• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 GGA books
4 4

308 posts in this topic

From Wikipedia:

Richard A. Lupoff defined good girl art as:

A cover illustration depicting an attractive young woman, usually in skimpy or form-fitting clothing, and designed for erotic stimulation. The term does not apply to the morality of the "good girl", who is often a gun moll, tough cookie or wicked temptress

Yes, it's possible that "good" can be used in an ironic sense when referring to a gun moll type. So, we have art depicting good girls and art depicting "good" (= bad) girls. Some of the Fox covers have lousy girl art: LGA. The girls are fine, but the art's bad. :D

Which Fox era/genre are you referring to? Any specific covers come to mind?

A lot of them! Here's one (not my book -- taken from the HA archives, apologies to the owner!):

lf_zpsueyi3465.jpg

If the image is that mediochre, I'd say it doesn't qualify. it is neither good art depicting a girl, nor art that depicts girls "good".

From Wikipedia:

A cover illustration depicting an attractive young woman, usually in skimpy or form-fitting clothing, and designed for erotic stimulation. The term does not apply to the morality of the "good girl", who is often a gun moll, tough cookie or wicked temptress

Yes, it's possible that "good" can be used in an ironic sense when referring to a gun moll type. So, we have art depicting good girls and art depicting "good" (= bad) girls. Some of the Fox covers have lousy girl art: LGA. The girls are fine, but the art's bad. :D

A lot of them! Here's one (not my book -- taken from the HA archives, apologies to the owner!):

lf_zpsueyi3465.jpg

If the image is that mediochre, I'd say it doesn't qualify. it is neither good art depicting a girl, nor art that depicts girls "good".

Perhaps we should start a thread for GA Bad Girl Art, in which "bad" describes the art.

Haunted Thrills #1 would be a top candidate...

HT01.jpg

:sick:

(not my copy)

From Wikipedia:

lf_zpsueyi3465.jpg

That art looks like it came from an 8-pager

From Wikipedia:

lf_zpsueyi3465.jpg

Wow Tony! You are right. I never think of a bad good girl Fox book. I think I just block them out. :whatev:

17 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

brendastarr14.jpg

17 hours ago, comicjack said:

How did that  8.5 get in there lol

Hey Richard;

He's definitely right as this lowly CGC 8.5 fugly looking slab just casts a dark shadow like a big pimple on the rest of your beautiful looking books.  :gossip:

Being the team player that I am, just send that nasty looking Brenda Starr my way as I am willing to take the hit for you so that the rest of your collection will present just that much nicer.  :eek:  :takeit:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Richard;

He's definitely right as this lowly CGC 8.5 fugly looking slab just casts a dark shadow like a big pimple on the rest of your beautiful looking books.  :gossip:

Being the team player that I am, just send that nasty looking Brenda Starr my way as I am willing to take the hit for you so that the rest of your collection will present just that much nicer.  :eek:  :takeit:

Thanks for the kind offer, Lou. But I would hate for it to to look equally out of place among your 4.5s.