• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, crassus said:

Yeah I agree completely, I'm surprised the plan is not for 3 movies, one for each of the original trilogy, like Lord of the Rings, three books, three movies...done....and if done well, I think everyone would be grateful enough....but if I understand correctly there is only going to be 2 movies?

Yep. Book one told in two movies. 

16 minutes ago, crassus said:

Let me correct what I said about audiences not responding well to a giant worm as the main character....I meant, unless of course, it was a film about a giant worm gobbling up teenage girls in bikinis at the beach party...then, of course, boffo box office all the way lol

The worm/hybrid is some gas-huffer weirdness. I love it. 

But it's :censored:ing weird. 

4 minutes ago, crassus said:
11 minutes ago, newshane said:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading God Emperor, I just don't see how it would translate into a film. 

Yeah I agree completely, I'm surprised the plan is not for 3 movies, one for each of the original trilogy, like Lord of the Rings, three books, three movies...done....and if done well, I think everyone would be grateful enough....but if I understand correctly there is only going to be 2 movies?

In a perfect world, someone would take the time to properly interpret God Emperor for the screen because I completely agree when you say it closes the cycle.

As for the two movies; as far as I know they are for the first book.

Just now, Mr Sneeze said:

In a perfect world, someone would take the time to properly interpret God Emperor for the screen because I completely agree when you say it closes the cycle.

As for the two movies; as far as I know they are for the first book.

I think the opening scene would be incredible. I won't spoil it for people who have yet to read it. 

The entire pilgrimage during the second half would be awesome as well. 

All the bloviating in-between, however, would be painful, but easily edited/condensed. 

And the poor Duncan clones. :(

13 minutes ago, newshane said:

I think the opening scene would be incredible. I won't spoil it for people who have yet to read it. 

The entire pilgrimage during the second half would be awesome as well. 

All the bloviating in-between, however, would be painful, but easily edited/condensed. 

And the poor Duncan clones. :(

Yes the Duncan clones, Herbert was into something big there, that's the kind of thing you could make compelling movie watching, one of the Duncans was known for playing beautiful music, clones but not all precisely the same, if I remember correctly...

Edited by crassus

20 minutes ago, crassus said:

Yes the Duncan clones, Herbert was into something big there, that's the kind of thing you could make compelling movie watching, one of the Duncans was known for playing beautiful music, clones but not all precisely the same, if I remember correctly...

I found it rather chilling that such a fine specimen of a human was kept by the worm as a glorified pet, basically. 

The way he purposefully exploited a "flaw" in the man that turned out to be genetic. All the clones had one thing in common - they kept making the same mistake, and suffering the same fate. 

I almost found it comical at one point. But it's pretty grotesque in all honesty. 

1 minute ago, newshane said:

I found it rather chilling that such a fine specimen of a human was kept by the worm as a glorified pet, basically. 

The way he purposefully exploited a "flaw" in the man that turned out to be genetic. All the clones had one thing in common - they kept making the same mistake, and suffering the same fate. 

I almost found it comical at one point. But it's pretty grotesque in all honesty. 

Yeah, that sums it up nicely, the worm's human sentimentality cannot let go, his treatment of the Duncans finally a uniquely human cruelty, another part of the book which has a lot to say about fate. Fate as both comical and grotesque is a good way to describe it generally.

There are sci-fi epics, and then there’s Dune. Frank Herbert’s sprawling 600-page novel is an expansive work, with dangerous desert planets, tussling political hierarchies, marauding skyscraper-sized sandworms, and a looming prospect of war. And at the centre of it all is Paul Atreides, a noble youngster from House Atreides, thrust into danger, about to face the greatest challenge of his life. For both the treacherous desert of Arrakis and the young hero venturing into it, it had to be the real deal – hence visionary director Denis Villeneuve eschewing green-screen to shoot in the Wadi Rum desert, with Timothée Chalamet as his leading man.

“That part of the Wadi Rum is so awe-inspiring, you might as well be getting chased by that cliff in the background,” Chalamet told Empire. “It wasn’t a green-screen or anything. That’s one of the most thrilling parts of the book and the movie. We had the sketches. That was a lesson for me. On a Call Me By Your Name or Beautiful Boy it can be counterintuitive to see the storyboards because then maybe you limit yourself based on a camera angle or whatever. It’s the opposite [here] because, for a sequence with the sandworm chasing you, I could never imagine that.”

As seen in Empire’s world-exclusive Dune issue – on sale Thursday 3 September, and available to pre-order online now here – take a brand new look at Chalamet’s Paul Atreides, joined by Zendaya’s mysterious Fremen tribeswoman Chani, her eyes glowing blue from exposure to Arrakis’ precious resource, spice.

Done01.thumb.jpg.3bce2e92dd4986ac7017855e1dc14e98.jpg

Done02.thumb.jpg.11c845cce4fc610553b431856b5765d8.jpg

Done03.thumb.jpg.15ada1ce2bc998dda7801e32de6a5c39.jpg

Done04.thumb.jpg.29a55d1cc21d9911fbfdf7b45e90be0a.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

The 1 minute 37 second long teaser trailer has started to arrive at cinemas in Canada, with Inside The Film Room getting to see the footage – which is said to be exclusive to screenings of Tenet, announcing a (likely separate) full-length trailer, set to run just over 3 minutes, arriving online on Wednesday, September 9. Bootleg images of the teaser are also making their way through social media today. If you’re seeing Christopher Nolan’s latest, let us know if you get to see this sneak peek…do however bear in mind that there are reports of the footage not playing until August 31, which is when the first screenings of Tenet in the United States begin.

screenshot-at-aug-19-18-28-29-1.png

We expect the trailer to finally arrive online some time in the next 7 days, if not any day now: the first public screenings of Christopher Nolan’s latest begin in Australia, New Zealand and Sweden this Saturday, with the wider international release on August 26. The trailer being rated now, though this is speculation on our part, could also mean it might end up playing with the Inception re-release in the U.S. from this Friday, August 21. However, with a succession of new looks at Tenet and Wonder Woman 1984 (and more from DC FanDome) due to land this Friday and Saturday respectively, we probably wouldn’t expect it this weekend specifically.

As always, we’ll have more info on here as it comes in.