• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

books slabbed in new CGC holder without inner well

22 posts in this topic

Hi all. I hope this question isn't beating a dead horse...? I have a trio of books that were slabbed early on when the new holder was introduced, before the inner well was added... These books are showing no signs of wrinkling. As a matter of fact they look awesome! My question is... Should I have them re-holder? The books in question are ASM #129 8.5, ASM #700 Ditko variant 9.8 and Wolverine #1 limited series 9.8... I definitely want to be on the safe side with these... What do some of you guys think.. Should I re holder ?

yes, imo, get them reholdered. 1. you said you wanted to be one the safe side. 2. In the future when you go to selI the old new holder may not bring the same price as the new new holder due to its reputation (the concern there may be damage to the book and the hassle of getting it reholdered).

think CGC will still reholder them for free if you contact them first.

ya I say do it, send'em back. It's free and just a matter of your tiime :) also they won't "regrade" them so they'll recieve same grade and status, plus if you ever part with them for something bigger and badder people may look for the innerwell and not see it and think badly of your books...etc when your looking to trade/sell. Also If you say they look fine? I'd still send them back because when I did, I sent back a little at a time, the new holder with the innerwell looked sooooo much better I don't know if it was because of less newton rings or not but when I got some back that didn't really have newton rings before, they were still clearer and I could tell a difference :)

On a more serious note I know there were some of that class of holders that weren't affected. At least thats what CGC said in their initial email. I had one book re-holdered because of its value but left a couple books alone because I really liked the presentation and they didn't show any signs of waving. I hope CGC figures out a way to make that design work because it really made a difference when it came to visibility.

I'm really leaning toward doing re holder... I'm going to RI comic con two weeks from now. I may just drop them off for re holder there...? I totally agree. They present so well in those new holders without the well... It looks like the book is floating in the air through the crystal clear case...

I'm really leaning toward doing re holder... I'm going to RI comic con two weeks from now. I may just drop them off for re holder there...? I totally agree. They present so well in those new holders without the well... It looks like the book is floating in the air through the crystal clear case...

I also loved the look of the old new holder, it's too bad about the problems it has.

Also, no offense was meant with the sarcastic gif earlier, sorry for derailing your thread.

:foryou: from a fellow Nutmegger (originally)

I have 6 of them. Two are showing waves, but I'm having all 6 reholdered.

I looked at the original email they sent me and it seems like they will make a judgement as to whether or not it needs replacing... Is this true? The one I submitted was wavy so there was no question but I wonder if there are those who have the book sent back with the original holder. Or if they're asked to pay for it.

I looked at the original email they sent me and it seems like they will make a judgement as to whether or not it needs replacing... Is this true? The one I submitted was wavy so there was no question but I wonder if there are those who have the book sent back with the original holder. Or if they're asked to pay for it.

Not that I'm aware of. I emailed and asked if they'd reholder for free, and the response was "absolutely".

Reholder now while it is still free. I'm sure CGC will cut off the freebies after enough time has elapsed. Personally, I don't feel like the books are safe in the new 'old' holders and problems may appear later. I will not purchase any books in the new holder without the inner well. Not worth the risk. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Not that I'm aware of. I emailed and asked if they'd reholder for free, and the response was "absolutely".

I always submit through the comic book store, saves me the trouble of packing safely etc and they just charge what it would cost me, and they have enough traffic with it that I trust them...

ANYWAY MY POINT:

Basically if you call customer service and explaing to them the date that it was encased in the time period of the "old new" case then they shouldn't question it. From April ?? to June 20th....officially June 23rd when they posted it to the boards, but 2 of mine were graded the weekend preceding the 23rd as the 23rd was on a Monday, I hope I don't run into any problems when selling (if ever) but mine are in a new new case. They were IH 180 & 181 but I'm sure they won't reholder mine just so my "dates" add up... lol hopefully people are looking for the inner well and not just using CGC verification lookup :)