• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Australian Price Variants
7 7

648 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Some nice books being put up in here

Ahhhh memories

Have you got any Triple P? Nesqrick2 can't own every comic in Australia.

Can he?

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

:wishluck:

Found it. It's not labelled AU. Neither were random issues around it, like 404 and 394. However, interestingly, they were all labelled as Direct Edition with a barcode, despite being newsstand books here. I thought that was weird. 

9 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Found it. It's not labelled AU. Neither were random issues around it, like 404 and 394. However, interestingly, they were all labelled as Direct Edition with a barcode, despite being newsstand books here. I thought that was weird. 

Drat. I'd love to see a 'new' ASM AUS. It seems my research was too good! :insane:

Thanks for looking though. Not sure why you got a DE from a newsstand. Did Australian comic shops not get Directs?

So glad I've found some Aussie variant enthusiasts!
I remember these from the newsagencies in my early days of collecting - and have been picking them up here and then.
Sometimes I get caught up in the condition but I think there's always an opportunity to upgrade an issue over time.

Missed the boat on quite a few keys now though, but will focus on the Amazing Spider-Man stuff as a focus.

At the time, I picked up a heap of Man of Steel 17 and 18s - which after digging them up a year or two ago, turns out they were newsstand variants which is pretty cool.

Anyway cheers fellas!

3 hours ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Hahah he most probably does 

I gave all my Aussie variants away in my late teens, something I regret but that's life

That is indeed life, yes PPP. I sold my ASM set to a friend. He wanted them more than I did. Do I regret it?

Spoiler

YES!

3 hours ago, kalvin74 said:

So glad I've found some Aussie variant enthusiasts!

You'll be able to count our numbers on one hand soon kalvin! :headbang:

3 hours ago, kalvin74 said:

Missed the boat on quite a few keys now though, but will focus on the Amazing Spider-Man stuff as a focus.

Ah, good choice :cloud9:

5aae681161130_SpideyWindow.gif.f4d31d911403b4dc037fc355297b3b47.gif

I have to say, the main reason I went after the ASM books was because I was a Spidey completist so, of course, I had to have them. It was easily the hardest run of books I ever put together and I like to think I led the way in determining what existed / exists for that title. Hardly anyone else seemed to care too much apart from me and the friend I eventually sold them to.

Being in the UK, collecting them was doubly hard. Ebay.au was about it, and I spent many many hours scouring those pages over a 2-3 year period. I dug out my old records (any excuse!) and can see that they lot cost me £260 to collect (excluded postage). Not bad really.

As far as documenting them went I started off in word:

1.thumb.PNG.eb5120c774e8a0b0b09ca399489b9a5d.PNG

2.PNG.2c6b6e2b29f6adf5c35d0a6a0de57317.PNG

....and then moved on to excel:

3.thumb.PNG.443dc92c8f8196155845a5bcb5c12d62.PNG

In the end, I managed what I believe to be the full set of these 53 books and one annual:

aus1.PNG.e8ee009f6405f27b8b03fbd9193a5664.PNG

They looked quite nice as a group I have to say - here they are hiding among their other Spidey variant cousins:

4.thumb.PNG.ecf2a03b9ebee81f91577612df9e21d4.PNG

I remember one time when I ordered some newsstand books from the US. When the package came, one of the books was not only an AUS copy, but a copy that, at the time, no one knew existed! What are the chances.

I had great fun putting them together and I hope you do too kalvin. If you ever find an ASM book that's not on the list, do come and let us know. I may no longer collect them but they still really interest me. You're up against @nesqrick2 though, and he has proven himself to be the AUS King. 

So good luck! (thumbsu

10 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Drat. I'd love to see a 'new' ASM AUS. It seems my research was too good! :insane:

Thanks for looking though. Not sure why you got a DE from a newsstand. Did Australian comic shops not get Directs?

At that time, I'm not sure. I think they would have, as I had one comic shop a few hours from me, when I was a kid. I occasionally got to go there, and stock up on Fantastic Four comics (that's the comic I was mad on, go figure). The benefit of buying from the comic shop was that they were 3 months ahead of where the newsagents were, ie if I picked up #390 at the newsagent it meant that the comic shop would have #393. 

For a solid answer I'd have to look through my old FFs, as they are a mixture of newsstand and the occasional comic shop purchase from the time. 

Get Marwood& i, I will produce more chart listing for Iron man, Captain America, Avengers and X-force, the cover month for the 1990 -1994 Aus Price Variant. I hope you look at the last two listing.

1 hour ago, nesqrick2 said:

Get Marwood& i, I will produce more chart listing for Iron man, Captain America, Avengers and X-force, the cover month for the 1990 -1994 Aus Price Variant. I hope you look at the last two listing.

I did nesqrick, yes. I looked at both the Thor and Silver Surfer number ranges you posted to see if any issues existed for them for dates outside of the known ASM number range I posted. There weren't any, alas. So at present we assume the ASM list is accurate. I see both Thor and Surfer started with Nov 90, so it's likely ASM 341 is the first AUS copy. There were more ASM dates than Thor / Surfer though, so I assume there are more of them for you to collect (mostly in the 1996 number ranges).

Keep the lists coming :headbang:

19 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

You'll be able to count our numbers on one hand soon kalvin! :headbang:

Ah, good choice :cloud9:

5aae681161130_SpideyWindow.gif.f4d31d911403b4dc037fc355297b3b47.gif

I have to say, the main reason I went after the ASM books was because I was a Spidey completist so, of course, I had to have them. It was easily the hardest run of books I ever put together and I like to think I led the way in determining what existed / exists for that title. Hardly anyone else seemed to care too much apart from me and the friend I eventually sold them to.

Being in the UK, collecting them was doubly hard. Ebay.au was about it, and I spent many many hours scouring those pages over a 2-3 year period. I dug out my old records (any excuse!) and can see that they lot cost me £260 to collect (excluded postage). Not bad really.

As far as documenting them went I started off in word:

1.thumb.PNG.eb5120c774e8a0b0b09ca399489b9a5d.PNG

2.PNG.2c6b6e2b29f6adf5c35d0a6a0de57317.PNG

....and then moved on to excel:

3.thumb.PNG.443dc92c8f8196155845a5bcb5c12d62.PNG

In the end, I managed what I believe to be the full set of these 53 books and one annual:

aus1.PNG.e8ee009f6405f27b8b03fbd9193a5664.PNG

They looked quite nice as a group I have to say - here they are hiding among their other Spidey variant cousins:

4.thumb.PNG.ecf2a03b9ebee81f91577612df9e21d4.PNG

I remember one time when I ordered some newsstand books from the US. When the package came, one of the books was not only an AUS copy, but a copy that, at the time, no one knew existed! What are the chances.

I had great fun putting them together and I hope you do too kalvin. If you ever find an ASM book that's not on the list, do come and let us know. I may no longer collect them but they still really interest me. You're up against @nesqrick2 though, and he has proven himself to be the AUS King. 

So good luck! (thumbsu

What a journey! Appreciate you sharing your discoveries and the stuff you'd learnt along the way. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for all now - see if I can complete a set down as well. Cheers mate.

17 hours ago, nesqrick2 said:

AUS Variants

img467.jpg

Some nice ones there Nes :)

Not sure if I already mentioned it, but there's a lot of AUS chat here, especially in the comments sections:

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2017/05/17/aus-price-variants-australian-newsstand-editions/#comments

Nice to see more people getting into these 

10 hours ago, nesqrick2 said:

People are starting to see,  New Mutants 98 Variant $1.50 CGC 7.5 AUS COVER PRICE Australian Newsstand went for on ebay  $898.00

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132573003693?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Indeed. It's a nicely put together listing isn't it.

I don't agree with 'Australian Edition' though, in the same way I disagree that 'UK Edition' is the right terminology. But the fact that CGC are recognising them at all is a start I suppose. The worlds does indeed exist outside of the USA!

aus.thumb.PNG.a0a0750400ab32868f12a61521acb474.PNG

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Indeed. It's a nicely put together listing isn't it.

I don't agree with 'Australian Edition' though, in the same way I disagree that 'UK Edition' is the right terminology. But the fact that CGC are recognising them at all is a start I suppose. The worlds does indeed exist outside of the USA!

I've seen those types of listings several times, they usually have either AUS or Newsstand, and it at least is somewhat informative, maybe it will at least get the information out there!

I also finally did one of my searches for X-men 100 last night on the app to see if there were any 30 cent ones that went unnoticed. (long shot lol ) I did see a 10p one that the seller just said, "X-men 100 from Great Britain?" It even had the question mark in the listing, which made me chuckle. I thought about buying it due to it looking in decent shape, and in better shape and cheaper than another 10p that was graded as F, raw from another seller. The "?" seller said they didn't "grade comics", but it was tempting (thumbsu 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM