• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Did This Receive a 6.5?

36 posts in this topic

My guess is that they were thinking 7.5 and knocked a point off for the pen writing.

Yes.

6.5 is a classic drop grade for a VF range book with one moderate stupid thing done to it.

Like 5.0 is a classic drop grade for VFish books with a moderate sub-crease.

Agreeing with you here except for the 'one stupid moderate thing'. IMO, it's one, severe stupid thing. I realize grading is a judgement call, and the severity of a flaw is a judgement call but I don't think the graders thought this through enough. That is a nasty flaw. The comic should not be called a strong Fine.

Okay, I've got a book with, literally, one dot of ink on the spine (bled through). It received a Purple label . Here, we are dealing with a large quantity of scribble defacing the main character and it 'only' receives a 1.0 point deduction ? So, in theory, if I were to scribble over my one dot the value of the book goes up. Something is not right with the officiating here or the rules stink.

Okay, I've got a book with, literally, one dot of ink on the spine (bled through). It received a Purple label . Here, we are dealing with a large quantity of scribble defacing the main character and it 'only' receives a 1.0 point deduction ? So, in theory, if I were to scribble over my one dot the value of the book goes up. Something is not right with the officiating here or the rules stink.
So simply exploit the system. Crack it, scribble on it and make it blue. Welcome to the end.

So simply exploit the system. Crack it, scribble on it and make it blue. Welcome to the end.

Any system that encourages the defacing of a book is wrong. Got CT with a pen, scrape it off. Got a small corner crease, cut it off and say it's production. But worst of all is having Stan Lee sign a DC book !

Any system that encourages the defacing of a book is wrong. Got CT with a pen, scrape it off. Got a small corner crease, cut it off and say it's production. But worst of all is having Stan Lee sign a DC book !

Not necessarily. It could be covering up a blemish. ; )

Anyone know why CGC gave this a 6.5 but no notations of how the cover was basically ruined by someone taking a marker pen and giving Wonder Woman a hairy chest and legs?

wonder%20woman%208_zpsdgc0wgyo.jpg

I've seen other books get a 6.5 with unattractive writing. This might be a textbook CGC 6.5 with writing. You may disagree with it but it's not uncommon.

My guess is that they were thinking 7.5 and knocked a point off for the pen writing.

Yes.

6.5 is a classic drop grade for a VF range book with one moderate stupid thing done to it.

Agreeing with you here except for the 'one stupid moderate thing'. IMO, it's one, severe stupid thing. I realize grading is a judgement call, and the severity of a flaw is a judgement call but I don't think the graders thought this through enough. That is a nasty flaw. The comic should not be called a strong Fine.

It's severe now that it's been pointed out but a few people actually almost missed it initially.

I can both understand why they called it a Fine+ and why you call it a VG+ but as I've often pointed out it's CGC's job to keep submissions coming in, hence the different grading standard.

They need to please both the buyer and the seller.

With this defect, it's easy enough to see and avoid so anyone who doesn't want this 6.5 can clearly pass on it.

I think that's probably the reasoning behind the grade.

Yes.

Well remember the "grade" reflects the structural condition of the comic more than the esthetic condition (comics poorly centered get no "points off" etc...) so a comic with a popped staple will get killed but a comic with a silly kids scribbles will only get a wrist slap.

:hi: