• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Universal Paypal conversion change for all currencies outside of the US

78 posts in this topic

Based on what I read above, I refunded the buyer his payment.

I then sent the buyer an invoice this time (as opposed to the buyer paying me directly). The invoice was for USD funds. I have my primary currency set to USD. The buyer paid and the payment was just deposited as USD in my PayPal balance.

:)

The only thing though, is that it looks like they charged me around 3.8% for the transaction as opposed to what I thought it was supposed to be...2.9%? Whatever though. With all the problems I am not going to quibble at an extra % point.

There is so much conflicting information though I get the sense that PayPal doesn't even know what is up?

International transactions are charged at the 3.9% for USA sellers receiving money from international customers. We are charged 2.9% for US transactions only

I then sent the buyer an invoice this time (as opposed to the buyer paying me directly). The invoice was for USD funds. I have my primary currency set to USD. The buyer paid and the payment was just deposited as USD in my PayPal balance.

The only thing though, is that it looks like they charged me around 3.8% for the transaction as opposed to what I thought it was supposed to be...2.9%? Whatever though. With all the problems I am not going to quibble at an extra % point.

There is so much conflicting information though I get the sense that PayPal doesn't even know what is up?

International transactions are charged at the 3.9% for USA sellers receiving money from international customers. We are charged 2.9% for US transactions only

Good to know thanks - Probably always been case for me just never bothered to look that closely?

Regardless sending invoice in USD worked for me...

Good to know thanks - Probably always been case for me just never bothered to look that closely?

Regardless sending invoice in USD worked for me...

Yes, the payment fees for cross-border transactions were clearly stated for years in the rules.

What is new is this forced conversion to your native currency when you are outside of eBay (through eBay it does not happen).

Sending the invoices seems the way to go – I am irritated by their behavior, anyway.

They made things clumsier and less clear, instead of simplifying, and they manage to suck you money without your full awareness.

That alone is dishonest.

Maybe they finally stopped waiving the cross border fees that we have been enjoying for a long time for payments from the US?

I'm fairly certain they did this a couple of years ago.

I've just been charged 10%

ergo I refunded the customer in full and re-invoiced in USD which the original sale was anyway.

I hear Paypal (& ebay) employees have a new uniform consisting of dark eye masks and black & white striped sweaters.

Robbing bar-stewards :mad:

Ok, this is something I found out today.

I was doing a payment, and the page where I have to write the amount of money to send was different. As you can see in the pic below, now you can select the currency that the seller will receive. In my case, I was sending money to Mexico, and the currency selected by default was Mexican Pesos. I manually selected USD.

31350549315_7bf46b7413.jpg

Maybe, it's not all paypal fault, maybe now the buyer has to do this extra step to be sure he is sending the right currency.

I hope this can help

I seem to get this is not always available. It depends on how you send the payment (and through eBay it also behaves differently).

It remains the very annoying thing you no longer see the double currency when paying, and now when paying you do not see precisely how much the seller will get (once it told you who would have paid the fees, and how much).

But the most annoying thing is the tricky nature of this currency "submenu": if not paying attention (or asking, insisting, annoying the other party to do certain operations like invoicing, etc.), these are $$$ uselessly flowing in their pockets… :(

Ok, this is something I found out today.

I was doing a payment, and the page where I have to write the amount of money to send was different. As you can see in the pic below, now you can select the currency that the seller will receive. In my case, I was sending money to Mexico, and the currency selected by default was Mexican Pesos. I manually selected USD.

31350549315_7bf46b7413.jpg

Maybe, it's not all paypal fault, maybe now the buyer has to do this extra step to be sure he is sending the right currency.

I hope this can help

Well, that makes things interesting....

Again, I'm trying to pay for an item on eBay using PayPal, but instead of charging me in USD, which it used to, its automatically converting it to CDN. Their exchange rate is horrible 0.72. Any way to resolve this? If this will be continuing I will have to stop using eBay. My credit card charges me 0.75. PayPal has no clue why this is happening and assured me I would be charged as usual. Sadly my credit card shows different, PayPal converted it for me, loss of $40 through their conversion.

Again, I'm trying to pay for an item on eBay using PayPal, but instead of charging me in USD, which it used to, its automatically converting it to CDN. Their exchange rate is horrible 0.72. Any way to resolve this? If this will be continuing I will have to stop using eBay. My credit card charges me 0.75. PayPal has no clue why this is happening and assured me I would be charged as usual. Sadly my credit card shows different, PayPal converted it for me, loss of $40 through their conversion.

Are you sending the money to a canadian?

If so, when you enter your amount in Usd, check the window "seller will receive" where you should see that paypal is converting in Canadian dollars. Open the menu and pick usd.

I'm paying in American prices. Not an option to choose currency in EBay.

I think that it does not matter.

If a canadian seller list on ebay.com, prices are un USD, but when you buy the item and go to pay, since the payment goes to a canadian paypal user, your USD payment is automatically changed in canadian dollars.

It's at this moment when you have to open the menu and pick USD.

At least, this is my case and apparently I can do the conversion and get the funds in USD (I am in Europe)

I came to understand this needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

What Matteo says is true – to some degree.

There are still many unclear aspects, and the situations presents differently with the various country/currency combinations and also when paying from eBay.

Let’s keep this going…

Not sure if this will solve the specific problem of Captain Canuck, but PayPal apparently deliberately constantly changes and moves the option to apply their own conversion rate or the recipient credit card's one.

This will not solve the conversions problem if the funds are sourced from the account but at least it will solve it if the funds are sourced from the card, so I thought to take the time and assemble a small tutorial, as visually it’s easier to see.

Step 1: click on the "my account" gear icon on the top right.

Please note the double currency. My primary PayPal account currency used to be (and still is) USD, but last time I was paid they converted them to EUR, so now I have money in Euro, and each time I pay in dollars they obviously charge me a fee.

FNwBN84h.png

Step 2: click on the "payments" tab and then click on "manage pre-approved payments" as shown:

Important: This also shows how to avoid the problem when paying from associated sites (like eBay): by checking "choose a payment method at checkout" you will prevent PayPal from narrowing you to pay with your PayPal balance.

1zNkqOSh.png

Step 3: This will bring you to the old interface, on this page. Click on "set available funding sources":

8F30inuh.png

Step 4: If you have a linked credit card, you will be shown this page.

Click "options":

OfQ0Lhvh.png

Step 5: Here you should see PayPal resetted by default your choice to "Use PayPal's conversion process to complete my transaction using my card's currency".

Which, of course, you do not want. Click "Bill me in the currency listed in the seller's invoice".

And – voilà – you’re done. Now, if the currency is different than your account's, it will be your credit card's rate that will be applied, and not PayPal's.

Well hidden, eh? :sick:

LiMp9qJh.png