• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Potential Wizard bankruptcy???

271 posts in this topic

I was thinking scotch but carry on.

I would have liked to do your San Francisco show but traveling from London to the West coast is not something I can do.

It would be a great to host you one day, Bob.

Boyd kept the Megacon Tampa trainwreck at the top of the Events forum for weeks and weeks only to claim postmortem, upon its brand and goodwill spoiling catastrophic collapse, that it wasn't a comics show nor marketed as a comics show.

Yet the Toronto gang occupied coveted top billing in Events, shamelessly.

Their Sunday only Dr Who con should've pimped itself elsewhere.

May Toronto come to your US town is my Thanksgiving wish. It has already consumed your online forum.

Folks need to read this gem.

The $100 buyer. Am I seeing this buyer at my booth? Very rarely and they are generally looking at low grade, may buy one book. A lot of these buyers are the ones who ask "I'm just curious, how much is the AF #15?"

I'm curious: Is the price of the AF #15 clear for all to see or is there no price on it? If there is no price on it, would putting a price on it relieve you of what must be a really annoying question?

The $100 buyer. Am I seeing this buyer at my booth? Very rarely and they are generally looking at low grade, may buy one book. A lot of these buyers are the ones who ask "I'm just curious, how much is the AF #15?"

I'm curious: Is the price of the AF #15 clear for all to see or is there no price on it? If there is no price on it, would putting a price on it relieve you of what must be a really annoying question?

You're missing the humor in the post. It's meant to be 'tongue in cheek' post.

Sellers often 'regret' putting books like Hulk #181 and AF #15 up for sale because 'how much is it' is almost invariably followed up by one of the following

a) my used to have one

b) I used to have one but my mom threw it out (to which I reply, thank God for moms throwing out comics - I wouldn't have a business if they kept them all!)

c) I have one. Just wanted to know how much they go for. :tonofbricks:

d) I wish I had one (me too!)

Usually about 200-300 times a show. :D

Sellers often 'regret' putting books like Hulk #181 and AF #15 up for sale because 'how much is it' is almost invariably followed up by one of the following

a) my used to have one

b) I used to have one but my mom threw it out (to which I reply, thank God for moms throwing out comics - I wouldn't have a business if they kept them all!)

Absolutely true. The glamour life I lead. Much like a bartender I am behind the table to hear your stories of motherly woe, your triumphs and failures in collecting and the things you could have bought if your horrible mother hadn't thrown out your treasured possessions. Sadly I am not tipped while you are telling those stories.

a) my used to have one

Is there anything sadder than comic dealers trying to tell jokes? :cry:

a) my used to have one

Absolutely true. The glamour life I lead. Much like a bartender I am behind the table to hear your stories of motherly woe, your triumphs and failures in collecting and the things you could have bought if your horrible mother hadn't thrown out your treasured possessions. Sadly I am not tipped while you are telling those stories.

I'm sorry if I missed the joke. As a buyer, It's my own convention pet-peeve: PUT THE PRICE OF THE BOOK WHERE I CAN SEE IT SO I DON'T HAVE TO BOTHER YOU IN ASKING!

But I guess I'm not the norm so I'm just going to have to get therapy and work thru it.

A serious question: As a dealer, would you not rather hear those stories about mom's throwing away comics, "I used to have that," etc., from convention goers?

I put the price on the back of the book with a nice little sticker that comes off. No big company labels that require goo be gone or other product to remove.

If you've read many a thread there seems to be the camp that believes if I'm putting post it notes on my books I'm upping the price at the show.

There are those that believe that a price sticker strategically placed at the front must be hiding a defect.

I also don't think that post it notes are very professional looking.

If you are serious about the book I have no problem bringing it down for you to look at.

Not many buyers I know can see from 4-6 feet away and make a decision even if it was priced on the front.

While I see your YELLING POINT POST OF WANTING TO SEE THE PRICE my objective is to get the buyer to stop and look, engage the buyer and try and find out what they are looking for. Not all of my books are on the wall, I don't bring 35K books to the show. You know, communicate, maybe give them a card and possibly even sell them something.

As far as the stories go they get a little old since I've been in the comic business since 1973.

Not many buyers I know can see from 4-6 feet away and make a decision even if it was priced on the front.

That is true, myself included.

As far as the stories go they get a little old since I've been in the comic business since 1973.

God, I can only imagine...

I put the price on the back of the book with a nice little sticker that comes off. No big company labels that require goo be gone or other product to remove.

If you've read many a thread there seems to be the camp that believes if I'm putting post it notes on my books I'm upping the price at the show.

I also don't think that post it notes are very professional looking.

If you are serious about the book I have no problem bringing it down for you to look at.

Maybe you could put the 5 figure books on the table so I don't need to bother you and you can put the dollar books up on the wall that way your showing off the books you really want to sell.