• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete catalogs on ComicArtAds.com

25 posts in this topic

Good afternoon! I am happy to announce that www.comicartads.com is now featuring complete art catalogs, scanned and uploaded for your viewing pleasure. The first catalog added to the site is Tony Dispoto's Comic Art Showcase #1 (1974):

http://comicartads.com/content/comic-art-showcase-1-tony-dispoto-1974

I will be adding more complete, historic catalogs over the next few weeks. And if you haven't checked www.comicartads.com in a while, I have recently uploaded scans of art ads featuring the art of Marshall Rogers, Keith Pollard, Mark Texeira, John Romita Jr., George Perez, Gene Colan, and others.

Enjoy! Best regards, Lee

Amazing.

Lots of fun to look at this stuff and wonder why I was fixated on completing my run of Famous Monsters Of Filmland at the 70s Phil Seuling shows instead of this stuff...

Thanks a million for taking on what has to be a time consuming project without compensation. Enjoying this so much !!

Thanks a million for taking on what has to be a time consuming project without compensation. Enjoying this so much !!

You are very welcome! Comments like yours make this effort all worthwhile. It is a lot of work, and I don't make a dime off of it (quite the opposite, in fact!), but it is fun and keeps me busy. Best, Lee

Lee

Agree what others have posted. I know I must be sitting on some old old art catalogs. If I dig them out would you be willing to scan them if I sent them your way?

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I have two other catalogs completely scanned and hope to post them soon.

I'd be happy to try to scan catalogs that any of you might want to send my way. Please feel free to PM me to let me know what you have, as I do have two small file cabinets of art catalogs already, and I wouldn't want you to send me anything that I already have. Best, Lee

Hi folks! I added another complete catalog to www.comicartads.com last night. It is a catalog from 1976, published by Larry Shell, and it features some nice images of strip and comic book art:

http://comicartads.com/content/comic-art-gallery-1-lawrence-shell-1976

Please also check out and "like" the Facebook page associated with this website:

https://www.facebook.com/comicartads/

Once or twice a week I post scans of really old comic art ads from various sources on Facebook. The most recent post advertises a 1979 appearance of Jack Kirby at a California comic book shop, where Jack was bringing a lot of his original art to sell.

Best, Lee

You're doing good work here, Lee, thanks for making all this available.

I did a similar thing on this forum several years ago when I uploaded the bulk of the Russ Cochran Comic Art Auction catalogs (together with a record of prices realised).

Fun to look back on, even if a little depressing to see low prices of those times . . .

Of course it is interesting to see these catalogs and the prices of old, but from a collecting perspective, I find the most interesting part of this not that prices were really cheap compared to today, but to see the relative price difference for many things, especially the vast pricing difference between comic strip art and comic book art that was a staple of this hobby in the years that I first started collecting (essentially mid to late 70' and early 80's, though I didn't buy a whole lot) I am less "oh gee, why didn't I buy things when they were cheap" than, wow, you could have bought 4 or 5 Ditko spiderman pages and a 5 page Thor sequence by Kirby for the same price as a late Caniff Terry and the Pirates Sunday. Now one of those Ditko's could buy you several Terry Sundays-likely even from the more sought after late 30's or early 40's Sunday strips. That showed clearly that the monied collectors were the strip art guys at that point. Now that worm has turned, so looking forward, what is the next change in relative values going to be? Are we going to be saying, geez you could have bought 10 pages by X for the price of that page by Y and it would have been brilliant!