• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC, The Only Slabbing Service Allowed Within The Walls Of C2E2/ECCC Until 2020

283 posts in this topic

I don't like the mds and coke analogy cause it doesn't fit the model.

Walmart wants all the customers possible so they offer as many choices that make sense for them without being too exclusive.

Coke

Pepsi

Cola

No name

Etc

Comparing a con to a single restaurant really is apples and oranges. The main draw of a con is variety. Your comparison is much more relevant. How many of us would go to a grocery store that only had one brand of every product?

I'm guessing if we were talking about comic dealers people wouldn't have the same support for this type of thing. Imagine if one large dealer bought all the booths?

Do people really submit to both companies, at the same show, simultaneously?

I am trying to find a logical reason for that. I thought that most people chose one or the other anyway.

Depends on the book. Seriously.

Good point. How much business would CGC really lose if there was another grader at a con?

Enough that they thought there was value in eliminating the competition.

They might even be taking a loss on the deal now, but their intent is to eliminate the competition completely. Shut their doors. Become the only game in town. It's not so they can provide a better service, product, and value to their customers. It's because they don't want to have to compete on service, product, and value with a competitor. It's cheaper to be the only option than it is to get in a value war with the competition. Which is why energy companies and cable service providers spend so much on litigation and lobbyists when they could just lower their prices and make their customers happy

Good point. How much business would CGC really lose if there was another grader at a con?

They might even be taking a loss on the deal now, but their intent is to eliminate the competition completely. Shut their doors. Become the only game in town. It's not so they can provide a better service, product, and value to their customers. It's because they don't want to have to compete on service, product, and value with a competitor. It's cheaper to be the only option than it is to get in a value war with the competition. Which is why energy companies and cable service providers spend so much on litigation and lobbyists when they could just lower their prices and make their customers happy

If CBCS is vulnerable enough to be put out of business by this tiny, insignificant in the grand scheme, exclusivity deals... they have a lot more to worry about than losing onsite grading at a couple of shows.

If CBCS is vulnerable enough to be put out of business by this tiny, insignificant in the grand scheme, exclusivity deals... they have a lot more to worry about than losing onsite grading at a couple of shows.

This isn't the first or last hardball move CGC has or will make against them. They can't be put out of business with a single act, except possibly litigation, which I'm sure CGC has already attempted. But several moves like this over the course of several years against a smaller, less established company that might still be in the red with startup costs, it's doable. I don't think CGC is doing this just to waste their time.

I would rather see CGC succeed by providing superior customer service than to pay to have their competition turned away at shows. Not only do collectors lose the opportunity to make a choice in who grades their books at a show but they will ultimately pay more for grading when CGC increases their fees to pass through the cost of whatever they are paying the show organizers for exclusivity.

I don't like the mds and coke analogy cause it doesn't fit the model.

Walmart wants all the customers possible so they offer as many choices that make sense for them without being too exclusive.

Coke

Pepsi

Cola

No name

Etc

Comparing a con to a single restaurant really is apples and oranges. The main draw of a con is variety. Your comparison is much more relevant. How many of us would go to a grocery store that only had one brand of every product?

I'm guessing if we were talking about comic dealers people wouldn't have the same support for this type of thing. Imagine if one large dealer bought all the booths?

Do people really submit to both companies, at the same show, simultaneously?

I am trying to find a logical reason for that. I thought that most people chose one or the other anyway.

Two reasons I can think of:

Let's say that CGC has Robert Kirkman signing at their booth but the competition has Greg Capullo signing at their booth. If someone has books for both Kirkman and Capullo they would end up using both companies if they wanted them all signed and witnessed.

Also, CGC is the only company that can handle magazines. If someone was using another company they would still come to CGC if they had a TMNT, Vampirella, etc.

There's a few of things to consider here.

1st CBCS does not do onsite grading at nearly as many shows as CGC does. CGC has been doing 3+ shows a year for some time now (NYC in 2009, Megacon and WW Chicago for several years now and Baltimore the last couple of years). If I'm not mistaken, CBCS has only done onsite locally so far in the Tampa / Orlando area.

2nd, if CBCS has not intended to set up with onsite grading at C2E2 or ECCC then the conversation is a non-started as nothing would change except that CGC has decided to do onsite grading at more shows.

3rd, there are other shows. A zillion every weekend in fact.

4th, it sounds like this is limited only to onsite grading and not set up at booths. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I can read, CBCS will still be able to set up at those shows.

My personal opinion? I'm actually not a fan of corporate exclusivity or ruthless capitalism. It irks me to no end if I want a Coca Cola product but am forced to use Pepsi like at the Rogers Center (as Mrs. Donut possibly found out on her trip to Toronto a few years ago :banana: ) simply because Pepsi got exclusivity agreement.

And yes, this is actually a thing because I like Coke and Louse like Pepsi. :sumo:

I'm personally a fan of benevolent capitalism where better prices and better service do the talking. I like being given the choice to choose.

But as I stated, even though it's not my preferential way for doing business, CGC has done nothing wrong.

I wonder if there would be the same "uproar" if CBCS had done this? I think their fanboys would applaud such a "smart business move".

CBCS was very quick to very publicly jump on CGC's earlier misfortunes (and granted CGC did NOT help themselves) so that they could benefit. Anyone who thinks it was 'purely' for 'love of the hobby' is also drinking the Kool-Aid.

CBCS came onto the scene so now there is competition so CGC is trying to further distinguish itself from the rest and develop and promote their brand . As discussed in the thread many times over, exclusivity deals are nothing new.

At the end of the day it is just business, pure and simple and there is nothing preventing CBCS from inking a similar deal or using some other marketing tactic. I just don't see this as that big of a deal (shrug)

For whatever reason comic book collectors are emotional about everything to do with comics. No other hobby seems to be charged the same way.

If you think I'm joking or exaggerating all you have to do is go back and read the uproar on this chat forum about a decade ago when the software was changed. People were threatening to leave and never come back.

What was the most enlightening was that it was hardly a blip in the Coin and Paper money forums. It was only comics that was in an uproar.

It's really not that big of a deal but people have their allegiances, their alliances and their routines.

1st CBCS does not do onsite grading at nearly as many shows as CGC does. CGC has been doing 3+ shows a year for some time now (NYC in 2009, Megacon and WW Chicago for several years now and Baltimore the last couple of years). If I'm not mistaken, CBCS has only done onsite locally so far in the Tampa / Orlando area.

Uh, one correction... CBCS did had their booth set up in Fan Expo Vancouver last weekend recently. :shy:

CGC Should not worry. Their new case and label are far superior to the competition. I just worked RI Comic Con for Stan Lee and the amount of submissions we got for CGC vs the other guys were HEAVILY in CGC's favor.

No matter what people are saying on-line in reality the people obviously choose CGC because it is a way better product.

And yes they did screw up with the no inner well case earlier this year** had they not fixed it I would not be saying this.

I wonder if there would be the same "uproar" if CBCS had done this? I think their fanboys would applaud such a "smart business move".

CBCS was very quick to very publicly jump on CGC's earlier misfortunes (and granted CGC did NOT help themselves) so that they could benefit. Anyone who thinks it was 'purely' for 'love of the hobby' is also drinking the Kool-Aid.

CBCS came onto the scene so now there is competition so CGC is trying to further distinguish itself from the rest and develop and promote their brand . As discussed in the thread many times over, exclusivity deals are nothing new.

At the end of the day it is just business, pure and simple and there is nothing preventing CBCS from inking a similar deal or using some other marketing tactic. I just don't see this as that big of a deal (shrug)

:winnah:

Wait until Tampa signs on as the exclusive grading company of Wizard World. Not the on site exclusive, but THE exclusive. Nothing personal. Just business.

Make 9.5 Great Again!

We're gonna build a yuge, beautiful inner well and make CBCS pay for it!