• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STRANGE ADVENTURES #12 Evaluation What Do You Think??

1 post in this topic

Hello,

I have a question for anyone that might read this and would like to comment. In general when trying to put a price on a comic that does not have many graded issues along with only a few sold copies over the years how would one try to figure the right price? The comic book in question is Strange Adventures #12 from 1950. This copy is exceptional it’s the nicest golden age book I have ever owned pictures don’t give it justice. I have sent it to the Restoration lab for Susan to work on if needed (Press Dry clean) before submitting to CGC. Looking at the previous high graded copies (9.2 and up) this copy out shines them by a wide margin overall (defects, interior page quality, and overall cover gloss).

The average sell price for a 9.2 is $1,050 (10+ years since last high grade sale) currently there is a 8.5 for sale for $600. For a moment if one was to assert that this copy is in the realm 9.6 or better (look at scans for reference) the caveat being we all know how rare high grade on any book this age is how would you come to overall conclusion of value? There is currently 30 issues graded total in the census with only two 9.2's and a single 9.6 all of which have been sold years ago. I don't believe the 9.6 has ever come to market. My theory would be assuming that high grade Golden age might increase in value at 3% year over year given an average of 10 years since the last high grade sale I would put a base value of ballpark $1,400 on a CGC graded 9.2. Taking that amount into account I would seem to think that a 9.4 would be around 50% higher in value in a 9.4 which would be around $2,100 or more. Where I start to loose track for evaluation considering there are only a handful of high end copies my theory would be a 9.6 for $3,500 and a 9.8 for $7,000. At this metric as an educated guess am I on the right track?. If so is there any additional premium being the highest graded copy of any book with one of one being the single highest copy? This is all just speculation but interesting to find out how someone would judge any golden age book in this manner and if I am in the ball park.

Regards,

Jason

Note: Purchased last week online (White spec was a piece of something was not there when received)

Note: Last two photos are of the last two 9.2's sold you can find them on HA Auction if you would like see source:

vio2eg.jpg[/img]

hv9efs.jpg

2iv09cp.jpg

k4wn4i.jpg

1zxp35i.jpg