• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MORTAL KOMBAT Reboot from New Line (TBD)

172 posts in this topic

JAMES WAN'S REBOOT BUILDS MORTAL KOMBAT MOVIE UNIVERSE

Producer James Wan and director Simon McQuoid's live-action MORTAL KOMBAT reboot will hit theaters on Martin Luther King Day weekend 2021. And today we have word via Liu Kang actor Ludi Lin that the film is building a MORTAL KOMBAT movie universe, not just a single fight film.

Lin says, "Director Simon McQuoid is very devoted to this world. He is very passionate about building a universe of Mortal Kombat, rather than one single fight film. He started a back story of the entire world and made sure to flesh out the characters, so that people feel it’s not just a video game and there is some substance behind it."

The cast includes Jessica McNamee (THE MEG) as Sonya Blade, Josh Lawson as Kano, and DEADPOOL 2 and WU ASSASSINS actor Lewis Tan set to play an undisclosed lead character. They join THE RAID star Joe Taslim as Sub-Zero, Chinese-Canadian actor Ludi Lin as Liu Kang, Mehcad Brooks as Jackson ‘Jax’ Briggs, Tadanobu Asano as Raiden, Sisi Stringer as Mileena, Chin Han as Shang Tsung, and Hiroyuki Sanada as Scorpion.

This new take on the game supposedly centers on a male protagonist who becomes drawn into the inter-dimensional tournament, and begins to realize his true potential as a result.

MORTAL KOMBAT will be the feature directorial debut for award-winning commercial director Simon McQuoid, who will be working from a screenplay written by Greg Russo based on the video game franchise. Wan is producing the film with Todd Garner. Larry Kasanoff, E. Bennett Walsh, Michael Clear, and Sean Robins serve as executive producers. The flick will be unleashed on January 15, 2021.

15 hours ago, sagekilz said:

I'm an absolute sucker for video game movies, don't care that 95% of them are trash.  Will always be first in line.

Lol, nice. 

okay so then... I’m interested to hear!

favourite quality video game movie:

favourite quality animated video game movie:

favourite total trash but guilty pleasure video game movie:

2 hours ago, D2 said:

Lol, nice. 

okay so then... I’m interested to hear!

favourite quality video game movie:

favourite quality animated video game movie:

favourite total trash but guilty pleasure video game movie:

favourite quality video game movie: Silent Hill (2006) is quite good in my opinion.

favourite quality animated video game movie: While not originally a video game, Wreck It Ralph (1 and 2) is fantastic.

favourite total trash but guilty pleasure video game movie: Street Fighter or Double Dragon are TERRIBLE movies but I'll always watch it if they're on

On 12/16/2020 at 9:09 AM, sagekilz said:

favourite quality video game movie: Silent Hill (2006) is quite good in my opinion.

favourite quality animated video game movie: While not originally a video game, Wreck It Ralph (1 and 2) is fantastic.

favourite total trash but guilty pleasure video game movie: Street Fighter or Double Dragon are TERRIBLE movies but I'll always watch it if they're on

I know this sounds bad, but I love resident evil. I know the CG is just awful, but if they just redid those parts with today’s tech, it would update the movie well! Mortal Kombat will also have a dear place in my heart. 

Wreck it Ralph was so phenomenal that the sequel really hurt for me. The first movie was a rare case where I probably watched it a dozen times. 

Biggest disappointment for me had to be Dead or Alive and the new Tomb Raider. 

It looks like the first Mortal Kombat movie trailer will finally be revealed tomorrow, January 15. Taking to Twitter, actor Lewis Tan, who has an undisclosed role in the movie, teased that "tomorrow will be flawless." This and the follow-up tweet not only suggest it's Mortal Kombat related, but the fact that Greg Russo, the pen behind the reboot, quickly replied with a thinking emoji, seemingly confirms this is Mortal Kombat related. Of course, the question is whether or not it's trailer related.

Back in December, it looked like the Mortal Kombat movie trailer was going to drop on December 10 at The Game Awards, or at least that's what producer Greg Russo suggested. However, this didn't happen, and since then, we haven't heard much about the movie, though a few days later we did get a release date.

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

Trailer?

Not yet.

Even though a trailer still hasn’t dropped for the upcoming Mortal Kombat movie reboot, today has finally brought with it the most news we’ve received on the film so far. In addition to releasing a variety of new images from the movie, we now also have an idea of what to expect in its opening minutes.

Detailed by Entertainment Weekly, the first ten minutes of Mortal Kombat is said to center around a fight between Scorpion and Sub-Zero when both were still known as Hanzo Hasashi and Bi-Han. The bout takes place before either character has donned their iconic garb or acquired their unique abilities. It also sets up the reason for why both Scorpion and Sub-Zero and their respective clans despise one another.

Simon McQuoid, the director of Mortal Kombat, describes the sequence as one that is full of “pretty nasty hand-to-hand combat” between Scorpion and Sub-Zero. McQuoid also explained that this opening is one of the main reasons why he cast Hiroyuki Sanada and Joe Taslim as Scorpion and Sub-Zero respectively. Each actor has an extensive martial arts background which allowed them to make this fight scene that much better. "It is like a family drama with excitingly brutal fighting. That's the image of this movie for me,” McQuoid said.

As for the scene itself, McQuoid also stated that he wanted it to be one where the storytelling could be “told within the fight.” Rather than convey the blood feud between Scorpion and Sub-Zero entirely through words, the director seemingly found it better to have the battle speak for itself.

More details about Cole and his ties to the classic MK characters have been revealed thanks to the film’s official synopsis. “MMA fighter Cole Young, accustomed to taking a beating for money, is unaware of his heritage,” the synopsis begins, before detailing the strange birthmark that ends up sending Cole to train with Lord Raiden for the Mortal Kombat tournament. It seems that all fighters destined for the tournament are marked from birth with the same symbol, suggesting Cole could have some ties to great warriors of the past. Read the full synopsis below.

“MMA fighter Cole Young, accustomed to taking a beating for money, is unaware of his heritage—or why Outworld’s Emperor Shang Tsung has sent his best warrior, Sub-Zero, an otherworldly Cryomancer, to hunt Cole down. Fearing for his family’s safety, Cole goes in search of Sonya Blade at the direction of Jax, a Special Forces Major who bears the same strange dragon marking Cole was born with. Soon, he finds himself at the temple of Lord Raiden, an Elder God and the protector of Earthrealm, who grants sanctuary to those who bear the mark. Here, Cole trains with experienced warriors Liu Kang, Kung Lao and rogue mercenary Kano, as he prepares to stand with Earth’s greatest champions against the enemies of Outworld in a high stakes battle for the universe. But will Cole be pushed hard enough to unlock his arcana—the immense power from within his soul—in time to save not only his family, but to stop Outworld once and for all?”

There are several other interesting tidbits in this synopsis, such as Kano’s apparent allegiance (or at least peace) with Raiden, references to “arcana” being the source of Mortal Kombatants’ power, and an apparent change turning Shang Tsung from the chief sorcerer of Outworld to the realm’s actual emperor. Overall, it seems like the movie is sticking pretty strictly to the plot and structure of the original games, with minor alterations here and there to help condense things for a single film runtime.

Incorporating the Mortal Kombat birthmarks explains how Tan’s Cole comes to meet with Raiden and train for the tournament, but it doesn’t explain his “heritage,” as referenced in the synopsis. That could suggest, given how long the battle between Earthrealm and Outworld has raged, that Cole has some direct yet unknown connection to a particular character from the past, like Sub-Zero or Scorpion. Those secrets will be revealed when Mortal Kombat releases on April 16.