• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC, The Only Slabbing Service Allowed Within The Walls Of C2E2/ECCC Until 2020

283 posts in this topic

Anybody else besides me decide to CALL Reed and ask them about it? Per the CSR I spoke with, at those two shows the exclusivity deal pertains to onsite grading only. They welcome all booths. Feel free to give them a ring if you'd like, but they are closed for today. 1.203.840.4800

I would not expect the first person you get when inquiring about booth purchases is privy to these kind of deals.

Likely Reed general answer

"Sure, a booth selling honey and incense sounds great! I think you will do gangbusters! Can I get your credit card info to reserve your space?"

No, that's why the first person transferred me to the person dealing with CSR for C2E2.

Well, we can't be sure until you call back and ask about the honey hm

Anybody else besides me decide to CALL Reed and ask them about it? Per the CSR I spoke with, at those two shows the exclusivity deal pertains to onsite grading only. They welcome all booths. Feel free to give them a ring if you'd like, but they are closed for today. 1.203.840.4800

I would not expect the first person you get when inquiring about booth purchases is privy to these kind of deals.

Likely Reed general answer

"Sure, a booth selling honey and incense sounds great! I think you will do gangbusters! Can I get your credit card info to reserve your space?"

Go to ReedPop's Facebook page and browse through this topic (it is at or near the top). Your browsing will reveal that, according to ReedPop, only one vendor will be allowed an official presence- CGC. This is not only for on-site grading but even for an informational booth. No other TPG besides CGC will be allowed to have any form of booth there. So that "on-site grading only" is just misinformation.

Again, this is no different from any other exclusivity deal anywhere in the world. Nuveen Investments is the exclusive money management firm of the Chicago Cubs. In your scenario, Nuveen should want Fidelity to advertise as well.

Ugh, this one's way, way, way worse than CGC exclusivity at cons. CGC or other company's exclusivity is an annoyance at worst. This, however, can be genuinely harmful to one's financial health.

I wonder how much better off the players would be if they just invested in target-date or risk-based mutual funds invested in low expense ratio (~5-20 basis points) index funds. I know there are plenty of folks stuck with awful 401k plans with high expense ratios. Good for the investment managers and brokers. Not necessarily for the worker saving for retirement. Hopefully, the new DOL fiduciary rule would help change that or at least help mitigate the effects.

I don't know that the name brand of the clothing manufacturer will make or break a fans decision to buy a jersey. What would however is walking into a fan show with your jersey in hand, standing in line, and finding out when you arrive at the table that the athelete won't sign your jersey unless it's the name brand he's aligned with under his "new" endorsement contract.

Never happens right?

No, and it's because it's too stupid to even imagine treating fans that way.

Somehow, it's happening with C2E2, and it's Popweeds prerogative to run their show to the ground, but don't think that fans are going to be happy being turned away because a contract forces it's hand on people's ability to enjoy fan culture.

Happens all the time. Bryce Harper - just as an example -will only sign Under Armor items. He's nice about it - and will sign for anything for kids - but at signing events, only Under Armor.

Not that it matters as this conversation has already veered way off-course with fan culture getting the business, but that wasn't the comparison I was using in the context of switching a brand as Chris brought up at the retail level. I was referring to a situation of an athlete signing a "new" endorsement deal, and refusing to sign memorabilia bearing an old brand label. So bringing a past issued CCM - Ovechkin labeled stick to a game or fan show to have Ovechkin sign it - him refusing to sign it because he's now with Bauer - that's what I meant by never happening.

Again, this is no different from any other exclusivity deal anywhere in the world. Nuveen Investments is the exclusive money management firm of the Chicago Cubs. In your scenario, Nuveen should want Fidelity to advertise as well.

Ugh, this one's way, way, way worse than CGC exclusivity at cons. CGC or other company's exclusivity is an annoyance at worst. This, however, can be genuinely harmful to one's financial health.

I wonder how much better off the players would be if they just invested in target-date or risk-based mutual funds invested in low expense ratio (~5-20 basis points) index funds. I know there are plenty of folks stuck with awful 401k plans with high expense ratios. Good for the investment managers and brokers. Not necessarily for the worker saving for retirement. Hopefully, the new DOL fiduciary rule would help change that or at least help mitigate the effects.

The worker saving for retirement should park his/her money into an indexed year fund from a reputable firm that charges very low fees (shop around), start with the amount you need to get any match from your firm if possible, increase your contribution rate by 1% every year until you max out, and leave it alone until retirement. Don't mess around with your retirement money. You've got a long horizon.

It might be different though. Look I don't know what to believe at this point. Phone CSR says they can appear just can't do grading. Online says they cant. The language isn't clear etc.

Here's where it can be different FD. If CGC is using DMP (dominant market position) to compel Reed pop to make this deal. If that happened then it could be an anti trust violation. I've dealt with this fun in my practice way more than I'd like. (Root canal with no Novocaine is more fun then EU antitrust). From the get go I thought it was weird they made a deal for C2E2 and ECCC and conspicuously omitted NYCC (the second largest con in the country and Reed pops crown jewel). Part of me is starting to wonder if it was on purpose, to keep the deal out of Schneiderman's jurisdiction (as he has been known to go after these kinds of deals before)

The worker saving for retirement should park his/her money into an indexed year fund from a reputable firm that charges very low fees (shop around), start with the amount you need to get any match from your firm if possible, increase your contribution rate by 1% every year until you max out, and leave it alone until retirement. Don't mess around with your retirement money. You've got a long horizon.

I agree that's why I've got the bulk of my 401k and IRA money in Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 (VFORX, ER 0.13%: invests in Total US Stock Index, Total Int'l Stock Index, Total US Bond Index and Total Int'l Bond Index). It's not available on our core plan (ER on core funds is around 0.5%) but we do have a DIY brokerage option available so that's how I buy VFORX for the 401k. And honestly, if not for Vanguard's low expense ratios, I wonder if we'd have all these low-cost index funds and ETFs from various fund families.

Not everyone with a 401k plan has the same options and you can't really shop around for your own 401k. The company does the shopping around and what the company chooses may not be in the employees' best interests. I've seen 401k plans where fund ER ranged from 1-2%. An employee may be stuck with whatever the company provides until they leave and can do a rollover.

Sure, it's just business. Investment managers and brokers need to be able to pay for their kids' Ivy League tuition somehow. However, perhaps you can see why limiting choice might not be in the consumer/customer's best interest even if does happen to be a good business decision for those who sign the exclusivity contract.

I love how all the CBCS fanatics are falling all over themselves and screaming about how “unfair” it is and how they should boycott this and protest that like a bunch of crybabies…yet if the almighty upstart CBCS had inked that deal with ReedPop all of those same people would be exactly like “OMG! CBCS is sooooooooo business savy! Those bitter CGC guys are just crying because CBCS is better! CBCS made a business move and CGC is pouting! Wow, Borock is the coolest! CBCS RULEZ! Look out! They are gonna TAKE OVER!”

You know what? CGC and ReedPop made the deal that apparently CBCS was either not willing to do or simply couldn't pull the cash and/or resources to do (probably the likeliest reason of them all) ...or just maybe ReedPop simply preferred CGC to CBCS

Bottom line? Tough luck CBCS. Get a helmet. It's business simple as that...and many of the CBCS kool-aid slurpers are quick to spout off on that very fact when it favors them and their precious CBCS and then stomp their feet and whine about fairness and inequality when it doesn't.

From a business standpoint CGC simply beat them to the punch plain and simple.

Dont wanna go to C2E2 based on this (like what some are already chest-pounding and proclaiming on C2E2s Facebook page)? Stay the hell home. Problem Solved. The whiners likely wont be missed anyway. If this is the only reason you are hauling your carcass to C2E2 then sit home and just Netflix and Whine, hug your Steve Borock Body Pillow, and have a good cry...maybe make yourself feel better by watching V for Vendetta a few times and pretend to storm the big bad CGC fortress wearing your CBCS t-shirt like a brave and justified little revolutionary.

Truth be told I own books from both companies and have since the beginning and I think all of this makes the CBCS groupies look like a bunch of hypocrites and sore losers. You can't preach the glory of Capitalism and competition and then throw a fit when it inevitably bites you on the rear when your brand doesn't make the cut.

I don't think anyone has made the argument that CGC invented exclusive agreements. The argument is that they aren't good for consumers.

Sports venues and airlines aren't known to be great deals or terribly concerned with customer service so I don't know how this hurts our argument in any way.

Yes, more industries than comic conventions have deals for consumers.

To carry the idea even further, you know that only CGC is at the convention, just as you know that Bryce Harper only signs Under Armor items.

I guarantee there are plenty of sports and comic fans that are unaware of both and are disappointed when they discover it at the wrong time. People on this forum would make up a tiny fraction of people actually attending the convention.

The competition is young and as has been mentioned, on site grading is kind of a new thing that doesn't take place everywhere. It's unlikely that someone is going to show up with the intention of having a bunch of comics graded on site by the competition. But here's the thing. Both companies will be staking out their territories very quickly now. In a couple years plenty of people wanting on site grading from one company or another will not be getting what they want at the conventions they typically attend. Some of these people can't simply book a flight and take time off work to attend a convention half way across the country, so if the one in their city is exclusive with the company they prefer to not do business with, tough luck, no on site grading for you, ever.

Is it all a part of business? Sure. Does it suck? Yes. Nobody claimed CGC invented the practice. They're just acknowledging it's an unfortunate development. The people acting like everything is okay because they don't use on site grading, or because they prefer CGC, are failing to see the bigger picture.

Just wait until your favorite dealer doesn't come to your state anymore because Chuck is the exclusive retailer at the big convention. Or just wait until you can't get a booth anymore for the same reason. How many dealers do you think have the kind of pull to make that kind of deal? Chuck can bring a couple trucks with 53 foot trailers stocked to the ceiling and set up ten booths no problem. It's very likely if there does become exclusive retailers, he's going to be one of them.

For the CGC fans, what if the competition wins this little battle and in 5 or 6 years you can only get on site grading through them at any convention nationwide? I bet attitudes will change then.

I love how all the CBCS fanatics are falling all over themselves and screaming about how “unfair” it is and how they should boycott this and protest that like a bunch of crybabies…yet if the almighty upstart CBCS had inked that deal with ReedPop all of those same people would be exactly like “OMG! CBCS is sooooooooo business savy! Those bitter CGC guys are just crying because CBCS is better! CBCS made a business move and CGC is pouting! Wow, Borock is the coolest! CBCS RULEZ! Look out! They are gonna TAKE OVER!”

Umm, nope. CBCS getting the exclusive is bad, too. I don't know why you assume everyone who speaks against the deal must be pro-CBCS. It's the anti-competitive practice that I dislike, not CGC itself.

I don't like the effective monopoly of cable internet in my area either but can you do? (shrug)

I think it was just Pete Carbonara who called CGC a bully. I don't recall seeing anyone on this thread concurring. I don't think CGC is out to bully anyone. For them, it's just a sound business decision. However, if other event organizers follow suit so that every convention has an exclusivity deal with either CGC, CBCS or, heck, even PGX, I think that would totally suck.

You know what? CGC and ReedPop made the deal that apparently CBCS was either not willing to do or simply couldn't pull the cash and/or resources to do (probably the likeliest reason of them all) ...or just maybe ReedPop simply preferred CGC to CBCS

Bottom line? Tough luck CBCS. Get a helmet. It's business simple as that...and many of the CBCS kool-aid slurpers are quick to spout off on that very fact when it favors them and their precious CBCS and then stomp their feet and whine about fairness and inequality when it doesn't.

From a business standpoint CGC simply beat them to the punch plain and simple.

Dont wanna go to C2E2 based on this (like what some are already chest-pounding and proclaiming on C2E2s Facebook page)? Stay the hell home. Problem Solved. The whiners likely wont be missed anyway. If this is the only reason you are hauling your carcass to C2E2 then sit home and just Netflix and Whine, hug your Steve Borock Body Pillow, and have a good cry...maybe make yourself feel better by watching V for Vendetta a few times and pretend to storm the big bad CGC fortress wearing your CBCS t-shirt like a brave and justified little revolutionary.

Truth be told I own books from both companies and have since the beginning and I think all of this makes the CBCS groupies look like a bunch of hypocrites and sore losers. You can't preach the glory of Capitalism and competition and then throw a fit when it inevitably bites you on the rear when your brand doesn't make the cut.

Do a little research before you make false accusations. This has been published by CBCS' manager: "CBCS has been offered exclusive access to several shows since we've opened, but we've turned it down every time because we feel it hurts the hobby." What part of that do you not understand?

All you are doing is blowing out some party lines about chest thumping and crybabies and a handful of other platitudes. It is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about and what their policy actually is. You just think if you can word something strongly and insult people they will lay down before your seeming wisdom. Wrong place for that.