• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, wombat said:

In that video they mentioned there would need to be more than one movie. If that is true I wonder how far this movie is going to go. 

From what I understood its going to be split over two movies.

24 minutes ago, wombat said:

Right, so what is the natural split for the first to end? 

But I wonder if these go over strongly if they will just push on to the later books as well.

I really enjoyed those early Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson books and still own them.

16 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

But I wonder if these go over strongly if they will just push on to the later books as well.

I really enjoyed those early Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson books and still own them.

Messiah might be okay. 

Children would be awesome. 

God Emperor would be strange. Almost all dialogue. We'd be forced to hear Leto drone on for hours about philosophy while torturing the Duncan clones. Hard pass. 

And Brian's books? Good? :facepalm: no...just....no

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Messiah might be okay. 

God Emperor would be strange. Almost all dialogue. We'd be forced to hear Leto drone on for hours about philosophy while torturing the Duncan clones. Hard pass. 

House Atreides and House Harkonnen, to me, were enjoyable and helped keep the stories going after his father's death. If you didn't like them, that's fine.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

House Atreides and House Harkonnen, to me, were enjoyable and helped keep the stories going after his father's death. If you didn't like them, that's fine.

Of course it's fine! Just like it's fine for you to love them. :foryou:

What timing.

It’s been a major week for “Dune” fans thanks to Vanity Fair’s various first looks at Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming two-part adaptation of Frank Herbert’s legendary science-fiction novel. The Warner Bros. tentpole marks the return of “Dune” to the big screen after David Lynch’s infamous box office bomb in 1984. Brian Herbert, son of the late “Dune” author, reacted enthusiastically to the first looks at Villeneuve’s project by writing on social media, “‘Dune’ fans, I hope you’re all as excited as I am to see these early glimpses of the new ‘Dune’ movie. My father would be incredibly proud!”

Brian Herbert’s excitement for Villeneuve’s “Dune” was matched by “Star Wars” actor John Boyega, who posted the first look of Oscar Isaac in the film on his social media platforms with an expletive-filled caption. Boyega and Isaac starred opposite one another in three “Star Wars” movies. Isaac takes on the patriarchal role of Leto Atreides in Villeneuve’s “Dune,” which follows Herbert’s text in centering around the Atreides family as they battle enemies after gaining ownership of the valuable desert planet Arrakis. Villeneuve’s cast also includes Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya, Jason Mamoa, Rebecca Ferguson, Dave Bautista, and Stellan Skarsgard.

1 hour ago, newshane said:

Messiah might be okay. 

I thought the TV mini series did a great job with Messiah and Children of Dune.

God Emperor is such a great book but hard to imagine adapting into a movie. 

As for Brian Herberts books, I think it’s just his name on a Kevin J Anderson manuscript. The books are consistent with his writing - short chapters followed by a recap in the following short chapter - and when compared to Frank Herbert’s novels fall pretty far down the literary spectrum. That being said I really enjoyed the two Brian/Anderson prequel trilogies, they are much simpler books but still highly entertaining. I think there were some Frank Herbert penned fragments that found their way into the ‘House’ series - that would explain the slightly longer chapters in those books.

Edited by Mr Sneeze

2 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

God Emperor is such a great book but hard to imagine adapting into a movie. 

As for Brian Herberts books, I think it’s just his name on a Kevin J Anderson manuscript. The books are consistent with his writing - short chapters followed by a recap in the following short chapter - and when compared to Frank Herbert’s novels fall pretty far down the literary spectrum. That being said I really enjoyed the two Brian/Anderson prequel trilogies, they are much simpler books but still highly entertaining. I think there were some Frank Herbert penned fragments that found their way into the ‘House’ series.

I feel badly for Brian. I've read some of his comments about growing up with Frank, who was apparently quite distant and more focused on his work than his family. 

Brian seemed kind of lost, and living in the shadows of a literary giant isn't an easy thing to do. He's spent his entire life chasing his father's excellence and has fallen short. 

:(

He was working with his dad's notes the entire time. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

I have the Dune 3-disc Special Edition of the TV mini series. I need to go back and watch that.

I had the Children of Dune set on DVD as well. But unfortunately in lending it out it never made it back to my collection. :(

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I have the Dune 3-disc Special Edition of the TV mini series. I need to go back and watch that.

I had the Children of Dune set on DVD as well. But unfortunately in lending it out it never made it back to my collection. :(

Definitely worth finding again imho.

And a video overview of the original Dune film that never got made.

Jodorowsky’s Dune is an incredible documentary. If you didn’t know, this documentary tells the story of the production of the original Dune movie, and no I don’t mean the David Lynch Film. 10 years before the release of David Lynch's Dune in 1984, Jodoworsky gathered a team of incredible artists to work what is now thought of as potentially the most influential film never made. Many of those who worked with Jodorowsky went on to take some of those ideas and use them in other films. The influence of Jodorowsky Dune can be seen in Star Wars, The Alien Franchise, Terminator, Flash Gordon, Indiana Jones, Masters of the Universe, Even David Lynch Probably got the floating Baron Harkonnen from Jodorowsky's Dune. Alejandro Jodorowsky himself went on to take all of his ideas for Dune and put them into his comic, like the metabarons, and the Incal. Jodorowsky and his entire team had an incredible amount of passion coupled with unrivaled talent. If this movie were to have gotten made it would have been a spectacular thing to behold. Jodorowsky wanted to create something large, epic, and beautiful unlike any film before it. It just wouldn’t have been anything close to what Frank Herbert would have wanted.