou: - sorry - my wording may have looked like I though you were one upping him

I like your journal MUCH better ------ easier to share ideas, lol.....

The Shazams - interested to hear your take -- do you think they are worth slabbing?

Why or why not?

So Shazam 1 is a 1973 book. So to get it graded and pressed $35/43 based on what tier I put it under.

Let's assume the book is in one of two categories 9.8/9.6 or 9.4/9.2.

9.4/9.2 sell for $100-125 graded. They sell for around $40 raw. Cost in book say $16. Cost to press is $15. Grade is $20 or $28. So additional profit from grading would be $1-$26 if I pressed. No press add $15.

9.8/9.6 sell for $175-$475 graded. They sell for $100 raw. Cost in book say $16. Cost to press is $15. Grade is $20 or $28. So additional profit from grading would be $16-$324.

I group those two graded together as they sometimes are hard to distibguish. Personally I'd grade any 9.6/9.8 candidate and ship raw anything less.

Every once in a while you catch something interesting happening in the market.

It looks like there was a buyout on New Teen Titans which happened this week. I was looking at the pricing of New Teen Titans 26 1st Terra on Monday. MCS and eBay had it at $2-3each.

Checked again yesterday and books are selling at $10 each on eBay and $7VFs on MCS!

A little more exploring found the prices of 1-10 and 16 had also gone up! It looks like we have s group prepping for Teen Titans or trying to create some interest.

Edited by Pike's Comics

Every once in a while you catch something interesting happening in the market.

It looks like there was a buyout on New Teen Titans which happened this week. I was looking at the pricing of New Teen Titans 26 1st Terra on Monday. MCS and eBay had it at $2-3each.

Checked again yesterday and books are selling at $10 each on eBay and $7VFs on MCS!

A little more exploring found the prices of 1-10 and 16 had also gone up! It looks like we have s group prepping for Teen Titans or trying to create some interest.

GOOD ....

well - cuz I have a bunch of these stashed somewhere, lol

Today is moving day. I was finally able to secure a small warehouse where I will have room to sort and prep the hundreds of boxes I currently have in storage.

My one concern... I am not the one managing the move. I am letting the GF handle it as I am busy with my actual work. Left her some instructions on set up so here's hoping everything goes smoothly!

1 1