• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst issues of Amazing Spider Man
1 1

102 posts in this topic

The original Amazing Spiderman from the 1960s to the 1990s.

Worst issues I think are from 161 to 186.

Peter didnt graduate from college because he skipped Gym class

Wrong.... the worst issue is the one with this page in it and only because of this page.

spid_stat_big.jpg

Edited by bababooey

That 161 to 186 run was pretty awful. Those issues were so cookie cutter too that it felt really boring.

Worse issue for me was without a doubt the One More Day stuff, but you did say the 90s. I survived a lot of bad stuff, but I still struggle with Spidey since OMD.

ASM 361, the first Carnage ish. The title had been on the downturn for some time, but this was pretty tired stuff, despite its popularity. Led to even worse things, especially Maximum Carnage, which was horrendous.

Not really too keen on Mark Bagley's early work. He did get a lot better.

The preceding issues by Erik Larsen haven't aged well.

Storywise, downhill for quite a while during this period.

I preferred the J. M. Dematteis stories in Spectacular Spider-Man.

Amazing Spider-Man #208 was such a let down to me that I did not read another amazing spider-man for 10 years.

That was the first issue I ever received through subscription. :sumo:

Amazing Spider-Man #208 was such a let down to me that I did not read another amazing spider-man for 10 years.

That was the first issue I ever received through subscription. :sumo:

Mine was Nova 18. Another classic.

One of the preceding issues had a crossover with ASM 171, not distributed in the UK, and I shouldn't have bothered hunting down a copy because it's an incredibly lame murder 'mystery'.

Terrible issue.

I stopped reading it shortly after 300, but I'd say the worst run was in and around the 180s.

As a general rule, I find late 1970s Marvels lack the certain secret sauce that most Marvels have.

This and this.

I stopped reading around #288 or so, and the post-Hobgoblin issues (after the mid 250s) were bad. Story but particularly art. I dropped the title to go to college, little did I know that a Spidey Renaissance came starting with issue 298.

At one point I was enjoying PPTSS much more than ASM. I learned that while Al Milgrom wasn't the greatest technical artist, he was a terrific story-telling artist a la Ditko.

Yes, late 70s Marvels were God-awful. Then JIm Shooter took lead and the ship was righted.

Wrong.... the worst issue is the one with this page in it and only because of this page.

spid_stat_big.jpg

What many do not realized is that Romita JR was brought in to do that DPS after the comic had already been scripted and written. Even Marvel had no idea what they were really doing which is why at the bottom there is the disclaimer that says, "Don't ask us."

I agree... it is the worst issue ever. It actually caused me to lose my enchantment with comics in general. However, it did make me stop buying almost all current books and focus on Silver keys and some Golden Age that I wanted to focus on.

Instead of a $100 a month habit, I started using that money in other places. So... at least there is that.

The original clone story, 139-150. bad idea then, got worse later years later, and then got even worse. You can't beat a bad one that keeps coming back to haunt you. Of course you did have spidey keeping the golden typewriter or whatever it was and then the brand new day storyline; but nothing compares to the clone storyline.

From 161 to 186 of the original Amazing Spider Man, the things that were just awful

weird Punisher guest star issues even the one with Jigsaw. Punisher acted weird. Didnt even act like the gruff violent Punisher at all.

the Reptron bad guy or whatever his name was. A rip off of The Lizard basically

lousy Kingpin guest starring

the so called wonderful college graduation for Peter. He missed Gym class of all classes. Yeah he goes around flipping through the city in the air with the spider webs and his agility but come on. He ditched Gym class the whole time in college?

I was in the LCS soon after this appeared, and a guy I’d never seen before was quietly talking about comics with one of the employees, when he suddenly moved out, stood in the middle of the store and shouted …

“HAVE YOU READ THAT ONE MORE DAY? IT’S BLOODY MINT !!!”

I was very impressed with someone being capable of enthusing about comics quite so intensely, an ability I lost a long time ago, too jaded now, and over such an atrocious storyline.

Never seen him since.