• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Were there a price variant of Dell Giants?

28 posts in this topic

I got a question about the Dell Giants that were published in the early 1950s. You know these ones with 100 pages something that? I see that books had the price tag on covers showing "25c", right? Ok, my question is ... did Dell put out a price variant during the publishing at same time, to test out price increase in some areas?

I have one Dell Giant "Silly Symphonies" #4 with a price tag saying "30c" in my personal collection. I have always wondered if it has a good value because of that fact? hm

I brought this one many years ago in one of anquite furniture shows of all places.

No, not the Canadian edition. It is U.S.A. printed, as said on bottom of inside on cover.

A variant priced for a specific international market isn't necessarily printed in that destination market, it would still be printed in the US if that's where the standard copies of that book were printed.

:facepalm:

I got a question about the Dell Giants that were published in the early 1950s. You know these ones with 100 pages something that? I see that books had the price tag on covers showing "25c", right? Ok, my question is ... did Dell put out a price variant during the publishing at same time, to test out price increase in some areas?

I have one Dell Giant "Silly Symphonies" #4 with a price tag saying "30c" in my personal collection. I have always wondered if it has a good value because of that fact? hm

I brought this one many years ago in one of anquite furniture shows of all places.

There are 25, 30 and 35 cent versions of some Dell Giants :)

I have owned copies of Pogo Parade with all 3 price variants.

No, not the Canadian edition. It is U.S.A. printed, as said on bottom of inside on cover.

A variant priced for a specific international market isn't necessarily printed in that destination market, it would still be printed in the US if that's where the standard copies of that book were printed.

Mr. :facepalm:

I guess you don't know how I got this book, do you? This was brought from a U.S. anqiute furniture dealer who brought some Dell Giants from the USA with his wares. How did it end up with other books in there? :sumo:

They were found in a drawer furniture by this dealer before me.

Mr. :facepalm:

I guess you don't know how I got this book, do you? This was brought from a U.S. anqiute furniture dealer who brought some Dell Giants from the USA with his wares. How did it end up with other books in there? :sumo:

They were found in a drawer furniture by this dealer before me.

Regardless, he's correct. I have Canadian 35 cent Harvey price variants that were printed in the US

There are 25, 30 and 35 cent versions of some Dell Giants :)

I have owned copies of Pogo Parade with all 3 price variants.

Me too, Steve. (Did you get them from me?)

Hmm... I see. Then that makes my copy a Canadian variant for sure no question. Thanks for the comments. It is odd that Overstreet guide didn't list the 30c variants - just so to give an idea the value difference. It did for Marvel BA 30 and 35 cent variants, why not do for others?

Now I start to see that my suspectiions about my copy was correct after all. I have said I got it from an anquite furniture dealer whom was from U.S. Well, to my recalls he said he got some furniture from a northern state somewhere and that was where these giants come from. I believe the house owner had a relative from Canada who brought comics to the family's child or children. Maybe their grandma or aunt?

Funny thing is that among the Giants is the only 30c variant. All else were 25c. ???

I think I need to look for an article to read more about the Canadian variants by Dell and others. Anyone know where I can find it among the magazines?

Summary of thread:

OP: Any helpful, knowledgeable boardies who can advise me if this book is a price variant?

Helpful, knowledgeable boardie: It's a Canadian version thus the higher price.

OP: No, it's not.

Helpful, knowledgeable boardie: It is.

OP: No, I got it from US antique dealer, it can't be Canadian.

Helpful, knowledgeable boardie: It's Canadian.

OP: Maybe.

Summary of thread:

OP: Any helpful, knowledgeable boardies who can advise me if this book is a price variant?

Here's how I read it:

OP: It's not a Canadian variant.

Boardie: If it's a Canadian variant, it's worth $57 instead of $11.

OP: it's a Canadian variant.

Summary of thread:

Here's how I read it:

lol

Summary of thread:

Here's how I read it:

lol
lol

You're funny, I'l give you that. lol

On 10/31/2016 at 10:31 AM, FlyingDonut said:

The 30 cent cover is Canadian.

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but your assumption they are Canadian is not correct.

In 1957-58 Dell released a number of their comics with a 15c cover price instead of the usual 10c cover price. These were test market prices and were sold in Arizona, California and Nevada.

They did the same with Dell Giants with a 30c cover price instead of a 25c cover price.

4 hours ago, CanadianGothic said:

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but your assumption they are Canadian is not correct.

In 1957-58 Dell released a number of their comics with a 15c cover price instead of the usual 10c cover price. These were test market prices and were sold in Arizona, California and Nevada.

They did the same with Dell Giants with a 30c cover price instead of a 25c cover price.

This may explain the Mickey Mouse comics from that date range I have. Not sure how I picked up three copies of the same issue, but two of the three have a cover price of 15 cents and the other is ten cents. I'm not home so I cannot remember which issue it is. Back in the late 70's, early 80's I used to buy a lot of back issues from a place out of California (mail ordered), so they, I believe, came from that region.