• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Updated: Bedrock City Texas Triangle Comic Art Gatheringing Report!

59 posts in this topic

Report is forthcoming- I may or may not post some of the dozen or so pictures I have- maybe if you say "pretty please".... :shy:

But the art assembled in one room yesterday rivaled the Next HA Signature Auction and Comiclink combined, both in quantity and quality. Maybe half a dozen auctions in certain respects....

:headbang:

ok, ok, I will post one teaser.....

IMG_8634_zpsdye133uq.jpg

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

Report is forthcoming- I may or may not post some of the dozen or so pictures I have- maybe if you say "pretty please".... :shy:

But the art assembled in one room yesterday rivaled the Next HA Signature Auction and Comiclink combined, both in quantity and quality. Maybe half a dozen auctions in certain respects....

:headbang:

ok, ok, I will post one teaser.....

IMG_8634_zpsdye133uq.jpg

That is quite the teaser :applause:

Texas Triangle Comic Art Report:

Saturday around 12:30 we arrived at Bedrock City's flagship store- as soon and Weirdpaper and I walked thru the door, Mr. Bedrock's staff saw us with portfolio's and immediately ushered us into the warehouse, where Mr. Bedrock, ever the consummate host greeted us and showed us his very nice boardroom space for us to meet in, a few guys had just arrived as well that were local, with more on the way. Before we kicked it off, those of us that had not been in the store in some years since they moved across the street has to first take a gander at Richard's Sanctum Sanctorum were he had a few choice pieces hanging:

Just the earliest known Superman Cover: :o

IMG_8601_zpslhw2cliw.jpg

IMG_8600_zpslkcwopxc.jpg

Richard and some painting by some guy that did some stuff: hm

IMG_8603_zpsubsfgcpk.jpg

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

Continued....

More guys started to arrive- Tom Coker was running late, as was Mark Nelson, so we had to bide our time looking at a tub of art, or should I say, the MOAB (the mother of all art bombs) that someone brought (fortunately we were in a windowless room, so the impact didn't shower us with broken glass from the concussive force) along with all the other Itoya portfolios strewn around the table:

IMG_8609_zpspwmoo6kz.jpg

PRC looking at a cover by some guy named Willie, Woody, I forget....

IMG_8622_zpsl8kcyelr.jpg

Lots of art to look at:

IMG_8614_zpsyn6rfg5f.jpg

I took a selfie to make sure I wasn't dreaming:- Speaking of dreaming, I didn't seem to get a pic of the greatest collection of Sandman Keith art I've ever seen....such is the elusive nature of Dream.

IMG_8612_zpsgkrtfakr.jpg

It doesn't get any better than this:

IMG_8624_zpsl1ppydur.jpg

All in all, about a dozen guys floated in and out during the day- about 5 hour of time. I was most pleased to see artist Mark Nelson attend- having an artist that knew many of these artists over the decades, as a pro, and as a fan gave things a new perspective, and he really enjoyed seeing all the art in way that's much different than most of us.

So we will have to start thinking ahead on when and where to have the next gathering of the Texas Triangle, and promote it a little more and earlier next time. Perhaps along I-35, SA or Austin in the Spring. Thanks everyone that came out, lots of illuminating conversations about people, dealers, auction houses, artist's, and all things in between. And a huge thanks to Mr. Bedrock for hosting and having such an excellent space for the gathering. It will be hard to top that.

Continued....

More guys started to arrive- Tom Coker was running late, as was Mark Nelson, so we had to bide our time looking at a tub of art, or should I say, the MOAB (the mother of all art bombs) that someone brought (fortunately we were in a windowless room, so the impact didn't shower us with broken glass from the concussive force) along with all the other Itoya portfolios strewn around the table:

IMG_8609_zpspwmoo6kz.jpg

PRC looking at a cover by some guy named Willie, Woody, I forget....

IMG_8622_zpsl8kcyelr.jpg

Lots of art to look at:

IMG_8614_zpsyn6rfg5f.jpg

I took a selfie to make sure I wasn't dreaming:- Speaking of dreaming, I didn't seem to get a pic of the greatest collection of Sandman Keith art I've ever seen....such is the elusive nature of Dream.

IMG_8612_zpsgkrtfakr.jpg

It doesn't get any better than this:

IMG_8624_zpsl1ppydur.jpg

All in all, about a dozen guys floated in and out during the day- about 5 hour of time. I was most pleased to see artist Mark Nelson attend- having an artist that knew many of these artists over the decades, as a pro, and as a fan gave things a new perspective, and he really enjoyed seeing all the art in way that's much different than most of us.

So we will have to start thinking ahead on when and where to have the next gathering of the Texas Triangle, and promote it a little more and earlier next time. Perhaps along I-35, SA or Austin in the Spring. Thanks everyone that came out, lots of illuminating conversations about people, dealers, auction houses, artist's, and all things in between. And a huge thanks to Mr. Bedrock for hosting and having such an excellent space for the gathering. It will be hard to top that.

Love the Al Williamson Flash Gordon page and the Byrne X-Men. Sounds like everyone had a great time.

This was such a fun event. I had a blast being involved and I really wish it could have lasted longer, or at least that I could have stayed around a little longer. We can always use the store a a fallback plan if another location doesn't work.