• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand Versions
1 1

157 posts in this topic

While I personally "like to collect" the newstands it's just personal preference....it's not on the CGC label lol I want it in writing haha that newstands are rarer in high grade

Newsstands are not always rarer in high grade. As a general rule, the closer to 1980 the book is, the less likely that high grade newsstands are anything special.

Or, to put it the other way... the further from 1980 the book is... the more it might be helpful to locate a high grade newsstand.

Key word being "might". Like almost all books... the "rarer" version of an unimportant book is usually also unimportant.

... and that's why books like Amazing Spider-man #667 selling for thousands of dollars makes little sense to many collectors. It's the "rarest" version of nothing special. Wow, let's fork over some bags of cash. lol

I think you know that rarity does not mean anything in terms of value.

Rarity does mean something as the 2nd factor after importance.

If a book is important 1st, then the rarity of the book does mean something in terms of value. (Star Wars #1 30cent vs. Star Wars #1 35cent)

I am confused by the sale prices of books which only have the 2nd factor, and are otherwise unimportant.

Only one things matters, supply vs. demand.

Sure, but supply = rarity

Why is there any demand at all? Isn't it because of importance?

So, supply vs. demand is the same as rarity vs. importance. "The book is important (first appearance, key event) and the price is $X because there are so many/few available."

That makes sense.

"The book isn't important, so the price is low because the demand is very low."

That makes sense.

What confuses me is when demand is based only on rarity and NOT based on importance.

"There aren't many copies so it's in demand because there aren't many copies."

That's a snake eating its own tail.

supplydemand.png

Right, but you're getting into unknown territory by asking questions that may vary from person to person. As we know, a supply of over 200k is still not meeting the demand for value decrease with Deadpool. 200k of any book you should be able to find it for $5 or less, in my book.

Some may consider a book important solely because of a cover. The MJ Venom cover has a lot going for it honestly. Why is it important, First Gweonm? Hard to find? People like the art? Too many factors to say for certain. Only factor that matters is supply < demand.

Rarity vs. importance varies by personal perception. Take for instance the new "ultra rare" store variant of 1,000 copies. How is that rare when Black Mask is producing only 25 of some books? 1. It's not rare. 2. It's rare for a Marvel book. 3. It's rare as in hard to find because people don't sell them.

I do agree with you. That "unknown territory" should be easier to understand though, as you move from a $10 book to a $100 book to a $1000 book. Prices are usually explainable by the average collector the higher they go. The specific reasoning for each sale will vary, and the specific views of the buyers will vary, but the general/average is usually easy to understand.

New Mutants #98 has the first Deadpool, and even though it is not hard to find, it will cost a lot more than the first appearances of other characters from the same time period because Deadpool is very popular right now. Whether someone likes Rob Liefeld could be a factor in their individual purchase, but it doesn't matter to the "explainability" of New Mutants #98 average prices in general.

Action Comics #1 is the most expensive comic due to the 1st appearance of Superman, the fact that it is even earlier than the 1st Batman (even if someone prefers Batman), and the fact that there might only be 100 of them in the world. Whether someone has a variety of other reasons to buy the book doesn't really matter, because the general explanation is still valid.

The general explanation for why books cost $3,000+ has always been either the importance of the book or the scarcity due to the age (Golden Age).

Now, we have books that are 5 years old that are $3,000+ which aren't important books and they're not from the Golden Age. They're new books, manufactured to be scarce, and the high cost is based upon the fact that they're scarce.

That situation is like the Kardashians of comics. Popular? Sure. In demand? Sure.

But there's no substance, and nothing was earned. Books that are famous for being famous.

To get back on topic...

Unless there is something different about the book (such as a different cover price or an insert), CGC has not been noting the Newsstand or separating them in the CGC census.

Spawn #1 with the UPC on the cover is a newsstand edition, but the CGC census does not mention it.

Spawn #9 with the UPC on the cover is a newsstand edition which was manufactured without the poster, so it is noted and the counts are separated in the CGC census.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:Spawn:/issue/9/comicyearend/1993/label/all/census/161101/censusprior/161101/

About a 30-to-1 ratio for Direct to Newsstand on the CGC census for Spawn #9.

We do have one example of a recent (2001) newsstand that is easy to identify even in a tiny photo, and it generally sells for more than the direct edition, but there is nothing different about the CGC label or census:

0158723003_1200.jpg

While I personally "like to collect" the newstands it's just personal preference....it's not on the CGC label lol I want it in writing haha that newstands are rarer in high grade

Newsstands are not always rarer in high grade. As a general rule, the closer to 1980 the book is, the less likely that high grade newsstands are anything special.

Or, to put it the other way... the further from 1980 the book is... the more it might be helpful to locate a high grade newsstand.

Key word being "might". Like almost all books... the "rarer" version of an unimportant book is usually also unimportant.

... and that's why books like Amazing Spider-man #667 selling for thousands of dollars makes little sense to many collectors. It's the "rarest" version of nothing special. Wow, let's fork over some bags of cash. lol

You lost me when you compared variant cover art by a top working artist in the industry to a hideous, meaningless bar code. meh

Many, many people collect comic books for their art, cover, or otherwise.

I could say that collecting a comic book based solely on the presence of a bar code (something that I can find on a bag of Doritos) is mind numbingly pointless, but then I would be saying "what you collect sucks and what I collect rocks".

And I don't say that.

-J.

You lost me when you compared variant cover art by a top working artist in the industry art to a hideous, meaningless bar code. meh

I could say that collecting a comic book based solely on the presence of a bar code (something that I can find on a bag of Doritos) is mind numbingly pointless, but then I would be saying "what you collect sucks and what I collect rocks".

And I don't say that.

-J.

You're not getting it (because you're always deluded about these things... anyone who doesn't believe me can check the history of his posts).

I'm saying that the 1st most important factor is what's ON THE PAGES inside the book.

2nd most important factor is whether there is only one way to get those pages, or if there are a variety in different quantities.

The barcode is part of the 2nd factor, and if the pages inside the book don't matter, then the barcode doesn't matter much.

$3,000+ for a copy of a recent book that contains NOTHING SPECIAL on the interior pages is nuts. You should get the HAND-PAINTED ORIGINAL ART FOR THE COVER for $3,000+... not a copy of a shrunken scan wrapped around nothing special inside.

If the cover is all that matters, that's just a folded low-quality lithograph, and $3,000+ for one of those is nuts, too.

What I collect for $3,000+ has a LOT MORE REASONS than "because it's nothing special wrapped in a standard copy of a different piece of art".

I hear there's a copy of a ocean sunset mural stapled to the front of a house in Arizona. Better shell out beach-front money!

You lost me when you compared variant cover art by a top working artist in the industry art to a hideous, meaningless bar code. meh

And I don't say that.

-J.

You're not getting it (because you're always deluded about these things... anyone who doesn't believe me can check the history of his posts).

I'm saying that the 1st most important factor is what's ON THE PAGES inside the book.

2nd most important factor is whether there is only one way to get those pages, or if there are a variety in different quantities.

The barcode is part of the 2nd factor, and if the pages inside the book don't matter, then the barcode doesn't matter much.

$3,000+ for a copy of a book that contains NOTHING SPECIAL on the interior pages is nuts. You should get the HAND-PAINTED ORIGINAL ART FOR THE COVER for $3,000+... not a copy of a shrunken scan wrapped around nothing special inside.

If the cover is all that matters, that's just a folded low-quality lithograph, and $3,000+ for one of those is nuts, too.

What I collect for $3,000+ has a LOT MORE REASONS than "because it's nothing special wrapped in a standard copy of a different piece of art".

I hear there's a copy of a ocean sunset mural stapled to the front of a house in Arizona. Better shell out beach-front money!

What's "special" is in the eye of the beholder.

This was already eloquently explained to you by another boardie.

By your (il)logic, a photocopy of any comic book should satisfy a comic book collector.

Talk about deluded. (or clueless, more accurately). doh!

Enjoy your "rare" bar codes.

-J.

And I don't say that.

-J.

$3,000+ for a copy of a book that contains NOTHING SPECIAL on the interior pages is nuts. You should get the HAND-PAINTED ORIGINAL ART FOR THE COVER for $3,000+... not a copy of a shrunken scan wrapped around nothing special inside.

By your (il)logic, a photocopy of any comic book should satisfy a comic book collector.

-J.

$3,000+ for nothing is a different conversation than $30 for nothing.

You're 100+ times more deluded than I am.

And I don't say that.

-J.

-J.

Again, YOUR idea of "nothing" is YOUR opinion. People collect different things for different reasons. You collect bar codes. Others collect ultra rare books in flagship titles by top industry artists.

And yes, you are deluded.

Good day.

-J.

And I don't say that.

-J.

-J.

Again, YOUR idea of "nothing" is YOUR opinion. People collect different things for different reasons. You collect bar codes. Others collect ultra rare books in flagship titles by top industry artists.

And yes, you are deluded.

Good day.

-J.

165829.jpg

Math. I'm stickin' with it.