• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

At what %'s are submitters doing well pre-screening their books?

10 posts in this topic

When anyone submits we are looking to send books that will receive the best possible grade. Now there are exceptions when it comes to GA and high value keys which are arguably good to get slabbed at any grade. But when is comes to moderns, mid levels keys, etc., most submitters are attempting to send in the best possible books. If you are doing a good job with your personal pre-screening, about what percentage of books do you expect to come back 9.8?, 9.6? etc.

Just sent in five copies thinking I was 9.8 on all them. I received back 4 x 9.8 and 1 x 9.6.

I think it is easier to pick out a 9.6 / 9.8 than it is to determine what a 5.5 is.

Not bad.

Definetely interested in this topic myself but didn't get a big response when I asked it awhile ago. I hit about 45% (9.8s) on my last 80 book submission. I was hoping for about 60% personally (which was my previous percentage before CGC got more strict).

I've submitted 45 moderns since my first submission in May of 2016 and out of those I had 3 come back 9.6's when I thought they would be 9.8's. But between the time I submitted the books and got them back I had learned a ton so when I got them back I was disappointed but could see why. I had a GA Sups #9 that I thought would get a 6.5 but it only came back a 6.0 which was disappointing, but not shocking by any means. I have several dozen SA's getting graded now so it will be interesting to gauge my judgement. So far I've never had a book pre-screened but these next few batches will determine whether or not I consider pre-screening in the future.

I have to admit my expectations are partially tied to how much I have into the book. I am just a long time collector not a comic professional. I have submitted maybe 60 ever. Many of the ones I have been submitting lately are books I bought off the shelf at cover, and am now considering selling. So partially by starting this thread I want to see where my skills are right now. I have submitted a total of 35 books this year that have been graded. 14 came back as 9.8, 11 came back as 9.6. The rest all came back as at least 9 plus. About 4 of those I was disappointed in the grade, and the remaining 6 came back as expected or even higher (meaning I did not expect a 9.6 or higher). So if I do decide to sell, these are books that I only have $15 to $20 into including grading. So all is good.

Thanks for replying to this thread, and please keep it going. It is nice to try and gauge where the average submitter is in relation to where CGC is. At this point I can pick out a 9.6/9.8 fairly easily, but there are occasional books where I am way off. But it seems 95% of the time I am on grade or one off at least with moderns and/or nice books. I have a few GA books in right now so I will see how close I am on those.

Just sent in five copies thinking I was 9.8 on all them. I received back 4 x 9.8 and 1 x 9.6.

I think it is easier to pick out a 9.6 / 9.8 than it is to determine what a 5.5 is.

Not bad.

Yep. On any given day there are countless combinations of defects that could lead to a 5.5, but very few that would lead to a 9.6/9.8