• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World staffer raked $1M worth of autographs

16 posts in this topic

Why would a certain celebrity be "money losing" for a Wizard convention but then make money for Stephen Shamus? Like getting Paul Michael Glaser is going to cause Wizard to lose money, but Shamus is making the fat stacks off items signed by him? I don't get it (shrug)

Why would a certain celebrity be "money losing" for a Wizard convention but then make money for Stephen Shamus? Like getting Paul Michael Glaser is going to cause Wizard to lose money, but Shamus is making the fat stacks off items signed by him? I don't get it (shrug)

My guess is the actual company money paid to the celebrities more than what they made at the gates and for tables but Slthat money didn't come out of Stephen's pockets so the loads of auto's he got for himself he sold for pure profit on his end.

My guess is the actual company money paid to the celebrities more than what they made at the gates and for tables but Slthat money didn't come out of Stephen's pockets so the loads of auto's he got for himself he sold for pure profit on his end.

I call that capitalism. (shrug)

Not just any staffer but Stephen Shamus, brother of Wizard's and Wizard World's Gareb Shamus. He was also chief marketing officer of Wizard.

Makes me wonder if the Shamus family ever had to pay anything for some of those artwork they received from the artist's back in the high flying 90's. Especially when Wizard had their Hot Top 10 List going which many of the speculators followed like a hawk.

An absolute ton of top notch high profile artwork like the cover to Spidey 328 which sold for over $650K a few years ago on Heritage. It was simply amazing what they had in terms of classic artwork from the white hot artists of the day.

Scratch my back and I'll scratch your back in return. Anything's possible and nothing would surprise me when it comes to these types of things, with the kind of money involved here. hm

Really?

So if you were the CEO of a company, you'd have no problem with an employee negotiating money-losing deals for your company just so they could pad their own pockets on the side? :eyeroll:

Really?

So if you were the CEO of a company, you'd have no problem with an employee negotiating money-losing deals for your company just so they could pad their own pockets on the side? :eyeroll:

Sarcasm really doesn't go over well on a message does it. meh

I was kidding. :eyeroll:

As he was doing this for almost two decades, I suspect there is far more to the story

Why was he allowed to keep making these money losing deals, for example.

Interesting to say the least. Wizard has had a rough go, but I've never seen a celeb list from their end and thought "what on earth are they doing?"

Not just any staffer but Stephen Shamus, brother of Wizard's and Wizard World's Gareb Shamus. He was also chief marketing officer of Wizard.

Makes me wonder if the Shamus family ever had to pay anything for some of those artwork they received from the artist's back in the high flying 90's. Especially when Wizard had their Hot Top 10 List going which many of the speculators followed like a hawk.

An absolute ton of top notch high profile artwork like the cover to Spidey 328 which sold for over $650K a few years ago on Heritage. It was simply amazing what they had in terms of classic artwork from the white hot artists of the day.

Scratch my back and I'll scratch your back in return. Anything's possible and nothing would surprise me when it comes to these types of things, with the kind of money involved here. hm

They didn't pay much of anything for those Mcfarlane pages, they traded sportscards for them at the time, in an old Mcfarlane interview he said "Shamus family is a bunch of sharks, but I say that lovingly. They wanted to trade me some rare sportscards for some of my artwork, I thought I was getting a good deal but one page they got was the cover to Spider-Man 1" unquote