• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Australian Price Variants
7 7

648 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, redsox1946 said:

So not a new title or anything just a nice find in local comic shop in Tennessee and wanted to share.  Found a Barbie #1 APV.  Go figure.  I rarely if ever find one in the wild and just pick things off ebay from time to time.  So pretty cool. (Sadly/ would have never looked at Barbie comics but with price variants.... fun search!)

Cool. I've only got 5 APV's and they're all Barbies! Post a picture if you can redsox . Always nice to see a Barbie. 

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Cool. I've only got 5 APV's and they're all Barbies! Post a picture if you can redsox . Always nice to see a Barbie. 

Happy Birthday!!!

Screenshot_20200131-174611_Samsung Internet.jpg

I started collecting comic books in 1987

Due to the Australian dollar priced around 65c to the U.S dollar comic books at news stands and comic shops were priced at double the U.S cover price.

So comics cost $1.50 each as U.S cover price was 75c

When the U.S cover price jumped to $1 comics in Australia were $2 each.

Then the Australian dollar hit over 85c to the green back and the price went down at the news stands and the comic shops with their direct copies.

It was this time marvel started to publish the news stands books for the Australian market with an Australian cover price.

And that's how the  Marvel Australian cover price variants started.

Comic shops still received the direct editions

So only news stands copies that were bought and saved by collectors make these books rare.

Unlike pence copies there are not as many.

Remember Australia in the late 80s only had a population of 18 million. So less potential market to sell to compared to countries like Britain and the United States.

Also a lot of collectors bought the direct editions from comic shops and not the news stand Australian cover price variants due to the two to three month lag.

Screenshot_20200204-162849.thumb.png.d9241014d3d9bc7a6fbacee814ea8dcb.png

2 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

@Get Marwood & I, your devotion to the hobby is incredible.  My hat goes off to you and the others who have been contributing to research like this.  

:)

Morning :)

A rare update. Conan the Barbarian is now complete, courtesy of the missing three issues showing up today on the bay:

Lot2.thumb.jpg.54333e7a9fbe6819ecae46d11fb466ec.jpg

conan.thumb.PNG.cac83ffe72ea233af560a3ec75a7c084.PNG

Lovely :)

conan.gif.c59a2dd9dd60ff71292b0cb0ffbe0968.gif

10 minutes ago, vaillant said:

This discussion is just about the price variants, right – not the Australian editions like Yaffa or Federal

Yup :)

10 minutes ago, vaillant said:

The Yaffa editions fascinate me, in their occasional "poorness"…

Start a thread....

37 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yup :)

Start a thread....

They’re mostly a curiosity for me, I do not collect foreign editions in general. As an italian I started to collect the US originals in 1990 and never came back.
I just ordered the australian Omega the Unknown, though, as I love the fact they published the story in black and white, so when I’ll re-read the first episodes that will be… :)

26 minutes ago, vaillant said:

They’re mostly a curiosity for me, I do not collect foreign editions in general. As an italian I started to collect the US originals in 1990 and never came back.
I just ordered the australian Omega the Unknown, though, as I love the fact they published the story in black and white, so when I’ll re-read the first episodes that will be… :)

I like the look of them too - I like the look of all foreign reprints to be honest. Many have a crude charm about them. The Yaffa's are quite like the Alan Class UK reprints. Black and white and clumsy. If you have some to show you could post them here:

I'll give them a like if you do (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I like the look of them too - I like the look of all foreign reprints to be honest. Many have a crude charm about them. The Yaffa's are quite like the Alan Class UK reprints. Black and white and clumsy. If you have some to show you could post them here:

I'll give them a like if you do (thumbsu

Ahh… Matthew – the starter of everything, LOL! :D

16 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I like the look of them too - I like the look of all foreign reprints to be honest. Many have a crude charm about them. The Yaffa's are quite like the Alan Class UK reprints. Black and white and clumsy.

I know the managing editor at Yaffa quite well these days. I asked her if there were any file copies or old comics around the offices - alas, no, they are all long gone.

:gossip: This is where you say "cool story bro".