• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alamo City Comic Con -- October 26-28, 2018
3 3

124 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Kwan Chang said:

Well let me say.  Yes, Friday was good.  Not too crowded here at alamo.....But the people that were here spent some coin. ?

That's good. Glad to hear you had a good Friday!

The trend continues as this was my best ACCC. Thanks to Zero City Comics in San Antonio for partnering up for a bigger space. It was my best show selling guest/celebrity related comics. Sam Keith, Frank Miller, Judge Dredd (Karl Urban), Rob Leifeld, Andy Kubert (esp Flashpoint comics) anything Goonies  flew off the shelves. I actually submitted my Aussie NM 98 and Rob had never seen one before. Sam Keith has to be the kindest comic con guest I have ever interacted with.  Flash collectors are outpacing some of the other big comic titles here in SA but Batman, Spider-man , Harley, Walking Dead and Deadpool still rule the back issue boxes with X-23 becoming a quick contender.  As much as I hate using table space for $1 books this city loves them and I moved quite a bit of slow moving back stock (7 or so long boxes)  and will turn that into a key I have been eyeing for a few months. Key books/slabs sold include Action Comics 242, Batman 121, 155, 181, 227, 251, Dark Knight Returns 1 (every print I had sold), Wolverine 1 x 3, Caliber Presents 1, Flash 105 (coverless), 113, 128, 140 x 2, 250, 323. Spider-man 121, 300 , Superboy 68, X-men 1, 101, NM 98 and the Italian edition. Rick and Morty 1 and Ryan variant , Miraculous Ladybug 1 x 3, Runaways 1 x 3 , Adam Hughes covers, Early X-force Deadpool covers, Lady Death were the modern notables. Had a great time chatting with and buying from Space Cadets, Koops Comics, Bedrock City, M & M, Silver Age madness, Authority Comics, Dragon's Lair, Cards- Comics- Records and Collectibles, Ricks Comic Crypt and a few others that I forget right now in the fog of post con. 

Rey Mysterio signing my Luche Underground SXSW comic.

rey.thumb.JPG.33714dd29abe5486b3135488e10dd10b.JPG

A few more pics soon....

accc1.thumb.JPG.eae77459e9a761ce338dbe8102845cd7.JPG

ACCC opens and the view from the front of my booth and my setup below ( I need to get one of those walls everyone else has...any leads on buying one  or tips on building one?)accc1a.thumb.JPG.ca7f067f952c1bf14784b1863539a06d.JPG

A little later in the show

accc2.thumb.JPG.011bb920973a3c4202cfc2202f64f158.JPG

a couple of cosplayers......

accc3.thumb.JPG.b5b028b1297910a3dedcba5d371c8912.JPG

accc4.thumb.JPG.7fbdd2c517b231cecdcb5de8110e780f.JPG

Thats really all the time I had to pause and take pics.....I hope everyone enjoys their holiday!!!

Edited by THB

Any word on whether they are sticking in the spring or going back to fall in 2018? I did not hear good vendor reports from this show in general (though I am glad you had a good show Tony!).

Have not heard about another show in October....... but I would be a willing participant.  I think having a nice wide open spot and great traffic flow helped.

20 hours ago, THB said:

Have not heard about another show in October....... but I would be a willing participant.  I think having a nice wide open spot and great traffic flow helped.

They're teasing it on FB now. It may be a horror themed show, but nobody has confirmed or denied that. If it's Halloween weekend, with the dates they originally teased for the Black Friday sale, it'd fall the weekend after the October Fan Expo.

Edited by mysterio

No dates announced yet, but guessing it will be October 27-29 (which they announced as tentative dates when they had the Black Friday sale). If so, this would conflict with the Rockula horror show IN THE SAME CITY! It would also conflict with Wizard Oklahoma City. All this the weekend after Fan Expo in Irving. Seemingly every weekend in Sept-Oct is booked by a show in Texas. This seems like a recipe for disaster.

Edited by mysterio

I don't mind a few shows in the fall. All the big shows got front loaded in the spring and I wasn't able to attend Houston or San Antonio.

I have never been to Dallas Fan Days so not sure how much comics will be sold there.

24 minutes ago, RattyLa said:

I don't mind a few shows in the fall. All the big shows got front loaded in the spring and I wasn't able to attend Houston or San Antonio.

I have never been to Dallas Fan Days so not sure how much comics will be sold there.

This is a list of Sept-Oct Texas shows (from a post at the Rate that Comic Con FB group):

Sep 1-3rd San Japan (San Antonio)
Sep 9-10 Staple (Austin)
Sep 15-17 Hub City Con (Lubbock)
Sep 16-17 Dallas Comic Show
Sept 23-24 Monster-Con (San Antonio)
Sep 30-oct1st South Texas Collectors Expo (Laredo)
Sept 29-October 1st Cult Classic Con (Bastrop)

October 6-8th Realmscon (Corpus)
October 7-8 Retropalooza (Arlington)
October 21 Eckman's Toy Show (San Antonio)
October 20-22 Fan Days (Dallas)
October 27-29 Rockula (San Antonio)
Oct 27-29 Oni-Con (Galveston)

Dallas Fan Days will have comics in the room, it'd be worth a look on a Saturday or Sunday pass.

1/2 those shows are too far for me to drive for a small con and I don't know how many comics will be at Monster-con, 1st cult classic, eckman's toy show, Rockula

Most of the small shows in Texas have the same dealers show up, so its nice to see out of state stock, granted the new SA show may be the same as well.

12 minutes ago, RattyLa said:

1/2 those shows are too far for me to drive for a small con and I don't know how many comics will be at Monster-con, 1st cult classic, eckman's toy show, Rockula

Most of the small shows in Texas have the same dealers show up, so its nice to see out of state stock, granted the new SA show may be the same as well.

Agreed, most of these shows will be light on comics. But 3-4 of them will be at least somewhat comic focused, which is a lot to have in a 4-6 week span at this time of year. If this Halloween show is going to be comic focused then it comes into a fairly saturated market.

If this Halloween show is mostly horror themed (and they've said on FB that this show is replacing their Terror Expo) then it will compete against other such shows, one of which is in the same market.

If they take that October 27-29 time slot, which I think is likely based on the Halloween theme and dates they previously announced as tentative for their main show, it may be tough for them to find an audience. The San Antonio crowd may be divided, or at the least have wallet fatigue from the other shows, and they'll be less likely to draw from surrounding cities. I'm scratching my head.

49 minutes ago, THB said:

I am setting up at Eckman's and this show too.  RattyLa what kind of books are you looking for?

Have you got a confirmed date on the ACCC show?