• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WHAT DOES "SAMPLE COPY" MEAN ON COVER OF SUPERMAN 6?

12 posts in this topic

there a a few books with the exact same stamp. Ive tried to get a definitive answer, but no one really seems to know. And of course, if it did have significant value, guys like Dupcak could have easily made their own stamp and added to the "collection" by now. Theres an All American 16 with the stamp. I saved a pic of it.

166131.png.664aae36ff32fcf714fa517853bbba81.png

A "sample copy" is when the printer sends copies to the customer. The color, registration and fold all need to be perfect.

You might be right, but I don't think they are any sort of proof copies or office files -- these (meaning, specifically the DC ga books with this particular style of "sample copy" stamp) have always felt a little too common for that to me. Not that they are incredibly common, but you do see them.

Don't think they are "checking copies" either. [copies sent to advertisers as proof of ad placement]

I wonder if they are copies sent out to prospective advertisers, things of that nature. Could also be example copies sent out to other publishers as examples of quality of the printing work (or perhaps that's what you meant to begin with).

A "sample copy" is when the printer sends copies to the customer. The color, registration and fold all need to be perfect.

You might be right, but I don't think they are any sort of proof copies or office files -- these (meaning, specifically the DC ga books with this particular style of "sample copy" stamp) have always felt a little too common for that to me. Not that they are incredibly common, but you do see them.

Don't think they are "checking copies" either. [copies sent to advertisers as proof of ad placement]

I wonder if they are copies sent out to prospective advertisers, things of that nature. Could also be example copies sent out to other publishers as examples of quality of the printing work (or perhaps that's what you meant to begin with).

Printers don't send their competitors sample work.

Sample copies are kept on hand as a go by and handfuls are sent to the customer, however many the customer wants. Proofs are what the printer uses to try and match the color to what is being printed.

Yeah, they do. I get them all the time,.

[edit -- again, being clear -- talking about a situation where a printer might send Marvel, Fawcett, Fiction House, etc, etc copies of recent DC's they've done as examples of quality, to stump for business. That is extremely common to see from a pub's perspective. The printer sales rep would still call those 'samples' in modern times, come to think of it, so... hm ]

Yeah, they do. I get them all the time,.

[edit -- again, being clear -- talking about a situation where a printer might send Marvel, Fawcett, Fiction House, etc, etc copies of recent DC's they've done as examples of quality, to stump for business. That is extremely common to see from a pub's perspective. The printer sales rep would still call those 'samples' in modern times, come to think of it, so... hm ]

Yes, that is called a sample, they also have to send them to the customer..They are used in a variety of ways. yes, there are a lot more than 1 or 2 of them laying around. I know Marvel would give 25 sample copies to the artist of the book he worked on