• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC, The Only Slabbing Service Allowed Within The Walls Of C2E2/ECCC Until 2020

283 posts in this topic

Basic business practice.

Smart on the part of CGC.

Nothing else to say.

Moving along...

:)

Maybe but still bad for the consumers [us] so why would that make you happy?

How is it bad for you? You can send all the books you like to CBCS via the mail. When you walk in McDonald's and they only have coke, nobody says, well jeez, can't eat here, I must have a choice!

As for CBCS going and making an attempt to buy exclusive access to set up at a show two problems:

1) if it's a small show, it has to be one that CGC is doing and they've gained an advantage -- and you have to crunch the economics of whether they will take in enough submissions at said show to justify the cost. They may not.

2) At a larger show to directly compete to convince the show promoter to shut out CGC may be tough. By offering on site grading, they are giving the show promoter something that's unique and raises the cache of the show. CBCS doesn't have anything to offer other than money, which CGC could easily match or outspend. I wouldn't get into the trap for CBCS, I'd simply go about business as usual.

I have a somewhat different take on this.

CGC does on-site grading at WW Chicago, for instance.

Let's say CBCS wants a piece of the action as well, and elects to do it next year.

All things being equal, your average customer recognizes the CGC brand and will go there first.

However, a hoard of submitting dealers basically cuts off the on-site subs at mid-day on Thursday. CGC knows they'll be busy until Sunday with what they've already taken in and can't possibly take in more.

But CBCS is sitting there as the only remaining option for those that want onsite and to have their books back that weekend, and that demand might be strong enough for people cut off from submitting with CGC (customers who have already brought their books with them) to use a competing service. CGC doesn't want their customers even contemplating using their competition, so they sign an exclusive rights contract so it's not even a concern.

Without the other onsite option, most people will stick with submitting with CGC and getting it back whenever they get it back.

It's pretty ruthless and cut-throat, but it's nothing new or surprising.

Nevermind...CBCS won't even be in the building the way that press-release is worded....guess my theory is just that.

Basic business practice.

Nothing else to say.

Moving along...

How is it bad for you? You can send all the books you like to CBCS via the mail. When you walk in McDonald's and they only have coke, nobody says, well jeez, can't eat here, I must have a choice!

As for CBCS going and making an attempt to buy exclusive access to set up at a show two problems:

1) if it's a small show, it has to be one that CGC is doing and they've gained an advantage -- and you have to crunch the economics of whether they will take in enough submissions at said show to justify the cost. They may not.

2) At a larger show to directly compete to convince the show promoter to shut out CGC may be tough. By offering on site grading, they are giving the show promoter something that's unique and raises the cache of the show. CBCS doesn't have anything to offer other than money, which CGC could easily match or outspend. I wouldn't get into the trap for CBCS, I'd simply go about business as usual.

Brian I buy products and use both companies but if I was on site I would like to have to option to use both, maybe meet the people behind the scenes too. I would always prefer to have a choice rather than have someone try to dictate that choice to me.

Basic business practice.

Nothing else to say.

Moving along...

Brian I buy products and use both companies but if I was on site I would like to have to option to use both, maybe meet the people behind the scenes too. I would always prefer to have a choice rather than have someone try to dictate that choice to me.

It's a moot point since at this time it doesn't look like CBCS has the resources yet to do onsite unless it's local (take home and bring back to show).

Maybe that will change by the time the contract is over.

Forgive me if I missed this earlier, but does this mean CBCS just can't have onsite grading at the show? Or that they can't set up and take submissions?

I haven't read everything either, but I'm pretty sure its just on-site grading. It seems as though other companies will be allowed to set up booths to take submissions.

Forgive me if I missed this earlier, but does this mean CBCS just can't have onsite grading at the show? Or that they can't set up and take submissions?

Steve Paulus

16 hrs

The big news today is that Reed Pop and CGC have created a partnership and are excluding CBCS from having a booth at C2E2 and ECCC.

There is more to the quote but I won't post the rest as it will get wiped.

Wait until Tampa signs on as the exclusive grading company of Wizard World. Not the on site exclusive, but THE exclusive. Nothing personal. Just business.

Make 9.5 Great Again!

We're gonna build a yuge, beautiful inner well and make CBCS pay for it!

:signfunny:

Will they slab any comic or only certain eras or price points?

I'm hoping for golden age.

I believe they'll slab anything when they do onsite grading.

No magazines on-site. As far as books that are thick like fireside books, etc...I am not sure. Would be worth asking before lugging the books to the show.

Makes sense. In the back of my mind, I was thinking they didn't do magazines onsite.

Do they do Golden Age?

Basic business practice.

Nothing else to say.

Moving along...

The problem is one company is capable of onsite and the other isn't. It's unlikely any show will ever entertain having both companies do onsite for space considerations.

Basic business practice.

Nothing else to say.

Moving along...

Up until this point, having another viable third-party grader was good for the community.

The sentiment was almost unanimous on these boards and everywhere where comics are discussed that a viable competitor entering into the ring was good for the hobby.

Now, Comic Wreckers and Popweed push out the competition and it's just business.

And please stop using this beverage war example - it shouldn't even remotely be used in the same discussion.

On-site grading's greatest selling point is CONVENIENCE. Worry warts who don't want to mail their stuff, and people who want instant gratification build their submission piles probably months or a full calendar year ahead anticipating being able to pick up their books at the end of the show.

To take away one of the two choices is unwise, is almost guaranteed to backfire, and is not anything resembling competition.

It's a misguided, desperate throwback attempt to return to the monopoly they once held, and screams of a company scared out of their wits that CBCS's market share keeps growing.

Basic business practice.

Nothing else to say.

Moving along...

Up until this point, having another viable third-party grader was good for the community.

The sentiment was almost unanimous on these boards and everywhere where comics are discussed that a viable competitor entering into the ring was good for the hobby.

Now, Comic Wreckers and Popweed push out the competition and it's just business.

And please stop using this beverage war example - it shouldn't even remotely be used in the same discussion.

On-site grading's greatest selling point is CONVENIENCE. Worry warts who don't want to mail their stuff, and people who want instant gratification build their submission piles probably months or a full calendar year ahead anticipating being able to pick up their books at the end of the show.

To take away one of the two choices is unwise, is almost guaranteed to backfire, and is not anything resembling competition.

It's a misguided, desperate throwback attempt to return to the monopoly they once held, and screams of a company scared out of their wits that CBCS's market share keeps growing.

Totally disagree -- why shouldn't beverage war be used? It's two products or services. It's a competitive advantage and if someone wants to pay or negotiate a deal that gives them exclusivity is fine.

Taking away one always backfires? For who? Under what example? How is this going to negatively impact anything?

Basic business practice.

Nothing else to say.

Moving along...

The problem is one company is capable of onsite and the other isn't. It's unlikely any show will ever entertain having both companies do onsite for space considerations.

A conference center that can't accomodate multiple grading room areas shouldn't be allowed to hold a comic-con. Period.

Basic business practice.

Nothing else to say.

Moving along...

A conference center that can't accomodate multiple grading room areas shouldn't be allowed to hold a comic-con. Period.

Then you're showing your ignorance.