• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MORTAL KOMBAT Reboot from New Line (TBD)

172 posts in this topic

Joe Taslim, the actor who portrays Bi-Han/Sub-Zero in the upcoming Mortal Kombat reboot, has hinted at an appearance of classic MK fighter Noob Saibot.

The film serves as both an adaptation of the wildly popular and critically acclaimed video game series of the same name, and also a reboot of the original Mortal Kombat films from the 90s. The film is directed by Simon McQuoid (in his feature directorial debut) and produced by horror master James Wan. While the film will still revolve around the titular tournament, 2021's Mortal Kombat will not directly adapt the story from any particular game in the series - opting for a mix and match of several games while also introducing new characters and story beats.

The cryomancer Sub-Zero is one of the most iconic Mortal Kombat fighters and - along with Scorpion - serves as the franchise's mascot. Two characters have donned the mantle in the MK mythology: brothers Bi-Han and Kuai Liang. Bi-Han was killed during the events of the first Mortal Kombat game and was eventually resurrected as Noob Saibot (the name being taken from MK creators Ed Boon and John Tobias' last names spelled backward) by the necromancer Quan Chi. Noob Saibot's initial appearance in Mortal Kombat II had him as a hidden, unplayable fighter. However, the character grew a strong fanbase amongst players and eventually became a staple in the series.

In a feature by Collider, Taslim hinted at a possible appearance of Noob Saibot. The actor remained coy and vague but dropped a few notable clues that point toward Sub-Zero's transformation. Taslim noted how Noob Saibot's creation is well-known among those familiar with the MK series, saying, "It's not a secret that Quan Chi took the humanity inside of Bi-Han and turned him into Noob Saibot." The actor pointed out that a big part of his portrayal of Sub-Zero plays with the balance between the character's humanity and his more villainous side, which he called "pitch black." It's an interesting choice of words, and arguably more canonically descriptive of Noob Saibot than Bi-Han.

The rivalry between Scorpion and Sub-Zero has played a pivotal role in the Mortal Kombat franchise since its inception, and will be front and center in the upcoming live-action reboot. On Twitter, Mortal Kombat co-creator John Tobias was asked about the creation of the characters, and the inspiration for the Lin Kuei. Interestingly enough, Tobias says the idea for the clan came from China's Ninja Connection, a book he discovered during development that discussed the country's ties to the ninjas of Japan. Tobias and Ed Boon were already working on Mortal Kombat and had the idea of using palette-swapped ninjas to save on space.

While Tobias maintains that the book's claims were "dubious," it inspired the idea of further building the backstory between Sub-Zero and Scorpion beyond the change in coloration. Tobias went on to make Sub-Zero a member of China's Lin Kuei and Scorpion a member of Japan's Shirai Ryu, using "the historical implications as fuel for their rivalry."

As part of the Tweet chain, Tobias shared an early sketch of Sub-Zero. 

“Mortal Kombat,” an adaptation of the popular video game, has been delayed a week.

The Warner Bros. film is coming out on April 23. It was originally set for April 16.

Directed by Simon McQuoid, the story follows a washed-up MMA fighter who is unaware of his hidden lineage and why he’s being hunted down by a clan of assassins. Concerned for the safety of his family, he seeks out a team of fighters who were chosen to defend Earthrealm in a high-stakes battle against the forces of Outworld. James Wan, whose credits include “Aquaman,” “The Conjuring” and “Saw

One week delay probably to space these potential mega-hits out.

This might be the movie of the year for me.  Huge MK fan ever since the first when I first played it on Sega Genesis.  I remember going to the arcades and battling it out with other gamers. My player of choice has always been Scorpion.  Simple moves, loving the spear and his fatalities, he was bad*ss!  Those were some fun times.  Really can't wait for this movie!

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

This might be the movie of the year for me.  Huge MK fan ever since the first when I first played it on Sega Genesis.  I remember going to the arcades and battling it out with other gamers. My player of choice has always been Scorpion.  Simple moves, loving the spear and his fatalities, he was bad*ss!  Those were some fun times.  Really can't wait for this movie!

Same.  Loved going to the arcade with a few dollars and spending hours kicking .  Scorpion was my favorite, too. With Kitana as a close second. Liu Kang was my least favorite, but seem to be a favorite of a lot of my competitors.  

Even bought this for my PS3.

s-l300.jpg

Soundtrack time, and they are doubling down on the techno that made the first movie so memorable. Hell yeah.

Is it better than the original, nope, but is it over the top, cheesy and basically what I expect a modern version would be (more dubstep / drum n' bass / EDM rather than the originals industrial techno rock), yeah! 

Edited by Sauce Dog

Early reviews for the Mortal Kombat reboot are up, and it looks like fans can get ready to celebrate a strong adaptation. The film doesn’t release in the U.S. until April 23, but it’s already premiered in several territories, and the critical consensus so far is an excellent sign. Mortal Kombat stars Lewis Tan, Joe Taslim, Hiroyuki Sanada, Jessica McNamee, Ludi Lin, Mehcad Brooks, and Josh Lawson and is directed by Simon McQuoid.

The history of video game movie adaptations is full of mediocre, disappointing, and downright bad attempts. The 1995 Mortal Kombat film has stood for decades as one of the genre’s better examples, but its sequel, 1997’s Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, was widely panned. When the news of a live-action reboot first came out, it was met with both excitement and understandable trepidation. Now though, it looks like the franchise’s fans may finally be able to breathe a sigh of relief.

Mufaddal Fakhruddin, IGN Middle East

“If you’re a Mortal Kombat fan, you’ll have a blast since you’ll fill in the gaps with your pre-existing knowledge of the series and just revel in the violence. But for the average viewer, there will be little reason to care for the stakes here. Ultimately that’s what 2021’s Mortal Kombat comes down to - a solid video game adaptation full of fan service for the gamers (stay for the sequel tease) and a decent action movie for everyone else.”

Kervyn Cloete, Critical Hit

“For every step backward it takes, Mortal Kombat then promptly flying-bicycle kicks its way forward again to the point where I walked out of the cinema not just thoroughly entertained, but actually all-in on the next chapter teased in its closing moments. With just a $50 million reported price tag, the film won’t need to do much to break even and guarantee a sequel, so let’s just hope that 2021 doesn’t pull a fatality on this franchise.”

James Marsh, South China Morning Post

“Nuanced character drama this most certainly isn’t; instead, this is boxers with ninja blood and green berets with robot arms pummelling invisible lizards and bat-winged demon babes to a bloody pulp. When they’re not fighting, characters bicker and spout pseudo-spiritual idioms until it’s time to square off again. Mortal Kombat is not for the discerning palate, but for those in the know – get over here!”

A'bidah Zaid, Geek Culture

“As a movie based on the popular video game, Mortal Kombat effectively brings the game’s world onto the silver screen with a lot of care and attention to detail. The characterisation and portrayal of the beloved fighters are close enough to their game counterparts, with outfits and fighting styles being almost identical to the game. The visuals, sound effects, gore, and action are exactly what fans have been looking for since the original 1995 film and more.”

Sergio Pereira, Fortress

“Mortal Kombat (2021) doesn’t come without its knocks. From pacing issues to lack of character development and strange editing, it isn’t just a quick win. Yet, despite the occasional blow, the film still keeps kicking and comes out victorious in the end. Sometimes, you just need to watch a movie where a character freezes another one’s blood and stabs him with it.”

Husain Rizvi, Khaleej Times

“Now, if you are still wondering if Mortal Kombat would be a good watch, let the ‘fatalities’ take away that thought. Although the main plot dims over the course of the movie, the fatalities, Lawson’s performance, and an otherwise promising start to a new storyline in the Mortal Kombat franchise make the movie worthwhile.”

Bryan Tan, Yahoo! News Singapore

"Fans will be pleased to know that the movie is a very significant upgrade from the 1997 Mortal Kombat Annihilation movie, which supposedly employed Word Art from Microsoft Word in its graphics, said my astute and learned movie companion. Fans can also expect trademark catch-phrases and signature moves from the characters in the movie which are true to the video game franchise."

https://collider.com/mortal-kombat-movie-sequels-joe-taslim-sub-zero/

In a new interview with Variety, actor Joe Taslim revealed that he’s signed on for four more Mortal Kombat sequels to portray the iconic villain Sub-Zero, if Warner Bros. decides to move forward with the franchise. With the news coming days before the film is scheduled to premiere this week, it seems that Warner Bros. is hopeful that Mortal Kombat will finally break the curse of poor video game adaptations and launch a new series for the studio.

Taslim broke the news during his appearance on the Just for Variety podcast, saying "if this one’s successful, maybe we do more." He also spoke on his relationship with the legendary game franchise, which began when he was just 12 years old:

“I was born in South Sumatra. We were poor so I didn’t have the console because it’s expensive. I went to my friend’s house every day to play the game. But you get there and there are like 10 kids lining up. Who wins keeps playing…so it takes me to get to my part like 40 minutes.”

Actors signing on for multiple films before studios even know the success of the first film is nothing new in Hollywood. Marvel is well known for signing its MCU actors to multiple-film deals before their first appearance on screen in case their character is needed for future productions.

If Mortal Kombat turns out to be a hit at the box office, it makes sense that Warner Bros. would want to lock in the actor behind its most important character, Sub-Zero, to a long-term deal — especially one that is reportedly so good at martial arts stunts that he not only terrified the crew, but had to be asked to slow down his moves so they could be captured on-camera.

Mortal Kombat is set to release in theaters and HBO Max this Friday, April 23.