• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is "Infinity Gauntlet" the magnum opus of all Marvel stories?

Marvel magnum opus  

333 members have voted

1. 1. Marvel magnum opus

73 posts in this topic

Ok I'll be the weirdo: Yes, IG is hands down Marvel's Magnus opus to me, and I prefer Lim's art to Perez'. (*Ducks to miss a tomato*)

I preferred Lim over Perez as well, but I was a big SS fan back then and I loved Lim's cosmic style.

For me, though, IG was a bit of a bloated mess and I remember feeling a tad letdown back then. It's just really not that great. It's kind of the norm by now, but all these mega-arcs that bring everyone in typically end up being much ado about nothing. I reread it about 10 years ago and it still didn't do too much for me.

I much prefer storylines that focus on one or two characters rather than the 20-man over-the-top-rope Battle Royale stuff.

+1

Which is why something like Brubaker's Winter Soldier storyline or Daredevil Born Again could just as well be considered two of Marvel's greatest works.

+2

Operation Galactic Storm (an under-rated gem) is one of my absolute favourite Marvel sagas. It has such a complex story, layered characters, and a satisfying resolution. It's especially good considering the period it was produced in. I really rate it.

Dark Phoenix Saga is the obvious choice, and a strong contender. I do think it a bit weak in parts, but overall I really like it

For something more modern I'd choose Hickman's Fantastic Four run. It's a solid run which proved that the FF doesn't have to be a stale rehash of Lee/Kirby or stuck in the retro 60's. It put forward bold new ideas, cementing FF as the book where new ideas were experimented with. Great stuff, and a run I genuinely believe people will still be coming back to in 20 years time.

The recent Vision series by Tom King is truly excellent, and one of the best modern Marvel comics I've read. In a few years' time, retrospectively, I can see it being placed on a greatest work / magnum opus list.

I liked IG well enough, but geez magnum opus, nah....many I liked more...the Korvac saga in the Avengers was essentially the same premise, done much better...and I agree with many better choices already thrown out here too....Kree/Skrull War, Operation Galactic Storm (totally under the radar), Galactus trilogy, Last Avengers story...

Loved Dark Phoenix saga too, but I have been wishing for 30 years for a What If version where the Beast calls in his Avengers buddies to help out and Thor, Iron Man and co shred the crime syndicate version of the Legion. But I digress....

I'll also add the Avengers/Defenders war and Demon in a Bottle to the mix, and several shorter but equally awesome, grand stories: Death of Capt Marvel; God Loves, Man Kills; Avengers' Count Nefaria trilogy in 164-166, ASM 121-122, heck even Thor #300 comes to mind...

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple earlier FF sagas from the first 100.