• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze horror bug

20 posts in this topic

I recently received a Werewolf by Night #1 that was graded for my birthday and it brought back memories of the old 70s horror books I read as a kid. So with card in hand I stalked eBay. I remembered the usual suspects like Tomb of Dracula and Werewolf by Night but I was unaware of the many similar titles. I have about 50 listed out so far to try. I will put them up as I receive them and give reviews here. If you are a fan let me know what you are reading and what you suggest.

I recently received a Werewolf by Night #1 that was graded for my birthday and it brought back memories of the old 70s horror books I read as a kid. So with card in hand I stalked eBay. I remembered the usual suspects like Tomb of Dracula and Werewolf by Night but I was unaware of the many similar titles. I have about 50 listed out so far to try. I will put them up as I receive them and give reviews here. If you are a fan let me know what you are reading and what you suggest.

Welcome to the Boards

The bronze section referenced above is great for bronze comics(horror included), but kudos for starting a thread about comics and Comics General. The more properly comics related threads in here the better.

I'll throw the best picture of my ToD #10 I can access from work to keep the thread rolling.

301779860580.jpg

You're story reminds me a lot of myself with Superhero comics back around '03. It's always exciting when you first come back to an old love :D

Good idea on the Magazines,

I've been trying to learn more about these 70s magazines as I wasn't even around yet. Marvel had an imprint called Curtis where they published alot of stuff that was adult oriented, as it didn't need to meet the comics code since it was magazine format. I wish I could find out which stories actually still hold up well today, though. It is hard to know without reading them all.

Here's a decent list to get started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_magazines_released_by_Marvel_Comics_in_the_1970s

If anyone has owned and read any of these feel free to chime in on the quality of the stories/artists.

Good idea on the Magazines,

I've been trying to learn more about these 70s magazines as I wasn't even around yet. Marvel had an imprint called Curtis where they published alot of stuff that was adult oriented, as it didn't need to meet the comics code since it was magazine format. I wish I could find out which stories actually still hold up well today, though. It is hard to know without reading them all.

Here's a decent list to get started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_magazines_released_by_Marvel_Comics_in_the_1970s

If anyone has owned and read any of these feel free to chime in on the quality of the stories/artists.

Not to generalize, but they hold up better than many of the CCA approved stories from the 70s do.

The Warren (Creepy and Eerie) magazines do as well.

Skywald as well, although some of them might reprint 50s horror, which does not always hold up, but the covers are awesome.

Eerie did magazines with great covers as well, but i think a lot of the insides were also old reprint material, some of which is hit or miss.

DC bronze horror rules! Not only do you get well written beautifully drawn stories, you also get awesome Sergio Aragones comic relief in between them.

As a Marvel guy, I have to agree.

Most of the Bronze Marvel horror/monster anthology titles were reprints.

Marvel/Atlas Horror/monster anthology books were at their peak in the pre hero days.

Cool, another bronze horror enthusiast! Join us over at the thread....it's my exclusive collecting specialty! I tend to prefer DCs myself, but have dabbed into late Silver/early bronze Charltons as well. A ton of Marvels are reprints and not necessarily to my taste, but I love Tomb of Dracula.

I've stayed away from magazines, but Creepy and Eerie have hardcovers being printed now and can get them very economically.

Want to explore the stories without much cost? DC did a number of the titles in "Presents" format (b/w).

Or you can go nuts like me and go for the CGC gusto in high grade. It's been a great adventure, and after 15 years I'm still not done.

Wow, I completely forgot about these.

I remember that in the late '80, some company here would make compilation of those comics into small pocket books, in black and white. They were hard to find, so getting a new one from the store was almost an 'event' between me and my cousins, as we were quite poor, but deeply enjoyed them. We should share them between each other and give them back when we would meet up at family events. They were translated in french, which was great for us, at the time.

Time to hit ebay!

I`ve been collecting Horror comics for years. I always had a thing for the great artwork of some of the masters like Wrightson, Ploog, Colan, and Cardy, just to name a few.Their covers pulled me in as a young boy, and I got lost in the stories. I may have even had a nightmare or two, but it never swayed me away from those eerie tales.We didn`t have a comic book store nearby, so Gray Drug Store was my haven for the my monthly fix.I`d cut the grass, or do some extra chores to get my quarter and head up the street to the store. Although they came out with some recent titles of horror over the years, my favorite time was the 70`s. They weren`t filled with blood and gore, just well written stories and artwork that took you to another place. This is a great thread to get people interested again. I`m all for it!