• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Herbert's DUNE from Legendary Pictures (TBD)
6 6

797 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, wombat said:

Don't hate me. I wasn't blown away by the trailer. Of course that doesn't mean I won't see it. 

Yeah, for some reason I’m not “blown away” either. 

I mean, it doesn’t look bad or anything. Maybe it’s because I’ve read the book so many times that I’m simply seeing everything I expect to see.  Which is definitely a good thing, but doesn’t necessarily get me into the “blown away” category either. 

I get the Pink Floyd deep-cut reference but I gotta admit it kinda took me out of the trailer a bit. 

One of the things that concerns me is that as a fan of the book I recognize I lot of stuff, so appeals to me, but it’s kind hard for me to stand back and judge objectively. But for anyone who hasn’t read the book, does this look as incomprehensible as the ‘84 trailer?

Dune is kind of like the science fiction equivalent of Lord of the Rings: a very detailed and complex fictional universe with a story that spans several generations of characters. 

Whatever you think of the LotRs movies,  they did manage to draw in an audience beyond the loyal followers of the books, they actually got a new generation to pick up the books and read them. I wonder if this trailer is going draw in a wider audience or just appeal to the faithful initiated. 

Don’t get me wrong: I am definitely going to see this. 

13 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Yeah, for some reason I’m not “blown away” either. 

I mean, it doesn’t look bad or anything. Maybe it’s because I’ve read the book so many times that I’m simply seeing everything I expect to see.  Which is definitely a good thing, but doesn’t necessarily get me into the “blown away” category either. 

I get the Pink Floyd deep-cut reference but I gotta admit it kinda took me out of the trailer a bit. 

One of the things that concerns me is that as a fan of the book I recognize I lot of stuff, so appeals to me, but it’s kind hard for me to stand back and judge objectively. But for anyone who hasn’t read the book, does this look as incomprehensible as the ‘84 trailer?

Dune is kind of like the science fiction equivalent of Lord of the Rings: a very detailed and complex fictional universe with a story that spans several generations of characters. 

Whatever you think of the LotRs movies,  they did manage to draw in an audience beyond the loyal followers of the books, they actually got a new generation to pick up the books and read them. I wonder if this trailer is going draw in a wider audience or just appeal to the faithful initiated. 

Don’t get me wrong: I am definitely going to see this. 

I could see that. Especially if you have read the books (and someone like you, probably more than once), watched the movie and SYFY films and know all the details in and out. So seeing a potential rehashing of the same content could feel played out or appeasing fans.

But for me, I am seeing a lot of promise. Including appropriate portrayals of key characters and honoring much of the source in a very short first trailer. Now where it goes from there is the real win. Hopefully it meets and exceeds expectations.

5 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Ok, haven't been following this movie at all because, well I've never been a Dune fan, but is Oscar Isaacs becoming the new Sam Jackson in that he is in every damn movie that is coming out?

He has been around quite a bit, hasn't he. If we leave out Star Wars - not that he was bad or anything - I think he is quite good in everything he does. I look forward to his take on Duke Leto.

It pains the Dune fan in me to say that I think this movie will be a giant bag of meh. None of those big sweeping scifi visuals are new enough to modern audiences to warrant interest. See the John Carter movie. Also, big mistake breaking it into two parts.

I could have egg on my face when this comes out, but I think Children of Dune will be as good as it gets for this franchise on screen.

Arrival was amazing because the ideas in it were amazing.

Blade Runner 2.0 had nothing to add to the convo established by the first film.

7 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

It pains the Dune fan in me to say that I think this movie will be a giant bag of meh. None of those big sweeping scifi visuals are new enough to modern audiences to warrant interest. See the John Carter movie. Also, big mistake breaking it into two parts.

I could have egg on my face when this comes out, but I think Children of Dune will be as good as it gets for this franchise on screen.

Arrival was amazing because the ideas in it were amazing.

Blade Runner 2.0 had nothing to add to the convo established by the first film.

With this one remember Disney executives purposely sabotaged the film to spite outgoing executives that originally sponsored the film.

John Carter and the Gods of Hollywood (2012)

But even with that, it was a fun film. Just purposely mistitled to make it generic, not much effort invested in marketing and spliced together so it was a final film.

Being a first trailer not sure if we can fully judge Dune yet. I look forward to the next trailer for sure.

13 hours ago, wombat said:

Don't hate me. I wasn't blown away by the trailer. Of course that doesn't mean I won't see it. 

I had the same reaction, underwhelming, but I realize great trailers can end in finally disappointing movies, and vice versa, so we'll wait and see. I do so want it not to suck, but its material that almost begs to be overworked, as a production, and that is usually what kills these kinds of movies. 

9 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:
13 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I haven't seen Sicario, but if Dune 2.0 is anything like Arrival and Blade Runner 2.0, does that mean it will be deep and beautiful, but kinda boring?

I'll take deep, beautiful and boring any day of the week!

That's what I look forward to with retirement! :banana:

Seriously speaking, and given I don't watch a lot of movies, I was surprised to realize I have seen all 3 of these, and I liked all 3, in fact Sicario I watched twice, and I did think the Blade Runner added something to the original, and that it was a very different kind of movie from the original, in a good way. So maybe I should be more optimistic... 

4 minutes ago, Grails said:

I honestly can’t think of another director I would choose right now to helm this project. The person who should have done it before was 80’s James Cameron right after Aliens and The Abyss. But James Cameron today? Nope.

Good comparison, and I agree completely. I saw Aliens in the theater when it came out, its easy to forget now what a sensation that was at the time, I think the movie made the cover of Time, if I remember correctly (?), it blew everything else away, and I think at that point on the strength of his successes Cameron got a huge (at the time) billion dollar contract to make movies...and then came....("don't say it don't say it") The Titanic....I know it was a great success, but I just don't like those kind of movies, and I was tortured with the soundtrack everywhere for months at a time...but yeah at the time he would have been the director to do it. 

2 hours ago, Grails said:

I honestly can’t think of another director I would choose right now to helm this project. The person who should have done it before was 80’s James Cameron right after Aliens and The Abyss. But James Cameron today? Nope.

James Cameron was supposed to do it before Lynch signed on. He dropped out due to a death in his family.

3 hours ago, crassus said:

I had the same reaction, underwhelming, but I realize great trailers can end in finally disappointing movies, and vice versa, so we'll wait and see. I do so want it not to suck, but its material that almost begs to be overworked, as a production, and that is usually what kills these kinds of movies. 

I’m hoping for a slower paced movie in the mold of Lawrence of Arabia. 

2 hours ago, D84 said:

James Cameron was supposed to do it before Lynch signed on. He dropped out due to a death in his family.

I never realized that. I wonder how the film would have turned out under his earlier directing days.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I never realized that. I wonder how the film would have turned out under his earlier directing days.

Sorry, I double checked and it was Ridley Scott.🤦‍♂️