• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alamo City Comic Con -- October 26-28, 2018
3 3

124 posts in this topic

I am thinking about driving down to this show. I need some Jim Lee autographs. I don't see CGC there. I know some facilitators will be there, but does anyone know if there will be a witness there for the Jim Lee signing? 

We went yesterday when it opened at 3pm.  The line basically almost wrapped around the Alamodome (football size arena) to get in.  However, once inside, it didn't feel too crowded (I'm guessing today will be packed).  I did overhear one dealer say around 6pm or so that he had already doubled his take from a recent Dallas show.  He had a lot of nice books :)

I was there about 5 hours and wish I could make it back today or tomorrow. I will post a couple pics, but there just more crowd type shots

21 hours ago, Cozmo-One said:

I did overhear one dealer say around 6pm or so that he had already doubled his take from a recent Dallas show.  He had a lot of nice books :)

He probably meant the one last weekend in Irving which was small. I heard it wasn't well attended, but that was just from people I knew who went.

I was there too at Alamo City Con. I think Fan Expo Dallas (the one in April) is bigger and more people, but I do like how this one was laid out. It didn't feel too crowded inside.

I hope FXD rents more space next year from the convention center. The past two years, it was extremely crowded and hard to move. In 2016, I think they had more space because it didn't feel as crowded as it has these past two years. 

Alamo City was organized well I thought. I got Zabka's autograph and had to wait about 30-45min only and some of that was just waiting for him to show up (he was super nice by the way). I did see Julie Benson's line (little mermaid) and it looked like about an hour or so wait. I wish I had waited until this con to get her autograph for my daughter. I waited 3 hours at FXD. :(  

IMG_5503.JPG

IMG_7349.JPG

IMG_1539.jpg

Edited by kevhtx

Yeah, I was worried about that. It so often falls on a competitive weekend (like same as C2E2 and WonderCon too). So, it always seems to have cards against it. But, these shows are so celeb focused now that they dont care as much. Alamo City Con had a terrible artist lineup. That was one of the issue I had with it. Dallas Fan Days too. Fan Expo Dallas at least usually has good creators there.

On 10/28/2018 at 11:16 AM, kevhtx said:

Alamo City was organized well I thought. I got Zabka's autograph and had to wait about 30-45min only and some of that was just waiting for him to show up (he was super nice by the way). I did see Julie Benson's line (little mermaid) and it looked like about an hour or so wait. I wish I had waited until this con to get her autograph for my daughter. I waited 3 hours at FXD. :(  

I was really hoping to get a J Benson pic/autograph with my daughter, who is named Ariel.  But I don't think she was there on Friday :( Maybe next time...

Edited by Cozmo-One

10 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Can't argue with any of that. Fan Expo/Days has really gotten away from a comics focus. While the May show does usually get in some A/A+ listers, my problem with them is that they don't bring in any other comic talent beyond creators local to Dallas. It is great to get Jim Lee or McFarlane, but what about guys like Bob Layton, Bob McLeod, Mike Zeck (to name a few off the top of my head)? One guy like Jim Lee on the guest list doesn't cut it for me as a good guest list. It needs to be more fleshed out with a variety of comic talent, and FD doesn't do that anymore.

Really? I thought FXD had a pretty good creator list the past 3 years. This year, they had Liefeld, Capullo, Snyder, Quesada, Kubert and many more. A couple of them cancelled (I wanted some McGuiness autographs, but he cancelled). Alamo City only had Lee and that was pretty much it.

I think FXD does a pretty good job on creators, but its clear that celebrities are now what all these cons think bring in the people. In the end, I wonder how much money is spent by those people. All of their money is going to autographs/photo ops or to make their cosplay costumes. ;)

3 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Really? I thought FXD had a pretty good creator list the past 3 years. This year, they had Liefeld, Capullo, Snyder, Quesada, Kubert and many more. A couple of them cancelled (I wanted some McGuiness autographs, but he cancelled). Alamo City only had Lee and that was pretty much it.

I think FXD does a pretty good job on creators, but its clear that celebrities are now what all these cons think bring in the people. In the end, I wonder how much money is spent by those people. All of their money is going to autographs/photo ops or to make their cosplay costumes. ;)

As always, mileage will vary on these things. If I did care about Liefeld I wouldn't now that his auto prices have gotten out of hand. Capullo and Snyder have been making the rounds, and I was at about three different shows that their tour stopped at last year (I got any autos I wanted at Planet Con in KC). Quesada and Kubert don't move the needle for me, but I know they do for others. So for me, the guest list wasn't exciting. Maybe I am just old. lol

You're definitely right about the problem of # of attendees relative to how much they spend with vendors. We're finding an inverse relationship between attendance and profitability, to be honest. The bigger the show, the higher the booth fees and other costs and the fewer the comic buyers. Meanwhile, smaller shows have been much more profitable. Fewer people, but they are all there to buy comics.

Edited by mysterio

9 minutes ago, mysterio said:

As always, mileage will vary on these things. If I did care about Liefeld I wouldn't now that his auto prices have gotten out of hand. Capullo and Snyder have been making the rounds, and I was at about three different shows that their tour stopped at last year (I got any autos I wanted at Planet Con in KC). Quesada and Kubert don't move the needle for me, but I know they do for others. So for me, the guest list wasn't exciting. Maybe I am just old. lol

You're definitely right about the problem of # of attendees relative to how much they spend with vendors. We're finding an inverse relationship between attendance and profitability, to be honest. The bigger the show, the higher the booth fees and other costs and the fewer the comic buyers. Meanwhile, smaller shows have been much more profitable. Fewer people, but they are all there to buy comics.

Yeah, the creator list was slightly repetitive (Capullo and Snyder were there the previous year...I think Kubert too?). One thing I like though is that they sprinkle some new ones in there and in the past year, Capullo and Snyder had created Batman Who Laughs, so I had a bunch more books to get signed. I do hope to see some others this next year, but its going to be tough with the competition for the weekend. Last year, Jim Lee split his weekend between Dallas and WonderCon which was nice at least.

The comic dealers I talked too all had great sales. I have done every ACCC and have increased sales every year. There were not a lot of comic dealers in the room but there were great books everywhere.  I did not hear any negative comments and the crowd was thick on Saturday.  I will be back. Key books, Run collectors (esp Spawn 150 -200), Guest related( I could have sold 20 + Little Mermaid comics if I had more) led sales. Good dollar books around etc...... My only wish is that they get more comic related guests next year and I hope the dismissive response from a rep I asked "Comic guests don't sell tickets" was only him talking out of his ***.

10 minutes ago, THB said:

I hope the dismissive response from a rep I asked "Comic guests don't sell tickets" was only him talking out of his ***.

Glad you had a good show Tony! I do miss our trips down for this one...

I think that rep's attitude matches that for quite a few of the larger shows, that mostly focus on celebrities as a way to drive ticket sales. Stan Lee was probably the only comic guest that would have impacted ticket sales. I don't think we get these megashows like Fan Expo or Alamo without at least some celebrities headlining the guest list.

2 hours ago, THB said:

The comic dealers I talked too all had great sales. I have done every ACCC and have increased sales every year. There were not a lot of comic dealers in the room but there were great books everywhere.  I did not hear any negative comments and the crowd was thick on Saturday.  I will be back. Key books, Run collectors (esp Spawn 150 -200), Guest related( I could have sold 20 + Little Mermaid comics if I had more) led sales. Good dollar books around etc...... My only wish is that they get more comic related guests next year and I hope the dismissive response from a rep I asked "Comic guests don't sell tickets" was only him talking out of his ***.

Were you the one I bought ASM 299 from? I should have picked up the little mermaid when I had the chance...