• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,276 posts in this topic

I noticed a Kathy 2 vg raw went for nearly $200 on eBay last night.  Are these good girl comics, especially from Standard, extremely scarce?  I noticed very few in the census.  Are we going to continue to see these prices keep trending up to record prices?  No one has to tell me what has happened to precode horror.  I’m just wondering if this genre of good girl comics will keep pace.  

On 12/17/2018 at 11:20 AM, Tazmaster83 said:

I noticed a Kathy 2 vg raw went for nearly $200 on eBay last night.  Are these good girl comics, especially from Standard, extremely scarce?  I noticed very few in the census.  Are we going to continue to see these prices keep trending up to record prices?  No one has to tell me what has happened to precode horror.  I’m just wondering if this genre of good girl comics will keep pace.  

The short answer I think is that no one knows.  The longer answer is that usually when a genre (in this case, maybe a sub-genre) takes off, there are usually only a relatively few people driving up prices.  After they've gotten copies, then the market can cool down fast, particularly in mid-grade and below. Some of the more obscure '50s teen humor and GGA books probably fall into this category. Rising prices usually attract more copies to market and dealers begin to find it worth their while to have them in stock.  

If once that happens, prices are still rising, then the genre has legs (such an appropriate line for GGA books!).

I’m keeping an eye out for Kathy 1 (6.0) on the Heritage auction in February, I believe.  This will be the first one sold at auction, raw or graded.  This should tell us how important the first one up will be.  Normally we see record prices on these somewhat obscure titles that are brought up   for the first time.  BTW, congratulations on that Patsy Walker.  Really nice cover!

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

The short answer I think is that no one knows.  The longer answer is that usually when a genre (in this case, maybe a sub-genre) takes off, there are usually only a relatively few people driving up prices.  After they've gotten copies, then the market can cool down fast, particularly in mid-grade and below. Some of the more obscure '50s teen humor and GGA books probably fall into this category. Rising prices usually attract more copies to market and dealers begin to find it worth their while to have them in stock.  

If once that happens, prices are still rising, then the genre has legs (such an appropriate line for GGA books!).

Kathy #2 is different from the other issues because the cover is by Alex Schomburg.  The original art for that cover was sold on ebay about 10 to 15 years ago although I don't recall what it sold for

I understand having Schomburg as the artist carries some weight.  I think what carries a lot of weight is having the first issue of a title with the added importance of it being the only graded copy as well.  Good girl comics, whether it is issue 1 or something else, sets record amounts when the only graded copy comes out to the market.  

7 hours ago, PeterPark said:

A copy sold last November for over $1,500.  That's quite a jump. 

#41 is the last issue that contains Millie.  #42, the final issue, has a great DeCarlo cover with Millie and Chili but no Millie story inside.  It's also the first cover to feature Millie's rival Chili.

I found the link and it still worked:
Joker #41 2017 Sale