• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Updated: Bedrock City Texas Triangle Comic Art Gatheringing Report!

59 posts in this topic

To the fellow Texas collectors at last week's art gathering,

Tremendous fun and many thanks to Bedrock Richard for hosting.

FWIW, I TOLD YOU SO! That Byrne X-Men 114 page barely passed the $15K mark with the vig. While there has already been much discussion on the Heritage thread with the soft pricing realized on this page and several other items in the HA Signature Original Comic Art, I could not see this 114 page going for the premium pricing.

For all others, we had a friendly debate on 12 November during the art gathering where several collectors disagreed with my assessment that this page would hammer in the $16K to $18K range. Many thought that this page would pass the $20K level with the vig. I held my position, and now (to use a Marvel phrase from my childhood)....vindication is mine!

Ciao!

PRC

Bumping this thread to post a link to an article about @MrBedrock and his Action cover:

http://cw39.com/2017/03/20/local-book-store-owner-displays-30000-one-of-a-kind-superman-comic-book-cover/

we saw this first hand when Richard hosted the First Texas Triangle Comic Art Gathering back in November.  We should start taking about when to have another one. Spring is upon us, and Convention season will be here before we know it and schedules will fill up for certain people in the LoneStar State.  @Weird Paper, @tentpeg06, @alxjhnsn

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 3:03 AM, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Bumping this thread to post a link to an article about @MrBedrock and his Action cover:

http://cw39.com/2017/03/20/local-book-store-owner-displays-30000-one-of-a-kind-superman-comic-book-cover/

we saw this first hand when Richard hosted the First Texas Triangle Comic Art Gathering back in November.  We should start taking about when to have another one. Spring is upon us, and Convention season will be here before we know it and schedules will fill up for certain people in the LoneStar State.  @Weird Paper, @tentpeg06, @alxjhnsn

@MrBedrock Is that Spellbound poster a poster or OA?

48 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

I'm sure it's just the one sheet (poster) for the film...I don't think Richard would have added stats to the original painting, as I'm guessing they weren't on the original.

Edited by delekkerste

22 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

True that. But the more movie poster art people post, the more I see hand-painted lettering, etc. I'm not familiar enough with the history of movie poster illustration. Time to go read up!

That is true - a lot of the examples Terry has posted have stats or hand-lettering (and look better with them - they seem to work better on posters with multiple images; most single-image posters I think look better without the added dressing...just my opinion).  Though, I wonder if that's because I believe a lot of his movie poster art is either (a) by Tom Chantrell and/or (b) prototype/not final version art.  I've seen hundreds of movie poster originals (mostly final versions) over the years offered by various dealers & auction houses, and the overwhelming majority I've seen have little or no lettering (either stats or hand-drawn). 2c 

Edited by delekkerste

18 hours ago, delekkerste said:

That is true - a lot of the examples Terry has posted have stats or hand-lettering (and look better with them - they seem to work better on posters with multiple images; most single-image posters I think look better without the added dressing...just my opinion).  Though, I wonder if that's because I believe a lot of his movie poster art is either (a) by Tom Chantrell and/or (b) prototype/not final version art.  I've seen hundreds of movie poster originals (mostly final versions) over the years offered by various dealers & auction houses, and the overwhelming majority I've seen have little or no lettering (either stats or hand-drawn). 2c 

Chantrell was proficient (and imaginative) in the art of creating main titles for his poster art, usually incorporated in the final design, whether painted directly onto the art boards, in the form of pasted-up elements, or on separate overlays.

Last week I purchased Sam Peffer's original painting for the 1976 British sex-comedy, 'Under the Doctor'.  The painting carries a separate tissue overlay with main title, cast and production credits.  The art wouldn't look good with the overlay in place . . .  and without the main title looks sorely lacking.

Currently I'm having an American friend create for me a clear overlay that incorporates most of the text elements to match the final (printed) image.

Attachment 1 shows the poster art how it was painted . . . attachment 2 shows the tissue overlay with text elements in place . . . and attachment 3 shows the printed movie poster (which I'm aiming to replicate with the overlay my friend is creating for me).

doctor 1.png

doctor 2.png

doctor 3.png

On Thu Mar 23 2017 at 10:07 AM, BCarter27 said:

It is the movie one-sheet...poster.

Bumping this- to do a con update for recent activity involving most of the Texas Comic Art Collectors at Comicpalooza 2017 in Houston, and Alamo City Comic Con 2017 last weekend:

First off- @Weird Paper and I had a booth selling Comics at Comicpalooza-

we had a smattering of comic art and pinups with us as well, sold a few things, nothing earth shattering.

Tom Coker used one of our extra badges for the show and Friday night we went out for dinner and beers  Tom's always fun to talk to, he's such a character and a very nice guy.

Saturday, Phil Churchill met up with us, and we talked art for awhile, stopped by @MrBedrock's booth, and discussed when we'd have the next comic art gathering, which we think will be fall in SA or Austin. We saw Clayton at the show, we saw @alxjhnsn, who has a much more extensive con report than I'm capable of writing.  PRC got an obscure Terry Austin portfolio from us and we tracked down Steve Leialoha and got him to sign one of the plates he inked, which he enjoyed seeing.  That evening Weird Paper, Abel, and I Ubered over to MrBedrock's store and had a lively dinner with him and his family. We talked about comics, art, business, music- always enjoy talking with Richard. 

Fast forward 2 weeks later- Alamo City ComicCon- which had one of it's strongest guest lists for artists so far: Neal Adams, John Cassaday, Sam Keith, Frank Miller, Klaus Janson, and more.  We didn't set up for this show because we were just too exhausted from Comicpalooza to do it all again that soon.

I went to the show late afternoon Friday just to hang out and say high to dealer buddies (thanks for the badge @THB!) - it was almost a reunion of many of the dealers that were in Houston.  I saw vintage Sci Fi/ Fantasy Art collector Glynn Crain and was catching up with him and up walks Albert Moy.  I was surprised he'd come to this show, but he reps Cassaday and Keith, so he brought a small sampling of art for sale right next to Sam Keith and John Cassaday's tables. I hadn't seen Albert at a show in over a decade since I stopped going to SDCC and since this wasn't a hectic show like SDCC, Albert had more time to chat and hang out.

I just missed seeing Mr, Bedrock before he drove back to Houston (he had 1 table at the show and left a man in charge), who had lunch earlier that day with Glynn and Albert.  After the show I drove Hugo and World Fantasy Award winning Illustrator John Picacio over to Glynn's because Moy and Cassaday were coming over and Picacio and Cassaday, both being Texas boys, were buds back when they were just starting their respective careers, so they had a reunion of sorts.  Somehow, Tom Coker, who seems to be everywhere, was Moy and Cassadays wheels for the evening, so we all hung out and had a very late dinner.   Lot's of good conversation, and Albert was very entertaining to say the least.  I'm not sure the show was worth his time sales-wise, but I hope he enjoyed himself. Hopefully Sam Keith did as well, this being only his second con appearance in the last 15 years.  Cassaday had some steady traffic, but it was never anything overwhelming that I could see.  

I enjoyed Alamo City from a social perspective, but didn't spend a dime-  I spent a couple hours Saturday at the show with a college friend because his 9-year-old son had never been to a con before.  My one take away:  I'm sick to death of Funko Pop! Bobbleheads and Fidget Spinners. They need to go away.

until next time- hopefully we will firm up a date for the next art get together.

IMG_9193.jpg

IMG_9228.jpg

IMG_9258.JPG

DBBMv16UAAAFHGf.jpg-large.jpeg

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

11 hours ago, The Blot said:

Thanks for sharing!  Really kicking myself for not going to ACCC this year. Would love to meet Sam Keith one day. 

Same here - nice to see that he set up at a show. I hope he does a show that I attend! 

We normally go to ACCC and had thought that we'd drive over Friday for Friday evening and back Saturday night since Kathy works on Sunday. Sadly, work and real life interfered. Next year!