• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand Versions
1 1

157 posts in this topic

While I personally "like to collect" the newstands it's just personal preference....it's not on the CGC label lol I want it in writing haha that newstands are rarer in high grade

Newsstands are not always rarer in high grade. As a general rule, the closer to 1980 the book is, the less likely that high grade newsstands are anything special.

Or, to put it the other way... the further from 1980 the book is... the more it might be helpful to locate a high grade newsstand.

Key word being "might". Like almost all books... the "rarer" version of an unimportant book is usually also unimportant.

... and that's why books like Amazing Spider-man #667 selling for thousands of dollars makes little sense to many collectors. It's the "rarest" version of nothing special. Wow, let's fork over some bags of cash. lol

Canadian Newsstand editions are the ones to go for. Regular newsstand is way too plentiful and there is generally not much of a value difference if at all. (thumbs u

While I personally "like to collect" the newstands it's just personal preference....it's not on the CGC label lol I want it in writing haha that newstands are rarer in high grade

Newsstands are not always rarer in high grade. As a general rule, the closer to 1980 the book is, the less likely that high grade newsstands are anything special.

Or, to put it the other way... the further from 1980 the book is... the more it might be helpful to locate a high grade newsstand.

Key word being "might". Like almost all books... the "rarer" version of an unimportant book is usually also unimportant.

... and that's why books like Amazing Spider-man #667 selling for thousands of dollars makes little sense to many collectors. It's the "rarest" version of nothing special. Wow, let's fork over some bags of cash. lol

Canadian Newsstand editions are the ones to go for. Regular newsstand is way too plentiful and there is generally not much of a value difference if at all. (thumbs u

If you're Canadian. (thumbs u

If you're from the USA then the Canadian newsstands are like North American Pence copies. lol

If you're from the USA then the Canadian newsstands are like North American Pence copies. lol

As long as American collectors keep paying premiums for Canadian newsstand variants you can call them whatever you like. lol

As long as American collectors keep paying premiums for Canadian newsstand variants you can call them whatever you like. lol

I'm waiting for a premium offer on the Canadian newsstand that I have...

1203864014_300.jpg

lol(thumbs u

1203864014_300.jpg

lol(thumbs u

That is the Quebec edition, not Canadian........ :devil:

1203864014_300.jpg

lol(thumbs u

Well, if Canadian editions get a premium for being more exotic than USA, and Quebec is more exotic than Canadian, I should expect a premium squared. :whistle:

Another oldie (for a Modern) but a goodie...

Wildcats2_UPC.jpg

These things with the silver prism foil were impossible to escape in 1993... the white ones were just weird (if they were even known) at the time.

This is a good example. I find these maybe once or twice a year and high grade is tougher. They sell around $5 for me, but its a nice example of a glowing difference. I didn't know this book existed for several years after it came out.

You lost me when you compared variant cover art by a top working artist in the industry art to a hideous, meaningless bar code. meh

Many, many people collect comic books for their art, cover, or otherwise.

I could say that collecting a comic book based solely on the presence of a bar code (something that I can find on a bag of Doritos) is mind numbingly pointless, but then I would be saying "what you collect sucks and what I collect rocks".

And I don't say that.

-J.

You're not getting it (because you're always deluded about these things... anyone who doesn't believe me can check the history of his posts).

I'm saying that the 1st most important factor is what's ON THE PAGES inside the book.

2nd most important factor is whether there is only one way to get those pages, or if there are a variety in different quantities.

The barcode is part of the 2nd factor, and if the pages inside the book don't matter, then the barcode doesn't matter much.

$3,000+ for a copy of a book that contains NOTHING SPECIAL on the interior pages is nuts. You should get the HAND-PAINTED ORIGINAL ART FOR THE COVER for $3,000+... not a copy of a shrunken scan wrapped around nothing special inside.

If the cover is all that matters, that's just a folded low-quality lithograph, and $3,000+ for one of those is nuts, too.

What I collect for $3,000+ has a LOT MORE REASONS than "because it's nothing special wrapped in a standard copy of a different piece of art".

I hear there's a copy of a ocean sunset mural stapled to the front of a house in Arizona. Better shell out beach-front money!

What's "special" is in the eye of the beholder.

This was already eloquently explained to you by another boardie.

By your (il)logic, a photocopy of any comic book should satisfy a comic book collector.

Talk about deluded. (or clueless, more accurately). doh!

Enjoy your "rare" bar codes.

-J.

$3,000+ for nothing is a different conversation than $30 for nothing.

You're 100+ times more deluded than I am.

Again, YOUR idea of "nothing" is YOUR opinion. People collect different things for different reasons. You collect bar codes. Others collect ultra rare books in flagship titles by top industry artists.

And yes, you are deluded.

Good day.

-J.

165829.jpg

Math. I'm stickin' with it.

lol

Edited by Fastballspecial

Another oldie (for a Modern) but a goodie...

Wildcats2_UPC.jpg

These things with the silver prism foil were impossible to escape in 1993... the white ones were just weird (if they were even known) at the time.

This is a good example. I find these maybe once or twice a year and high grade is tougher. They sell around $5 for me, but its a nice example of a glowing difference. I didn't know this book existed for several years after it came out.

Exactly! A $5 find that's fun is the whole point of these types of discussions.

1203864014_300.jpg

lol(thumbs u

Well, if Canadian editions get a premium for being more exotic than USA, and Quebec is more exotic than Canadian, I should expect a premium squared. :whistle:

Canadian Newsstands are variants from Marvel. That is just a foreign licensed reprint.

But you could go find out where solarcadouche is hanging out now. I'm sure he'd be happy to give you a ridiculous amount of money for that issue.

1203864014_300.jpg

lol(thumbs u

Canadian Newsstands are variants from Marvel. That is just a foreign licensed reprint.

Yes, I know what it is... I was just kidding around. The fact that it's a foreign licensed reprint from 1974 is what makes it special to me (primarily because Wolverine is Canadian). Most foreign licensed reprints are for American heroes printed years after. They really feel "foreign" and "reprinty".

Same year reprints are a little closer to being the real thing. Like Saga #1 RRP. :kidaround:

You lost me when you compared variant cover art by a top working artist in the industry art to a hideous, meaningless bar code. meh

Many, many people collect comic books for their art, cover, or otherwise.

I could say that collecting a comic book based solely on the presence of a bar code (something that I can find on a bag of Doritos) is mind numbingly pointless, but then I would be saying "what you collect sucks and what I collect rocks".

And I don't say that.

-J.

You're not getting it (because you're always deluded about these things... anyone who doesn't believe me can check the history of his posts).

I'm saying that the 1st most important factor is what's ON THE PAGES inside the book.

2nd most important factor is whether there is only one way to get those pages, or if there are a variety in different quantities.

The barcode is part of the 2nd factor, and if the pages inside the book don't matter, then the barcode doesn't matter much.

$3,000+ for a copy of a book that contains NOTHING SPECIAL on the interior pages is nuts. You should get the HAND-PAINTED ORIGINAL ART FOR THE COVER for $3,000+... not a copy of a shrunken scan wrapped around nothing special inside.

If the cover is all that matters, that's just a folded low-quality lithograph, and $3,000+ for one of those is nuts, too.

What I collect for $3,000+ has a LOT MORE REASONS than "because it's nothing special wrapped in a standard copy of a different piece of art".

I hear there's a copy of a ocean sunset mural stapled to the front of a house in Arizona. Better shell out beach-front money!

What's "special" is in the eye of the beholder.

This was already eloquently explained to you by another boardie.

By your (il)logic, a photocopy of any comic book should satisfy a comic book collector.

Talk about deluded. (or clueless, more accurately). doh!

Enjoy your "rare" bar codes.

-J.

$3,000+ for nothing is a different conversation than $30 for nothing.

You're 100+ times more deluded than I am.

Again, YOUR idea of "nothing" is YOUR opinion. People collect different things for different reasons. You collect bar codes. Others collect ultra rare books in flagship titles by top industry artists.

And yes, you are deluded.

Good day.

-J.

165829.jpg

Math. I'm stickin' with it.

lol

....What's really lol is the book was doing exactly what I said it would until the movie announcement.

:gossip: And that has nothing to do with "math".

lol

-J.

....What's really lol is the book was doing exactly what I said it would until the movie announcement.

lol

-J.

So, your prediction was slightly true until it became hilariously false due to the only real-world events that ever happen to comic books. Good call, Nostradumbass.

lol

-J.

So, your prediction was slightly true until it became hilariously false due to the only real-world events that ever happen to comic books. Good call, Nostradumbass.

And you pointing out a price spike after a movie announcement is also ground breaking news, Captain Obvious? (thumbs u

Next, be sure to tell everybody that it got darker earlier a month after Daylight Savings Time ends. lol

-J.

lol

-J.

And you pointing out a price spike after a movie bump is also ground breaking news, Captain Obvious? (thumbs u

Next, be sure to tell everybody that it will get dark earlier when daylight Savings Time ends. lol

-J.

This is exactly who I picture every time you post:

https://twitter.com/jaydogrules

So, you were in the 5th grade in 2012... that makes you... hm

Math.

lol

-J.

And you pointing out a price spike after a movie announcement is also ground breaking news, Captain Obvious? (thumbs u

Next, be sure to tell everybody it got darker earlier a month after Daylight Savings Time ends. lol

-J.

Math.

:roflmao: Better stick to number crunching newsies, because sleuthing isn't your thing.

-J.

lol

-J.

Next, be sure to tell everybody it got darker earlier a month after Daylight Savings Time ends. lol

-J.

Math.

:roflmao: Better stick to number crunching newsies, because sleuthing isn't your thing.

-J.

I know it's not you. It's the mentality of someone who would pick "Jaydogrules" as their username. It's you... and that kid. Sympatico.

You might as well have picked "wannabegangsta4reelz", j-dizzlerizzle.

lol

-J.

-J.

Math.

-J.

I know it's not you. It's the mentality of someone who would pick "Jaydogrules" as their username. It's you... and that kid. Sympatico.

I'm flattered that you try to picture me as you read my posts. :blush:;)

-J.

lol

-J.

-J.

Math.

-J.

I'm flattered that you try to picture me as you read my posts. :blush:;)

-J.

Flatter yourself all you want. Here's what I'm seeing:

1dkbsv.jpg