• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What point deduction for one popped staple

47 posts in this topic

Hi all

Is there a definitive point deduction for grading a comic, which has just one popped staple?

For example bottom staple attached throughout pages and cover, top staple detached from cover but all pages attached.

My apologies if the answer is obvious and well known however I cannot seem to find it in my searches.

Cheers

Hi steveinthecity thank you for your reply.

The comics I am asking about would normally be in the 7 to 8 grade but as I say with just the one popped staple from the cover.

I understand that there is a max grade for a completely detached cover and I am trying to find some guidelines for an otherwise decent issue but with a popped staple.

I had a Green Lantern #76 CGC 6.5 with a popped upper staple once. I actually called CGC to make sure it wasn't a mistake and they confirmed it. That's the highest I've seen personally that I can think of.

Edit - it wasn't otherwise extremely high grade. I'd say it was a 1.0 drop. The higher the grade, the bigger the drop.

Unfortunately, a popped staple is a big deal. CGC usually puts it in a Qualified Green label but I have seen lower grades in a Blue Label with the staple mentioned on the label. In either case, it's not good for the valuation. I don't think there is any rule of thumb point deduction.

Thank you for your replies

It does appear rather curious with all the guidelines that CGC give on grading and associated defects that a definitive grade drop for a popped staple defect is not more clearly defined.

I had a Green Lantern #76 CGC 6.5 with a popped upper staple once. I actually called CGC to make sure it wasn't a mistake and they confirmed it. That's the highest I've seen personally that I can think of.

Edit - it wasn't otherwise extremely high grade. I'd say it was a 1.0 drop. The higher the grade, the bigger the drop.

This.

It does appear rather curious with all the guidelines that CGC give on grading and associated defects that a definitive grade drop for a popped staple defect is not more clearly defined.

What guidelines ? I've never seen nor heard of any published CGC guidelines on grading. Was this a tongue in cheek comment ?

What guidelines ? I've never seen nor heard of any published CGC guidelines on grading. Was this a tongue in cheek comment ?

Was a bit tongue in cheek wasn’t it :roflmao:

I have a marvel spotlight 5 with a top staple popped. It's a green label 9.4

Interesting hm

If the copy is otherwise high grade except for the popped staple, CGC will give it an apparent grade as though the defect was not there.

As a blue label I would guess that it could grade as high as a VG/F 5.0 but it all depends on what the rest of the book looks like.

Last month I got a 6.0 blue label for a fully detached cover and no mention of the defect on the label. Was a high grade otherwise 8.0 - 8.5

I'm not saying you are fabricating this but I simply don't believe it. This must have been a mistake on CGC's part. I'd be curious about the contents of the grader's notes.

Hi Bob, the graders notes only listed detached staples, nothing else.

Never seen a book with a completely detached cover get a grade as high as a 6.0. Makes me wonder if the graders entered the wrong grade.

Hi Bob, the graders notes only listed detached staples, nothing else.

Never seen a book with a completely detached cover get a grade as high as a 6.0. Makes me wonder if the graders entered the wrong grade.

Either the wrong grade or the wrong label (and they had meant it to be a 6.0 apparent grade.

What year / era was the book?

One staple, two staple or 3 staple book?

And I still do not understand why some books get a green label and some blue for the same defect.

It's just a judgement call bade by the graders, although you could insist on a blue label going in if you suspect it might get a green label.