• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I was wondering what's the equivalent of a soda shoppe for kids these days. They were ubiquitous  in teen humor comics back in the day.  They were still around when I was a kid, but seem to have disappeared. Most ice cream places don't really encourage sitting around anymore.  When I was a teen in the 70s, we'd hang out at a Friendly's, drinking endless cups of coffee for 40 cents, and sometimes buying a dish of ice cream or a sundae,  which was close to a being a soda shoppe, but  my kids (17 and 21) grew up either getting stuff to go (Starbucks) or going to someplace like California Pizza Kitchen, ordering cheap specials and loitering in the booth for an hour or so, drinking free soda refills.  It doesn't seem to have the appeal of the soda fountain.  Plus the one that was a block from me when I was around 10 also sold comic books, making the trip doubly worthwhile. 

Also my experience as a kid.  There are still a few stray ice cream shops around, but they are not as ubiquitous as they used to be, that's for sure. 

27 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I was wondering what's the equivalent of a soda shoppe for kids these days. They were ubiquitous  in teen humor comics back in the day.  They were still around when I was a kid, but seem to have disappeared. Most ice cream places don't really encourage sitting around anymore.  When I was a teen in the 70s, we'd hang out at a Friendly's, drinking endless cups of coffee for 40 cents, and sometimes buying a dish of ice cream or a sundae,  which was close to a being a soda shoppe, but  my kids (17 and 21) grew up either getting stuff to go (Starbucks) or going to someplace like California Pizza Kitchen, ordering cheap specials and loitering in the booth for an hour or so, drinking free soda refills.  It doesn't seem to have the appeal of the soda fountain.  Plus the one that was a block from me when I was around 10 also sold comic books, making the trip doubly worthwhile. 

In high school we used to go to Bob's Big Boy or Twoheeys (both drive in restraunts) in our souped up cars and hang out. I remember that me and a friend as an initation to a car club (The Chess Men) we had to sit on a large block of ice in tutu's until it melted in front of Big Boy. Backfired on them because the girls thought we were real cute.Good times!

I think kids go to the mall to hang out. 

Edited by Robot Man

44 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

In high school we used to go to Bob's Big Boy or Twoheeys (both drive in restraunts) in our souped up cars and hang out. I remember that me and a friend as an initation to a car club (The Chess Men) we had to sit on a large block of ice in tutu's until it melted in front of Big Boy. Backfired on them because the girls thought we were real cute.Good times!

I think kids go to the mall to hang out. 

There's still a few Bob's around...but no more Big Boy comics, so I don't go...:insane:

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

Listed in Overstreet as first DeCarlo on the title, but I see elsewhere that number 17 has been attributed to him as well. Either way, a cool book:

46175410.23cd7dcc.800.jpg

IIRC, the stories in #18 are signed, the ones in #17 aren't, but they clearly look like DeCarlo's work, as do both covers.